Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this is the right place to post this, anyway, looking to do a 5.4 litre Navigator swap into a 98 GT mustang 5 speed. From what I can understand this is the same motor used in the cobra R but with different intake/exhaust manifolds and cams. Anybody on here done the swap before? I did a search but not much came up. Please supply any and all information you can find as well as links and pictures if you know of any that exist. If you can think of any problems or know someone who has done the swap please inform me as well. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Oh, I need the computer with the engine right? Does anybody that has done the swap have a preference on gears or any other advice? thanks again.

·
Registered
251 Posts
im lookin into the same thing. this is where ive been gettin my info from.
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10896

The Navi motor is also a cast iron block whereas the cobra r was alluminum i believe so the Navi is a heavy ass motor. The Cobra R also had different heads. The only reason i might not do this is because of the weight. Im more into handling than drag racing. I went to a Ford dealer and i can buy a navi motor for 3500 brand new.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
steedav6builder said:
im lookin into the same thing. this is where ive been gettin my info from.
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10896

The Navi motor is also a cast iron block whereas the cobra r was alluminum i believe so the Navi is a heavy ass motor. The Cobra R also had different heads. The only reason i might not do this is because of the weight. Im more into handling than drag racing. I went to a Ford dealer and i can buy a navi motor for 3500 brand new.
Just out of curiosity, if you worry more about handling why did you get a mustang instead of a European car such as bmw or a Japanese car that doesn't weigh anything? thanks for the info!

·
Registered
251 Posts
red herring said:
Just out of curiosity, if you worry more about handling why did you get a mustang instead of a European car such as bmw or a Japanese car that doesn't weigh anything? thanks for the info!
Because i dont like those cars. I like american cars. I also like Steeda who is known for they're suspension parts for road course racing such as SCCA. When my suspension is done i will out handle all those import POS's

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Hopefully this is the right place to post this, anyway, looking to do a 5.4 litre Navigator swap into a 98 GT mustang 5 speed. From what I can understand this is the same motor used in the cobra R but with different intake/exhaust manifolds and cams. Anybody on here done the swap before? I did a search but not much came up. Please supply any and all information you can find as well as links and pictures if you know of any that exist. If you can think of any problems or know someone who has done the swap please inform me as well. Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Oh, I need the computer with the engine right? Does anybody that has done the swap have a preference on gears or any other advice? thanks again.
In the November issue of 5.0 Mustang they did the swap. They used an '00 E-150 5.4. The big thing they made was an adapter plate to reuse the 4.6L intake. There was some other differences, reusing the oil filter mount off the 4.6 and the oil pan off the 4.6 had to have the baffles bent down a 1/4 of an inch. The 4.6 flywheel bolted on, they were using an eight-bolt Windsor and not a six-bolt Romeo.

The extra 1.6-inch wil make installtion with the A/C lines and brake lines a bit more difficult. So, you'll have to tilt the engine until you get it right. Your H-Pipe will have to be adjusted to be wider also. There will be a lump on the passenger side header that will be needed to be ground off. A custom heater hose will need to be found. The passenger side half of the H-Pipe will need to be lenghtened one inch. The engine will sit 2 1/2 inches higher so the hood might need to be hacked on for the best fitment.

After the tuning was all said and done, the test car was already outfited with a K&N air filter and Flowmaster Three-Chamber mufflers welded into place. Through the 4R70W, the tuned engine produced 329.7 Ft./Lbs. @ 2,500RPM and 226.0 HP @ 4,500RPM. That was a gain of 93.2 Ft./Lbs of torque and 44.3H at the rear tires.

They said the Stang pulled hard all the way up to 5,600 RPMS but they couldn't get past the long runners on the 4.6L intake. A simple cam swap or intakke swap would take care of that.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dom said:
In the November issue of 5.0 Mustang they did the swap. They used an '00 E-150 5.4. The big thing they made was an adapter plate to reuse the 4.6L intake. There was some other differences, reusing the oil filter mount off the 4.6 and the oil pan off the 4.6 had to have the baffles bent down a 1/4 of an inch. The 4.6 flywheel bolted on, they were using an eight-bolt Windsor and not a six-bolt Romeo.

The extra 1.6-inch wil make installtion with the A/C lines and brake lines a bit more difficult. So, you'll have to tilt the engine until you get it right. Your H-Pipe will have to be adjusted to be wider also. There will be a lump on the passenger side header that will be needed to be ground off. A custom heater hose will need to be found. The passenger side half of the H-Pipe will need to be lenghtened one inch. The engine will sit 2 1/2 inches higher so the hood might need to be hacked on for the best fitment.

After the tuning was all said and done, the test car was already outfited with a K&N air filter and Flowmaster Three-Chamber mufflers welded into place. Through the 4R70W, the tuned engine produced 329.7 Ft./Lbs. @ 2,500RPM and 226.0 HP @ 4,500RPM. That was a gain of 93.2 Ft./Lbs of torque and 44.3H at the rear tires.

They said the Stang pulled hard all the way up to 5,600 RPMS but they couldn't get past the long runners on the 4.6L intake. A simple cam swap or intakke swap would take care of that.

Thanks for the information, that is exactly what I am/was looking for. Perhaps I can post results when it's all done. Wanna know the best part...the engine is free from someone who teaches ford mechanics :D. I'll search for the Nov. issue of 5.0 stang if I don't already have it. Really thanks a lot, that is some very perecise information!

Steedav6builder and ttpancakes, people are allowed to have their own opinion, I'd hardly call my bmw a pos against a v6 mustang but somebody is going to think so eventually. But seriously, try driving an m3 around, I doubt you'll be calling it a pos, haha. Any car has potential, japanese cars are light so they have advantages, I don't personally like them but I don't call them pos's either. I beat a mach 1 down highway 173 (corners) in my bmw and he would have been way faster than I in the straights at that time. American cars have potential too, I just always saw them as more of drag racers than auto-xers, even though, like I said, every car has potential.

·
Registered
800 Posts
And to set the record straight here... BMW's are manufactored mainly out of Germany, not Japan.

And yes I would take a M3 aswell!

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
KrazyPony said:
And to set the record straight here... BMW's are manufactored mainly out of Germany, not Japan.

And yes I would take a M3 aswell!
Yeah, they're german, but I just added the Japanese cars in there for more diversity, I used to drive a Supra as well and it wasn't too bad. (not the tt)

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
someone on mustangworld is selling a complete motor and what not needed to swap into a stang, its in the for sale forums.

·
Registered
214 Posts
My Mustang is an IMPORT and I love it :headbang:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WhiteStang99 said:
lol. what would they call an American "ricer" overseas?

We make a lot of wheat... maybe we're wheaters.
That question comes up on bimmerforums all the time, they've come to the conclusion we're (German cars) called krout(sp?) I think American cars are just called muscle everywhere but if not I believe over seas they think most Americans fit the "red neck" stereotype...we'll have to think of something where we can use that, haha. By the way, I just won a 2004 Mustang with 6170.2 miles on the odometer, aren't you guys proud of me? I won it from ttpancakes in a bet, I think you guys may need to console him later :whistle:

·
Registered
214 Posts
They are called "no handling cars, only manage to go fast in a straight line"

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
NorwegianMustang said:
They are called "no handling cars, only manage to go fast in a straight line"
Didn't want to say it on this board but I think that is how most car enthusiasts of other brands refer to American cars too. Even in the States.

BlueDonkey said:
Haha, your name is awesome! And you possibly are the only one arrogant enough to quote yourself, but that is hilarious! Hahahaha!

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
95 cobra r's had 351's in them which is 5.8l the 5.4 is like 330 something or 340something. just thought id share that with you if you were going for a correct clone.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts