Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a string fuel smell in the compartment of my car when driving. Ha it when I bought it last August and thought it was only running rich. Got a tuner from AM and after uploading the street 93 tune the smell went away and the engine ran better. Changed the oil the other day and now the smell is back. Tune is the same. Only other variable is the outside temps are starting to warm up. 40s vice 20s. Any ideas?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a string fuel smell in the compartment of my car when driving. Ha it when I bought it last August and thought it was only running rich. Got a tuner from AM and after uploading the street 93 tune the smell went away and the engine ran better. Changed the oil the other day and now the smell is back. Tune is the same. Only other variable is the outside temps are starting to warm up. 40s vice 20s. Any ideas?
Check the fuel filler neck seal that goes into the side of the fuel tank. Mine went bad last week. It's very common

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
As stated above, it is common for the filler neck to rust through on "rust belt" cars. Dirt and debris collect under the corrugated plastic cover, trapping moisture and the cancer follows:

This is from a Northern friend's car:

Removing the plastic condom and spraying the tube with a anti-rust product like LocTite Extend may catch it in time.

My '03 has been and will be a Florida car for its whole life but I still removed the cover and shoot it with Extend once a year or so...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Assuming (not arguing with CliffyK by any means) that it is this how would I find a replacement? Problem is I am in Japan. I will have the car on a lift Saturday and be able to take a look. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
490 Posts
As stated above, it is common for the filler neck to rust through on "rust belt" cars. Dirt and debris collect under the corrugated plastic cover, trapping moisture and the cancer follows:

This is from a Northern friend's car:

Removing the plastic condom and spraying the tube with a anti-rust product like LocTite Extend may catch it in time.

My '03 has been and will be a Florida car for its whole life but I still removed the cover and shoot it with Extend once a year or so...
I'm talking about the actual rubber grommet that goes in the side of the tank where the filler neck goes. My car doesn't have an ounce of rust underneath.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts