Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, i'm 16 & i currently have a 2000 mustang 3.8 with a factory rear end. It has 130k miles one it and i changed the carrier bearings. Im looking for a little more traction and was wondering if someone can explain differentials to me. A buddy has a used t-lock differential for sale off of a 2004 GT 8.8 rear end. Would i be able to swap it directly with my stock rear end? Is the spindle the same? Would i have to upgrade it? Thanks, i appreciate it!

·
Registered
209 Posts
An 8.8 is heavier and unless you are pushing over 300 ft of tq you don't need it. The 7.5 is lighter, I have a t - lock in mine with 3:73 gears and it's way better than what it comes stock with a open diff and 3:27 gears.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
An 8.8 is heavier and unless you are pushing over 300 ft of tq you don't need it. The 7.5 is lighter, I have a t - lock in mine with 3:73 gears and it's way better than what it comes stock with a open diff and 3:27 gears.
eh it's not much heavier...believe it or not when me and a friend went to the track..both '04 autos...both stock except for he had a GT 8.8 rear so same 3.27's as our 7.5..he ran 3-4 tenths of a section faster on average the whole night. besides having the peace of mind in an 8.8 build is nice..i've seen stock v6's snap 7.5s

1 - 9 of 9 Posts