Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is what I plan to do in the next month... or sooner. My current ride is really stiff and I think my struts are bad. My shocks arent much better... So I am planning on getting something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2442002210&category=33590 off ebay soon... Since I am spending this much money on these shocks and struts, I figure I should also get some good springs... I was wondering what springs would be good to lower my car 1-1 1/2 inches, and be not too stiff? Also not too expensive...like under $160??
Also, is this a good choice on shocks and struts? And is this all I will need for the upgrade? I dont have to have isolaters or anything like that do I?

Remember, not to expensive, yet good, confortable lowering springs.

Thanks, Aaron

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
if you want 1.2 max c springs by ford are where its at, my ride barly changed at all other than the ability to corner alot better and no nose dive when i hit the brakes. go to www.gefracing.com and pick up a set for 100 bucks~ 750 front rate 250~ rear, thats is what you are looking at no matter what set you are gonna buy unless you fork over 250 for eibach progessive rate which are ok but i used to have them, they dont ride/handle any better and you will get 1.5 ore more...to low.

struts and shocks i would go with tokico if money is a problem from ford. cheap adn effective.

you can get the c springs cheaper by not sure where, and they are 99 bucks where they are cheaper. stangparts.com perhaps?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
...Don't forget to tell these guys they have to cut these C's to get the kind of Drop you have on your cars guys.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How do I do I know exacly where to cut the coil at? I have a hack saw which should work for the cutting, but, I thought these springs lowered our cars 1inch without cutting?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
If you dont mind the car sitting nose down you dont have to cut the springs. But if you want a even drop you have to cut the rear dead coil off the spring. you will notice on the top of the rear springs ( REMEMBER THE BOTTOM OF THE SPRING IS CONE SHAPED DO NOT CUT IT) the end of the spring is flat. You will cut this to remove one complete loop. when finished you will have a perfect ring you have cut off. I just took white-out and made a mark on the coil exactly in line with end of the coil. you want to have the new coil end after cutting to be exactly in the same position as the original end you just cut off.

Here is a pic showing the stock springs side by side and the cut C springs

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks Cory, that some grand info! So I just cut the rear spring and leave the fronts alone right? And cut exactly one loop off... How did you cut yours? I am planning on cutting mine with a hack saw, any better ideas?
Well thanks fellas, looks like yall got me all setup! Cant wait to get those C-springs and tokiko bullit shocks and struts!!

Oh, where you guys are sittin now, do you hang up on alot of stuff like bumps and such?

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
a carbide tip will cut the coil or you can use anything, a dremel type tool even, they are not hard to cut, i got a pull down type saw wiht meatl cutting blade (carbide) and ate right though it in no time.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
ORRed98 cut a half coil off of his C springs on all 4 corners, has anyone else done it this way? He used a dremel with some special cutting disks....

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
well be sure to wear gloves if you use a hacksaw OH and pack a lunch. Spring steel is about the strongest metal around. I used a dotco /angle grinder that uses air and cut both of them in 5 minutes

And leave the fronts alone

I dont hang up on much at all except drive way drop offs and the just barely scrub on the Sub Frame Connectors

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well thanks fellas, I will try and find some better tool for cutting that metal, I think I know someone with the right stuff ;)

Oh hey Cory, you have any more pics of your car with that setup? I would like to get a better view...

Thanks, Aaron

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
LOL, must be out on the old runway at Donaldson?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts