Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 1996 V6 mustang and want to start raising the power on it and would like to know what would be the best way to start modifying.

Thanks,
Ryan :chin:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well how much do you want to spend? I can think of hundreds of different combinations of power adders. First thing's first...start with true dual exhaust. If you have the money, put a Vortech supercharger kit on there like my car...You can buy my engine and blower with computer for 2 grand. Your car and my car has the same engine and bay so it would be an easy swap. If that is out of your price range, id say a superchip or hypertech chip in it with a tranny kit if its auto, or a nice clutch and short throw shifter if its manual. Id also consider getting an 8.8 or 9" rear end. Mine has an 8.8 and its just fine. You can do head porting, intake porting, head shaving, a cam, injectors, under drive pulley, valves... I mean there is a number of things you can do. The real question is, how deep are your pockets?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right now I have about $700, so I should probably go with exhaust right? If so what exhaust system is the best for my car?

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
you could do takeoff exhaust, CAI, pulley, and possibly even BUY gears and tlok witht hat money. (this doesnt include labor) that would give you a great start.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
I believe what Zim suggested to you is the best way to start modding. Being that you have a 96 and the Underdrive Pulley and CAI are bout relatively cheap and something you can do yourself I would suggest them first. Then I would get a GT take-off exhaust system or go to a muffler shop and have a custom set made for you. You will need to decide which mufflers you want and how loud you want it to be. After these mods I would then get a Tlok and Gears (either 3.73 or 4.10 gears)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Does ne one know where I can get Underdrive pulleys for a good price? Im also looking for some long tube headers for a good price (I don't know what brand to get. Are they all the same?) I have a 2003 Ford Mustang (V6). Oh yeah, MONEY IS NO ISSUE so feel free to put what ever you want.

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
pulleys will be the same price pretty much anywhere you look... give our sponsors the business :)

go with EE

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Ditto, try Matt at www.crossroadzdirect.com He is a heckuv a nice guy, I have done a lot of business with him and he has assured me he will meet or beat anyone else's prices on anything he sells.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
bit_cloud said:
Wouldn't a aftermarket exhaust like borla be better than a stock gt exhaust take-off?
Not really. Mainly its all about sound. Unless you start getting into the 400rwhp range will your exaust size and manufacturer start to matter

·
Registered
126 Posts
I made my own exhaust. I don't see how paying hundreds for an exhaust system is any better then the one I made. It doesnt leak, it has mandrel bends....its the same thing. Find yourself someone who does exhaust cheap, unless you can do it yourself. I put flowmasters on mine, but according to everyone else they suck. 50 bucks a muffler with a cool rumble suddenly sucks now...

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
Flowmasters are alight they are just used by everyone and they do drone at highway speeds. My friend has them and I just wasnt impressed with them. Its whatever you like though. I prefer Mac Flowpaths.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Define drone. I mean really, I don't get it.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
232SCstang said:
Define drone. I mean really, I don't get it.
Drone is the resonating sound (Drumming Effect) of the slowdown of the exhaust pulse in the chambered area of the Flowmaster muffler that penetrates thru the floorboard. It is most noticable from the 1800 to 2500 rpm range on the highway. The intense pulating effect at highway speeds caused me to remove mine in less than 3 days and install Dynomax ultraflows. NO DRONE

·
Registered
126 Posts
Is drone necessarily a bad thing? I don't find it obnoxious, and in my car, it doesn't bother me as much because on the highway at 80mph, I think I hear my tires over my exhaust. Around town when I cruise out of overdrive at around 45 I hear it slightly, but it doesnt bother me. Its quiet enough where I can clearly hear people on my cell phone with one window down. So basically it all boils down to personal preference eh?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts