Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i got a pair of Polk 10" subs and an amp. I read somewhere on here that there is a problem with the stock cd player not having pre-outs. I didnt quite understand that problem, since it seems to me that you would be wireing out of the tuner.. .

Anyway, my question is this:
Do i need to replace the stock cd player?
Do i need to replace the stock tuner?

Do i need anything else special other than a basic wireing kit to make this install.?

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
lol i got my subs hooked up to my stock AM/FM.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Inline Converters are available. Available at Best buy, they arent that expensive. What they do is tap into your rear speaker lines, and send it through a converter. Out of that converter are 2 RCA plugs that you can use as preouts.

I had them.. before I just didnt want to screw with them anymore and got myself a new headunit.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Inline Converters are available. Available at Best buy, they arent that expensive. What they do is tap into your rear speaker lines, and send it through a converter. Out of that converter are 2 RCA plugs that you can use as preouts.
Edit: What about the whats it called wire that turns on the amp when the head unit comes on?

will that sound as good as coming right out of the head unit? If so that sounds alot easier than removing the head unit.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
The quality will suck if you use them. trust me. Jst save of the money for a cd player with pre-outs. U will be much happier.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so you think doing them like mustangworld says (using the data cable) is the best? And ill have to run a remote line, cuz i know my amp needs that.

also, i have a 2000 v6. That doesnt have the mach 460 does it? The install is the same though right?

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
Um I don't thank Non-Mach systems have a data cable? I could be wrong though. Never even fooled with stock stuff.

If its Non mach then you would be SO much better of getting a aftermarket head unit. Do you know how much power a non mach head unit puts out? like 10-12 rms.......... :shock: :wtf:

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
What about the whats it called wire that turns on the amp when the head unit comes on?
Thats just a remote switch wire. I never wired those directly into my head unit, because I want total control over my sub. So I wired it to a 12V switch. If I dont feel like bumping and still want to listen to music, I simpily dont turn it on. Also helpful when you're blasting and you see a cop.... flip, sub kicks off ;).

The quality wont be there, but it'll work. I eventually said F* it and got a head unit with preouts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The quality wont be there, but it'll work. I eventually said F* it and got a head unit with preouts.
yeah your prolly right. .

another question though:
Right now my tuner and cd player are 2 seperate units. So if i get an aftermarket headunit, ill have a big hole in my dash! What should i put there?

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
I believe is has the double din not like ours Evin....

Go to a local stereo shop and they should sell I kit that will fill up that extra hole in the dash with a coin holder thingy. Then you can buy Zim's switch panels and put them on. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow thanks for the help guys! and i might get one of those pony lights! thats super sweet. Zim you can pm me or e-mail me if you are reading this!

EDIT: yeah i know a dude who is going to help me with the install, he has those hook tool things. . . now i just need to figgure out what head unit i want. . and i also have to find these pesky little brackets that my amp uses to hold on the speaker wires and power cable. There are these posts that stick out and it takes these little gold brackets that slide over the posts and hold the wires on. Anyone know what im talking about? Know where to get these?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hard to say, they look kinda like that. . . im at work now but ill try to get some pics on tonight when i get home.

those look round though, where mine are long cylinders.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok so my friend has a headunit he wants to sell its a JVC kd-s640, 40x4 watts, and has rca pre-outs. He wants like 50 bucks for it. What do you all think? Its pretty old, but he says it will play burned cds and it works good.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
thats alot better Cd Player than you got now. I would take it.

Make your life alot easier.

Make your music sound crisper to. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts