Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Theres a fox body salavge yard in chester which is 20 minutes from my house.

He has tons of parts.

He has a ton of 8.8 rear ends with all kinds of different gear ratios for like 200 bucks!

My question is, Their 4 lug. I know id have to switch over the brakes, but is that easy? hard?

Anyone do this? Is there a how-to anywhere so i can read up on it?
Thinking i might do this.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
you have to swtich brakes and axles.

swapping brakes is just taking the caliper off, the rotor, and the dust shield if desired. then you just re-attach them to the new axle and plop that bad boy in the carrier. you could prolly even do it w/o having to disconnect the brake lines so you wouldnt have to bleed the brakes.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Hey Monkey I am not absolutely sure but think the Fox body rear end setup is narrower wheel to wheel. You might need to use different axles

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
You'll also have to buy two types of wheels if you ever buy new ones. That could get annoying. There may be more involved in this than you think

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
ok, i had a fox body rear in my car. its the same exact width from 84 (first year they made 8.8s) up to 98s. so it will bolt up just fine and look just the same you have now. you can get a 99+ which is 1.5" wider if you want the rear gaps filled out some. looks halfway decent, but theyre gonna be more expensive.

so no, you dont need different axles. his stock ones will be fine (granted theyre in good shape and the heat shield on them is still good). his stock brakes are the same ones they have been using for SN95s in GTs and 6'ers. it will just bolt right up.

no need for second set of wheels. your stock one will be fine as long as you re-use your stock axles.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
OK I dont know much about the fox body swap. I just remember reading something in passing about all the different rear ends

Thanks for the info Brandon ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
:thumb2: thats what im here for

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Ha sorry about that earlier post. I'm out of it today. Been wrong about everything I've tried to do. Oh well. Thanks for correcting me though. I'll always take positive corrections and comments. My mind just isn't with me today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts