Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've researched both and I've seen comparisons but facts aren't everything. Can anyone offer their opinions on the comparison? I'm not too worried about it now, I just want to know for future reference. Hopefully after I graduate or even get my internship, I'll be able to afford a GT/Cobra with a lot of mods.

·
Registered
298 Posts
This is a never-ending debate that comes down to personal preference. I believe if all you want is speed than a single large turbo gets the job done most efficiently. However, people like superchargers because the power is more linear and less laggy. What you will have to do is drive both for yourself and see what you like and dislike about both. After that the decision is completely up to you.

Also, you're location isn't under your name but in California it's extremely difficult to pass smog in comparison to every other state. If I'm not mistaken superchargers are easier to pass smog with than turbos. They should also be easier to work on and more "maintenance free" if that exists.

·
Premium Member
25,803 Posts
for a v6 mustang i think its best to stay with a vortech or procharger (i choose procharger) due to they have been around and have been used on the v6 for quite a long time and there is alot of information to be had on getting the best performance and the do's and dont's of using those blowers, and they have been tried and true for reliability if treated right also.

a turbocharger is better for power NO doubt about it but the cost is ALOT more.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
As Spec said worry about it till you get one

But heres my opinion. I have a supercharger installed on my car. I LOVE it 100% just instant power on the button. But its also pretty hard on the engine (takes power to make power) Unlike the turbo that uses the exhuast gases to make power which is alot strain on the engine.

Turbos def cost a penny though but in my opinion best power getter minus the small lag.

Im more then likely gonna be switching over to a turbo myself possibly end of this summer coming.

·
Registered
521 Posts
A properly sized turbo will not show much lag at all. You are better off going with a turbo that is a bit too small then one that is too large. Especially if you are concerned with lag. Do your research and get the right turbo. Right now I'm kinda wishing I had gone with a turbo or KB setup.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
bluemustang said:
But heres my opinion. I have a supercharger installed on my car. I LOVE it 100% just instant power on the button. But its also pretty hard on the engine (takes power to make power) Unlike the turbo that uses the exhuast gases to make power which is alot strain on the engine.
personally, i think that the fact that turbos dont use power to make power is total bullshit, there is no such thing as free power. Sure, using your crank to spin the supercharger takes power, but forcing your exhaust gas to spin the turbo is sure as hell gonna take power also.

·
Premium Member
25,803 Posts
you cant create power with out using power lol thats definatly true, but the power was already created thanks the the combustion engine, so you just reap the rewards of that expensive gas bill you pay.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Turbos take up power as well. The additional back pressure is a power loss. The nice thing about turbos is that they don't put the extra stress on the crank that you see from the belt on a supercharger.

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
SpectorV said:
you cant create power with out using power lol thats definatly true, but the power was already created thanks the the combustion engine, so you just reap the rewards of that expensive gas bill you pay.
dyno your car then install a turbo (only the exhaust half, dont suck air in through the turbo) and dyno it again and tell me you didnt lose any power

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yeah, there's a reason that a free flowing exhaust gives you more power. An engine is really just a big air pump, anything that cuts resistance to airflow makes it operate more efficiently

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
whipster, i know you plan on going blown, so i gotta question for ya: do chambered mufflers choke up a blown engine alot more compared to flow-through mufflers?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Chambered mufflers don't flow quite as well but are good on an N/A car as they give a bit of back pressure and that helps out the torque down low but cuts down the hp gained in the higher rpms.

on a blown car, you want as free a flowing exhaust as possible. So you want the flow through mufflers. My magnaflows ought to fit the bill nicely :)

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
turbo vs supercharger. hmm, depends on where you want power.

if i had a GT or such, and just wanted alot of useful power id go supercharger. ive seen turbo stangs, theyre frigging beasts but theyre more of a track only kinda deal. a supercharged GT would prolly decimate a good 99% of the cars i know.

my current car is a Eclipse GST. i got rid of the pos stock turbo cause it had no top end, but spooled almost instantly. i got a bigger off a evo3, has a shitload of top end, and takes till about 3.5k to fully spool up. i dont mind turbo lag at all, its like foreplay, the emotional buildup until the party starts.

oh and anything you get for your car like a supercharger/turbo, will prolly make things hard come smog time in cali. come smog time for me, i have to reinstall the stock injectors, put all the crappy stock piping back, crap airbox, reinstall the stock boost controller(so vac lines are correct), reinstall stock bov, and hide my safc2 and hope that a bigger fuel pump doesnt overrun the stock injectors. and that list will grow before then, ill have to take off a front mount, and a downpipe/testpipe from the exhaust too. i hate cali.

·
Registered
349 Posts
As Carroll Shelby put it, if you have turbo lag you aren't driving it right.

Of course driving it "right" would get you a ticket by the man.

Turbos restrict the exhaust and heat the incoming air a lot more. You can do things to resolve those issues, but it adds to the cost. Plus there is a lot more plumbing involved with a turbo, which can make things a nightmare in a small engine compartment.

Superchargers do put a strain on the crank snout, but unless your running a top fuel setup with a 145% overdriven Roots blower it's not likely to be a real serious issue. Blowers do take some HP from the crank, but don't believe the hype from the turbo clowns, there is NO WAY a serpentine belt driven blower can sap 50 HP, the belt would slip like crazy long before it ever reached a 50 HP draw.

A cogged drivebelt, like on old school roots blowers could draw that much without slipping, but only if your going the serious large boost number route. OF course that would aggravate the strain on the crank issue.

Blowers also heat up the incoming air, not nearly as much as a turbo though. Blowers have less plumbing to deal with, especiall low boost non-intercooled setups.

I personally would not run a turbo setup without an intercooler, even though many manufacturers have done that. Simply because I know I will be wicking up the boost so I may as well get the intercooler now and set boost for kill. Don't forget that a turbo system will radiate a lot more heat into the engine compartment affecting everything in there. Rubber hoses, wiring, plastic stuff, all of it will deteriorate quicker.

Steve

1 - 20 of 25 Posts