Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend got me a cell phone case for Christmas that matched my car. Unfortunately they sent the wrong model and the price in shipping it back wasn't worth the hassle. She was really upset over it, so I dissected it and made it part of the Mustang...

The '13 decklid panel, ripped off the car and disassembled. What a pain. Broke three of the clips in the process, so when I reinstalled it I used some 3M tape to help hold it on.

What we had to work with... disassembled gas cap and the cell case.

Using the tri-bar as a guide, I went all slice 'n' dice on it's ass.

That looks nice. Let's put this baby together.

Gas cap mocked up to see how it looks... me likey.

Decklid back in one piece.

Back on the car (sorry it was dark at the time of reassembly).

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
A friend got me a cell phone case for Christmas that matched my car. Unfortunately they sent the wrong model and the price in shipping it back wasn't worth the hassle. She was really upset over it, so I dissected it and made it part of the Mustang...

The '13 decklid panel, ripped off the car and disassembled. What a pain. Broke three of the clips in the process, so when I reinstalled it I used some 3M tape to help hold it on.

Hey dude I'm from laurel county to !!!

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
Genius! That's using your noodle! Lol, I broke my tabs too when I replaced my faux gas cap with the CDC black out panel.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, small world! lol

I told her I'd figure out a way to use it on the car. Then when I was disassembling the rear decklid, the idea just came to me.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Very Nice Sanguin....you got one up on me!

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

if you figure out how to make that part of the 3rd brake light or light up when running lights are on...do let the rest of us know. I'll give you credit for inventing it for sure!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I already know how. I designed the circuit for it while I was at work bored. It involves a light coming on with the ignition in the on position (green light), and then that light being turned off (interrupted) when the brake lights come on and lighting up red. Fairly simple thing with a couple relays (4 and 5 prong).

My biggest issue is making a housing. I was going to try and get a piece of plumbing pipe the width of the hole, but no luck. I think the best way is to actually gut and modify the whole decklid. Sadly, I don't have a spare to play with and I'm not doing it with mine and leaving holes exposed in my trunk for a few days. It also has to be a '13 decklid. They're different from the '10-12 and have a 2 piece design with a large circumference flare.

Someone have a spare '13 decklid they replaced and don't want? I'll pay for shipping if you want to donate it, then I'll figure it all out, take pics, and make a how-to.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
Does anyone know if you can disasemble the 11-12 gas cap like that ? I got some ideas if you can :p
I'm pretty sure the '10-'12 is different but I know for a fact that the '13 blackout panel with V6/GT faux gas cap will fit on the '10-'12 after you trim a couple of tabs off.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well... trim ALL the tabs off actually. The '13 trunk looks like swiss cheese thanks to all the clips holding it on. Just cut all those clips off (12) and some tabs (3 I think), then attach with 3M tape after you've removed your gas cap.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Awesome! Way to repurpose it! Ya those clips are meant to be installed only once. 3M tape will hold it fine. I want to completely remove my gas cap but I want the back panel to look like the stock one without it. I cant find one that looks like it..

·
Registered
154 Posts

I was about to ask you how you did those on another one of your posts in my thread!

Glad I decided to look first!!

This is awesome!! And I really think it adds a nice touch!

Very creative!

·
Registered
366 Posts
N
Oh, I already know how. I designed the circuit for it while I was at work bored. It involves a light coming on with the ignition in the on position (green light), and then that light being turned off (interrupted) when the brake lights come on and lighting up red. Fairly simple thing with a couple relays (4 and 5 prong).

My biggest issue is making a housing. I was going to try and get a piece of plumbing pipe the width of the hole, but no luck. I think the best way is to actually gut and modify the whole decklid. Sadly, I don't have a spare to play with and I'm not doing it with mine and leaving holes exposed in my trunk for a few days. It also has to be a '13 decklid. They're different from the '10-12 and have a 2 piece design with a large circumference flare.

Someone have a spare '13 decklid they replaced and don't want? I'll pay for shipping if you want to donate it, then I'll figure it all out, take pics, and make a how-to.

FIRST! That came out undeniably AWESOME!!
Now, let's talk Decklid! I believe you said a 13,if I am wrong let me know. Are you still interested in working this project? That is if you had. Let me know, k?

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Opppssss!! I meant to say, if you had one!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
N

FIRST! That came out undeniably AWESOME!!
Now, let's talk Decklid! I believe you said a 13,if I am wrong let me know. Are you still interested in working this project? That is if you had. Let me know, k?

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:00 PM ----------

Opppssss!! I meant to say, if you had one!
Why yes I am... You can fire me a PM and tell me what you had in mind.

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
Huh uh! I'm originally from Bell County, lived in Knox County for years. Now I live in Tazewell! That's crazy!:headbang:

·
Premium Member
3,535 Posts
I live out by the dirt track. (Tazewell Speedway). I go through London almost everyday. I was in barbourville today. My mom lives there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts