Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I need to disconnect the battery or trickle charge it?? For about 6 months it won't be used

·
Registered
870 Posts
Do I need to disconnect the battery or trickle charge it?? For about 6 months it won't be used
Is it going to be inside or outside? I would say a trickle charger will do the trick to keep the battery up to speed I have seen some solar ones that will keep it charged.
If inside I would jack it up and leave the wheels on. If it is out side make sure it is not under a tree or anything where birds can sit and do there thing, also keeps the sap off it. They make all weather covers for them but I am not sure about them.

Now do you have someone you trust to start it every once in awhile. If so that is the best thing to do. I would change the oil when I pulled it out of storage. I have stored many cars over the years when I deployed for 6 or 7 months outside at my parents house without any problem my dad would go out and start the car every once in awhile. He would hook up a battery charger the day before I would come get it.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
i will also add in to this since it'll be sitting...go ahead and let about 10 lbs of air out of the tires when you park it...that'll help keep the tires from going bad while you're away from the car :good:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Don't forget a fuel treatment. Gas will turn to a goopy mess over time that will reak havoc on the fuel system. People seem to like that sta-bil stuff.

·
Premium Member
25,510 Posts
pick up a Battery Tender brand trickle charger and keep that on it (set it up so it doesnt sit on the floor (i wouldnt at least)

·
Registered
454 Posts
pick up a Battery Tender brand trickle charger and keep that on it (set it up so it doesnt sit on the floor (i wouldnt at least)
+11

The best is the Battery Tender. They have a feature that shuts off the charger when the battery is full and then turns itself back on when the charge starts to drop again. This way you won't "cook" your battery.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Battery tender was delivered and hooked up and 10lbs of pressure have been let out of the tires, thanks guy!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Yea i would over inflate the tires a little bit, because then the tires don't get a flat spot on it, and your not thumping down the road, because the day you take it out that extra 10-15 will be gone

·
Premium Member
25,510 Posts
you may want to consider leaving it on stands or those things you sit the tires on to keep them from getting bad flat spots even with lower psi, but may want to have rubber mounts if you store on stands to keep metal on metal from going to the floor

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've always heard over-inflate so that you won't get flat spots. But even still, the tires these days aren't as prone to flat spots so if the car isn't going to be stored for several months to years I wouldn't worry too much about flat spots. You may hear some thumping when you first drive the car but it will disappear rather quickly.

I store my car 6 to 7 months of the year, I overinflate the tires and I have never had a problem with tires, gas, or battery issues using the advice I gave above.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Right now my car has a battery charger to it.

The thing is called "charge it" from napa, $50,
I keep it running all the time, and keeps my battery stable, and I go out once in awhile to start it up

1 - 16 of 16 Posts