Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will admit that I enjoy watching Street Outlaws. I would like the series more if it had more racing and less reality TV drama scripted in. I think my opinion matches the general consensus of those that watch the show. I am also amused by Farmtruck and ASN. They could have their own spin off show based on their "fishing trips" and goofy antics.

When the Discovery Channel gave New Orleans a season I watched it with the sound muted. The narration is beyond catastrophic. I was certain that Street Outlaws would be cancelled, or the producers would see their mistake and put the New Orleans attempt behind them.

The New Orleans series is back, and I can only ask, "Why"? Why would Discovery make the same exact mistake and failure twice? I watched the first episode of the second attempt expecting improvements. After 10 minutes I was glad I recorded the show. I used fast-forward through most of the nightmare. The races are decent to watch, but the fake drama and poorly read scripts are unbearable.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
i watched SO when the one dude wrecked his firebird, but lost interest when the next season got going. It was just too stupid for my brain to dumbdown to lol. As a father of a 14 year old, this show is my worst enemy haha. This is terrible for parents everywhere. Glorifying street racing with so much fake drama grabs the kids and their little brains soak it right up. All we can do is hope our kids figure it all out before they become some losers life big chief, farm truck, or any other of those idiots lol.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i watched SO when the one dude wrecked his firebird, but lost interest when the next season got going. It was just too stupid for my brain to dumbdown to lol. As a father of a 14 year old, this show is my worst enemy haha. This is terrible for parents everywhere. Glorifying street racing with so much fake drama grabs the kids and their little brains soak it right up. All we can do is hope our kids figure it all out before they become some losers life big chief, farm truck, or any other of those idiots lol.
Being in Indy, you are in a grudge / street racing mecca.

When I owned GrudgBike.com (site no longer exists) I had a goal of getting guys off the street and onto tracks. The track can support the racing, the betting, and the fun while providing a safe environment. Most guys have no problems going to the track, but the streets still entice racers that want to prove they can go down a regular road.

AB, I cannot deny my involvement in a few street races. I owned a 71 Chevelle SS in high school. That car almost begged me to race it as a child. Several Super Street bikes that were fully registered and insured also made a few stupid passes that should not have been made. I lost a friend that decided to race a Supra with his bike. That single incident woke me up and removed the stupidity.

When it comes to our children, all we can do is teach them, and then trust them. They are going to make mistakes just like we did. Hopefully they listen and learn from our mistakes.

I normally call the teenage driver that is in my house into the room when I see a crash on shows like Street Outlaws. I want my little ones to know that there are greater consequences than tickets, arrests, impounded cars, and jail.

My children grew up with me racing. They have been to the track with me several times. They enjoy it, and know that speed belongs in a controlled environment.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I knew someone who knew someone connected to the show. Said the betting and everything was staged, most the stuff is phony! Can't verify the story tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The racing is real. The cars are real. The bets are real for the most part. A lot of things are staged and scripted, including a few of the bets. The racing takes place in a safe and secured location, but they are real races.

If you want to see real street racing with the guys from Street Outlaws, you can look up Cash Days 2017 by 1320video on YouTube. You will see crashes, arrests, police evasion, bets, and arguments over money. None of it is scripted. The reality is that each participant is involved in illegal activity.

As a former grudge racer I can assure you the money is real. The respect earned is the trophy. Not getting caught is a bonus.

I'm glad I grew up. Now I watch others do dumb things. If they want to play the game, I am willing to watch. If you want to race with me, or have me drive or ride for you, we will take the race to the track. I want to know that there are no pedestrians, no traffic, and that an ambulance is close by.

·
Lorraine's driver
8,188 Posts
The problem with the wreck that Big Chief had was all it did was show kids that you can have the biggest, nastiest crash and survive. But, not only survive, also get a newer - faster racecar. Whether that was his money or donated money from the show doesn't matter to the kids seeing all that. Dude almost (and 6 times out of 10 with that big of a wreck) left his family fatherless. Other than dying, he certainly could have gotten paralyzed etc leaving his family without a primary source of income. I agree, all we can do is teach our kids and hope that they learn and take experienced advice. IMO, what should have happened is the whole show should have gotten cancelled. It's probably making even more money now lol.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The show is making plenty of money. It has millions of viewers that enjoy the show.

...and who doesn't like a big explosion or spectacular crash?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm just hoping my kid doesn't become one of the casualties lol.
I have those same fears everytime my child leaves the driveway. Our parents also had concerns about the choices we would make. Being a parent is stressful.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I hate to say this - BUT, I enjoy the show. It sure is better then most of the crap on TV in this day and age.
I can assure you that the racing is 100% honest and real as well as the $$$ they run against each other for.
I know a few of the people on this show and was invited to spectate a couple of years ago.
It is on a closed road and their are plenty of Police and safety equipment on hand.
It looks longer on TV but they race 1/8 mile most of the time depending on location.
I was a street racer back in the mid-60's to mid 70's and went over a lot of the East Coast doing really "REAL" street racing. No closed course in those days, And depending where you raced, Cops were a huge problem. There were some towns where the Police would tolerate the racing and just gathered up people drinking or acting stupid.
Those were the days of things that will never be enjoyed again. The young guys just will never know that era in history.
Olerodder can probably tell us a few adventures as well.
These TV shows are not like the old days, but to us old car guys, They are still entertaining.
Ronnie

·
Registered
727 Posts
The racing is real but they definitely trump up the drama and it's a controlled environment such that it's s closed road with ems on hand.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Of course it is a closed and really controlled environment. It does not show on the TV but there are many and I mean many other people there Watching, Filming, Fire rescue, Ambulance and guests.
It is a TV show and what they do is great if you like it and something to complain about if you don't.
I'm one that likes it and I have a few friends over to watch it and we enjoy it.
I'm sure NOBODY would think they just go out on a public open street and race and show it on TV.
Ronnie

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have a hard time watching the New Orleans version. It reminds me of a horribly scripted, poorly practiced, and sadly executed high school play.

They all need an acting and speech coach.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts