Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of the Ford plenum covers over my engine (05 GT v8) and bought a strut bar off a member from another forum. I put it on yesterday and am wondering how snug it should come down over the engine/cover. It's tighter in the back than the front, as far as clearing the cover- but I didn't know if the brace bar should just be touching the engine/cover, or if it should be cranked down on there pretty good. I tried to get it somewhere in between- firm but not too tight. Never done it before, so just checking.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
The Strut Tower Brace Bar should not touch the engine at all. It's meant to join to two strut towers together thus strengthening the rigidness of your suspension.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
primer2tone said:
The Strut Tower Brace Bar should not touch the engine at all. It's meant to join to two strut towers together thus strengthening the rigidness of your suspension.
Crap... So is that really bad that it touches?

·
Registered
595 Posts
The plenum cover is purely cosmetic, so the struct bar touching it doesn't really matter for typical street driving conditions. However, if you are doing any severe driving or cornering in which the frame will get a lot of flex, then the stress on the strut bar could crack the plenum cover. Again, since the plenum is only cosmetic, it won't cause any issues with how the car runs, but you could end up with some ugly cracks in the cover.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
primer2tone said:
If you are having clearance issues, you might be able to use a few washers to raise your strut tower bar.
That is a killer idea! Thanks :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the Scott Drake STB and it clears by at lease a 1/4 inch. Check to be sure the plenum cover is seated all the way down in rear. Do you have a two hole or four hole brace?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GTRob504 said:
I have the Scott Drake STB and it clears by at lease a 1/4 inch. Check to be sure the plenum cover is seated all the way down in rear. Do you have a two hole or four hole brace?
2 hole. For now I took the plenum cover off- and it looks like there's tons of room. So weird.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
GTRob504 said:
Who makes a 4 hole brace? I want!

·
Registered
158 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts