Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i have to go to philadelphia on sunday for work so when i come back itll be november. Decided to put the stang away saturday. I already got the insurance ready to switch to theft/fire and heres my list of things im doing so far. Please add in more tips!

-fresh oil change
-fill fuel tank
-fuel stabilizer
-wash, pre wax cleaner, wax
-clean interior, apply leather conditioner
-close hvac vents
-put it on jackstands to avoid tire flat spots
-remove some air out of tires
-use vaseline on weatherstripping to avoid sticking
-paper towels under wiper blades
-since the windows raise and lower when opening doors, ill lower them just a tad so that when battery is removed i can still open/close doors.
-remove battery and store indoors, check voltage monthly and charge as necessary
-Cover it with my custom fit cover, which covers the exhaust too so rodents will not enter
-store in a closed garage

Should i crack the lugnuts loose before raising it? I want to rotate the tires, but do it in the spring not this weekend, probly bad idea to loosen them while up on the stands but also bad to leave them loose all winter, or tighten them with torque wrench on stands.

March 2 cant come fast enough, but no way am i letting my baby see salt. It still is showroom condition and i plan to keep it that way!

·
Registered
34 Posts
So i have to go to philadelphia on sunday for work so when i come back itll be november. Decided to put the stang away saturday. I already got the insurance ready to switch to theft/fire and heres my list of things im doing so far. Please add in more tips!

<snip a bunch of good stuff>

Should i crack the lugnuts loose before raising it? I want to rotate the tires, but do it in the spring not this weekend, probly bad idea to loosen them while up on the stands but also bad to leave them loose all winter, or tighten them with torque wrench on stands.
My recommendation: DON'T LOOSEN THE LUG NUTS!

I say this because, you then create the 1% chance that in the Spring, in a hurry, you forget that you planned to rotate the tires, and drive off and lose a wheel (or two!) going down the road.

I'd also think it is slightly better to leave everything properly fastened over the winter, eliminating the miniscule chance of allowing water to get into a joint and freeze where the joint would otherwise have been torqued down to no gap at all. Probably only a theoretical issue, but hey...

Better safe than sorry on something this easy. Just break them loose in the spring...

Good Luck!
--
FluxPrism

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Hey Stig

Get me a Plane ticket and send me your credit card and gas card and I will personally fly up and drive your car down to Florida. That way we can keep it running and when you have free time you can fly down and drive it all winter any time you want.

Don't thank me because I'm just a nice guy doing a fellow forum member a personal favor.:lmao:

Ronnie:good:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Oh I will help you just as Ronnie will. :) AZ is much better for cars than FL in the winter. Let me do it! :D

All jokes aside, I used to have to store my car as I lived in Northern NJ until last year and that list is a good one.

I will add to put steel wool in your exhaust pipes so mice dont get in. They hate steel wool as it irritates them and they cant chew through it either. Just dont forget to pull it out on start up.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Any suggestions storing a car outside? It's in a driveway but no garage for me :( And if we get another winter like last year in NY, I may drive it on occasion.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the offers guys lmao, its probably better for the car to be driven than sitting in a garage but here the salt would eat up the body in 7 years. Even though i rustproof it the salt just ruins your car regardless.

I have a covercraft custom fit cover i bought from american muscle. I park it outside one weekend a month when i visit my hometown, where heavy winds and storms are commom. It protects from the rain getting through and heavy winds dont move it at all thanks to the elasticized bottom

Cyclone, im sure doing the same things i will should be fine. Do you have a block heater? Itd help im sure, and keep the battery on a trickle charger since youll want to drive it time to time.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Well If you are going to store it outside the same things apply. I would put the car up on blocks and cover it but you need to be careful with covers as they can rub the paint pretty bad. Dont cheap out on the cover. If you can run power to a battery tender then that will be great. If not then a start or two during the week to keep oil to the top of the motor and to lubricate seals would be ideal as well for both scenarios.

If you are going to store it outside be sure that it is on level ground and a hard surface too.

Now. If you have a really light winter than moving the car, driving it a few miles a week etc. That is the best case. It will keep the battery charged, moving parts lubed, tires turned so they dont flat spot etc.

When i used to store my car back east I would started it once a week and roll it back turn it around etc. as long as there wasnt snow on the ground where I could get stuck. I lived in a very remote area on the side of a mountain so lots of snow and gravel on the roads. I only drove it on the street in the winter a few days after it would rain and wash all the crap off the road.

Steel wool in the exhaust would be a must if you were going to store it outside. The last thing you want to hear is acorns, weeds, mouse fur and turds flying out of our pipes. lol. ut some tin foil or something over the tips with a rubber band so that you will be able to tell if any birds or mice got in there too. That would be for long term storage over the winter. Not necessary if you are going to start it a few times a week.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm delaying doing this as long as possible!!! What did you raise the car up on? I can't find stands anywhere out here. Is there anything make-shift I can use?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If you're storing it outside, I wouldn't put it up on stands anyway. Helps wheel thieves with their job. :p

If in a garage, there are all kinds of things you can use: blocks of wood, concrete blocks... anything that is solid, has a flat space, and can take weight.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
pwrby4d said:
Well If you are going to store it outside the same things apply. I would put the car up on blocks and cover it but you need to be careful with covers as they can rub the paint pretty bad. Dont cheap out on the cover. If you can run power to a battery tender then that will be great. If not then a start or two during the week to keep oil to the top of the motor and to lubricate seals would be ideal as well for both scenarios.

If you are going to store it outside be sure that it is on level ground and a hard surface too.

Now. If you have a really light winter than moving the car, driving it a few miles a week etc. That is the best case. It will keep the battery charged, moving parts lubed, tires turned so they dont flat spot etc.

When i used to store my car back east I would started it once a week and roll it back turn it around etc. as long as there wasnt snow on the ground where I could get stuck. I lived in a very remote area on the side of a mountain so lots of snow and gravel on the roads. I only drove it on the street in the winter a few days after it would rain and wash all the crap off the road.

Steel wool in the exhaust would be a must if you were going to store it outside. The last thing you want to hear is acorns, weeds, mouse fur and turds flying out of our pipes. lol. ut some tin foil or something over the tips with a rubber band so that you will be able to tell if any birds or mice got in there too. That would be for long term storage over the winter. Not necessary if you are going to start it a few times a week.
Thanks. Last year we got like no snow all winter. Fingers crossed for that again this winter!!

·
Registered
3,713 Posts
Alabama weather is so sporatic.
I'm going to drive my car in the winter.
one year, the coldest it got was in the 30s
the next year we had 6-18 inches of snow...

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm delaying doing this as long as possible!!! What did you raise the car up on? I can't find stands anywhere out here. Is there anything make-shift I can use?
you cant find jack stands? really? Come on Germans love cars there has got to be some sets somewhere!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts