Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m sure someone has written about this already, but mysearches haven’t turned up anything. I apologize if I am rehashing a played outtopic.

I live in Colorado and I am concerned that the summer tiresthat come on the Track Pack equipped ‘13s will be dangerous to drive on 6 or 8months out of the year. Does anyone have experience with these tires in coldtemperatures? Do they harden up below a certain degree?

I am assuming the first thing I am going to have to do whenmy 5.0 arrives in January or February is buy all-season tires for it so I canactually drive it in the winter, spring and fall. Am I correct in thatassumption?

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
Yes please buy all season or even winter tires, for the sake of both you and your car. I have summer tires on my wheels and they are horrible below 60* or when wet. And I live in Kentucky, I know Colorado is much worse. Be safe brother

·
Registered
65 Posts
I live in Canada and those P Zeros are amazing in the summer but when the temperature starts to drop they go rock hard and you have absolutely no traction! I agree get some good all seasons or winter tires. Personally I have Pirelli Winter Carving Edge studded winter tires just incase and they are amazing.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I live in Canada and those P Zeros are amazing in the summer but when the temperature starts to drop they go rock hard and you have absolutely no traction! I agree get some good all seasons or winter tires. Personally I have Pirelli Winter Carving Edge studded winter tires just incase and they are amazing.
I have the pzero neros and they drive fine for me in the snow. I drove on ice last winter with them. They drive better than my large off road truck tires that were on my old tundra and I thought it kept traction pretty well.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have been running my stock P-Zero summer-only tires so far this year including on many days when it's freezing.

They work fine for "normal" driving ... yes, the traction is not as good ... but they are FINE for just regular driving. You won't be tackling the twisties hard, and if you try a hard launch you'll get horrible axle-hop (that only happened once!). But if you're just driving from point a to point b, you're fine.

I will never take them in the snow, however.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ya that's the thing, in Canada we get extreme cold, snow, and ice. The plan is to move to LA soon I hate our crazy weather here

·
Registered
453 Posts
I am fortunate in Virginia it gets cold by the truly nasty weather isn't that frequent. I can work from home those days or hijack my wife's 2009 Pilot.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I am fortunate in Virginia it gets cold by the truly nasty weather isn't that frequent. I can work from home those days or hijack my wife's 2009 Pilot.
I always wanted an 4 wheel drive Infiniti for driving in the snow. I've watched a lot of people tear off down the road with snow and ice in them from a dead stop. Always impressed.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm guessing in your area, weather can get treacherous for a few months out of the year... if I were you, I would invest in a set of snow tires mounted on a set of wheels strictly for the colder months. When the temps start to climb, throw those summer-only sets back on and enjoy the superior levels of grip! The very least, all-seasons for the cold months.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
This is why Miami is just amazing! Lol not salt, no snow, no problems, in the other hand we got insurance as high as 500 a month! and crazy driving!, but no tear on the car

·
Registered
33 Posts
I live in Chicago and I notice and realized why the p zero summer tires are summer tires. When I turn into a busy street I have to be careful no one is coming because too much gas will have me spinning, wheel hop when tires r cold n it feels like I have almost no traction. But I can't expect much from these tires in the winter

·
Registered
389 Posts
Those pzeros are crap in winter. Once it hit -30 I couldn't go anywhere. I had to get some Bridgestone pole position all seasons. On my v6 I had Pirelli Pzero Nero m+s and they were the best all season tire I've ever had. I could go through snow better then some trucks with them. I wanted the carving edge but they don't make them anymore so for now I'm using the bridgestones. If it gets too bad in winter I might try the blizzaks out and stud them

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

I'm guessing in your area, weather can get treacherous for a few months out of the year... if I were you, I would invest in a set of snow tires mounted on a set of wheels strictly for the colder months. When the temps start to climb, throw those summer-only sets back on and enjoy the superior levels of grip! The very least, all-seasons for the cold months.
Where I live just last month we got 70 cm of snow. Most we've got in a month was 50 cm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts