Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vortech supercharger, and I plan on making a long trip. 13 hours to be exact. With my car running constantly for that amount of time, stopping only to get fuel, is that bad for the supercharger to be working for such a long period of time, or is this a dumb question?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am running whatever stock boost is out of the box. Stock boost is safe, because this kit was especially made for 94-98 mustangs with the 3.8. Im sure the same kit would work on any other stang with the 3.8 but you get the point. Another question, is getting an intercooler for the supercharger beneficial or a waste of money?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
it is safe. just try to keep out of boost for 13hrs.

also, whenever you stop for a break, or when you get there or whatever, let it idle for about 2min (like you would a turbo). this will let the oil cool in the compressor

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Monkey said:
it is safe. just try to keep out of boost for 13hrs.

also, whenever you stop for a break, or when you get there or whatever, let it idle for about 2min (like you would a turbo). this will let the oil cool in the compressor

This means that as long as you are cruising at constant speeds,
(not 120 but maybe under 85 or so) that it will not make "boost"
and fuel consumption will be good too. Just set the CC and go!

·
Registered
941 Posts
now that his Q is answered, i'll hijack the thread and ask, what about a roots blower that'll be in boost at all times?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
just keep the boost to a minimum. cruise at the speed limit. swap over pulleys to a larger pulley (smaller boost) if you need to.

but still, when driving with any power adder for more than 2-3hrs constantly, when you get to your destination, let it idle for about 2min before you shut the car off.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
tire said:
now that his Q is answered, i'll hijack the thread and ask, what about a roots blower that'll be in boost at all times?
The supercoupe cars have a bypass that bleeds off boost @ cruise,
allowing better mileage and less wear and tear on the blower. Many
aftermarket systems have this too, it is a good item!

·
Registered
113 Posts
:mad: yeah what brandon said...it's VERY important to let your car idle for a few minutes after long continous driving before shutting the engine off.

and getting a intercooler would depend on how much boost the charger is making.

·
Registered
678 Posts
yeah if you are running more than 10lbs of boost on the supercharger you have to get an IC, if its 10 and under you really don't need to. Your stock boost is 7lbs so that is what you are running (should be a purple colored pulley) If you are cruising, then you won't be in boost, is when you have a HEAVY FOOT that you will hit boost, so hit the cruise button and let it go and you will be OK! Just let it idle for a bit as they said and your safe to go!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks, but my pulley is black. I really should get a boost gauge

·
Registered
678 Posts
hell if you don't have one your nuts! LOL

well if its black then its not a vortech one...all vortech ones have a purple tint to them, look with it in the sun

1 - 13 of 13 Posts