Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 3.9L v6 and am wanting a bit more bass. I literally know nothing about what all you need for a sub, how hard it is to wire, etc. But I am wondering if anyone could give me suggestions for what 10" subs are the best what all I need and how I should get it installed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jdavis96gt said:
Easy to wire. Kinda a pita to hide everything. Rockford or JL audio are pretty good.
I found a JL sub 10" for like 140 but I'm not sure how to really put it in my car do I need to buy a box for the speaker? And what wattage of amp would I need?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I found a JL sub 10" for like 140 but I'm not sure how to really put it in my car do I need to buy a box for the speaker? And what wattage of amp would I need?
Yes u need box. You can get one for $30 at Walmart. I usually put box up against rear seat with sub pointing towards rear. They have amp kits at Walmart too, wires and stuff like that. Amp power would depend on how many Watts speaker is.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jdavis96gt said:
Yes u need box. You can get one for $30 at Walmart. I usually put box up against rear seat with sub pointing towards rear. They have amp kits at Walmart too, wires and stuff like that. Amp power would depend on how many Watts speaker is.
Okay cool thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
DON'T. GET. CAR. AUDIO. AT. WALMART. That Sony xplod stuff is crap. Get quality equipment like RF, JL, or what I seriously recommend, Alpine. I bought a type r 12" that can handle 600 watts RMS for $125 off amazon, an alpine mrx-m50 digital amp for $190 on eBay, and an 1" thick mdf box for it. All under $375ish when done and it hits sooo hard.

Also, alpine makes type r 10" subs that hit harder than pretty much any 12" in its price range.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Las0mbra said:
DON'T. GET. CAR. AUDIO. AT. WALMART. That Sony xplod stuff is crap. Get quality equipment like RF, JL, or what I seriously recommend, Alpine. I bought a type r 12" that can handle 600 watts RMS for $125 off amazon, an alpine mrx-m50 digital amp for $190 on eBay, and an 1" thick mdf box for it. All under $375ish when done and it hits sooo hard.

Also, alpine makes type r 10" subs that hit harder than pretty much any 12" in its price range.
I've researched a little now and it looks like alpine Is the best quality for the price. Their specs are better than JL.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts

A speaker box and wire, Walmart be fine.

I agree don't buy speakers from wallyworld.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've heard no matter how good of a speaker you get they can only be at their best if they have a good box, how true is this.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I've heard no matter how good of a speaker you get they can only be at their best if they have a good box, how true is this.
If I was to build one I'd use 3/4 plywood. No particle board or osb.

You wouldn't want your wood to flex so a good box is important.

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

I did my whole setup bought each part individual whole setup was about $200 an it was all brand new sealed box for everything it's gives enough bass for cruising :)
I'm jealous of your roomy trunk. My buddy has 06 and he popped his trunk I was like dam. My trunk is so tight.

·
Registered
984 Posts
jdavis96gt said:
If I was to build one I'd use 3/4 plywood. No particle board or osb.

You wouldn't want your wood to flex so a good box is important.

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

I'm jealous of your roomy trunk. My buddy has 06 and he popped his trunk I was like dam. My trunk is so tight.
It was super tight before the custom box lol

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Terminator said:
I did my whole setup bought each part individual whole setup was about $200 an it was all brand new sealed box for everything it's gives enough bass for cruising :)
That's a nice system and a good price but my speakers are pretty decent so I just want a 10" speaker for just some more kick.

·
Registered
984 Posts
PRoss.20 said:
That's a nice system and a good price but my speakers are pretty decent so I just want a 10" speaker for just some more kick.
Should go to a shop to test out speakers an if you like what you hear check the prices online cause usually you can find 20-40%off than what they charge at a Audio shop

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Don't use plywood... It resonates at different frequencies and is horrible for sub boxes. You'd want 1"mdf if you're going for heavy duty.

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
If they sell destroyers in you're area get one highly reccomend them! I had a single 10 and hit harder than my bros 12 type r

·
Registered
362 Posts
Las0mbra said:

I have a 10" alpine type r with alpine vpower 500 watt amp and an alpine head unit. It hits really hard, a lot better than most 12". Perfect size for a mustang with hard bass and no rattle. I love mine wouldnt change a thing.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Terminator said:
Did you buy that box or make it yourself? I love how much space you have left in the trunk.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts