Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 4 years and 30,000 miles I am saying goodbye to my 2003 Mustang GT Convertible. Mustang never gave us any issues and still only has 49,000 miles on it, but our fleet was unbalanced having to run both Chevy SS and Mustang on snow tires with poor mpg (Mustang was our economy car as far as mileage goes). The SS is much more stable than Mustang in snow and I hated racking up the miles on it. I am selling the Mustang to a family member for a great deal, so I can visit it in the future. I told her she gets free waxing when I visit as part of our deal.

I am swapping it out for a 2011 Audi A5 Cabriolet quattro I picked up last month. I never owned a German car before so figured I would try something new. We have already put 3,000 miles on it and it has no oil consumption issue, which is common on this car. Interior is rock solid and build quality is impeccable. No squeaks, no rattles, just a different level here.

Performance wise, the A5 with a little 2.0 turbo feels about as quick as my Mustang, even though it is only rated at 211 hp (seems Audi may underate HP or rate wheel HP per online info). However, the power delivery is vastly different. There is noticeable turbo lag then a "whooooosshh" of power in the A5. Obviously there is little sound from engine and exhaust note is not comparable to Mustang. There are some tuners in the area who offer safe tunes which can really unlock these little engines. I actually prefer power delivery of Mustang 4.6 under hard acceleration. However, on the open road, the Audi has plenty of torque and passing power.

Handling wise, there is no comparison. The biggest drawback of the Mustang was the live rear axle bouncing all over our terrible roads. It would get a bit squeamish and unsettled, and my wife was not very comfortable driving it because of that issue. I will admit I almost had an embarrassing accident (in my pants) myself when I hit a bump on the highway for the first time and it felt like the back of the car was sliding into the next lane in heavy traffic. The A5 is rock solid and planted to the road under all road conditions so far.

So for now, I am Stang free, but may wander back in a while as I really like the new Mustang GT with IRS.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,864 Posts
At least you have Audi’s good engine.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much does it cost to change the oil?
I do my own oil changes on all our cars except Chevy (have free changes for a while longer). It takes just under 5 quarts of Euro Spec Mobil 1 from Walmart. Price is same as 5w-30 I put in everything else, around 27 bucks per 5 quarts. I ordered Audi oil filter from amazon for 13 bucks. Just need Vag-com cable to reset service interval and adjust settings, such as allowing me to rip my old cds to the memory box. Will also do own brakes and general maintenance too, so hopefully I can keep costs down. It is funny how some people on Audi forums seem afraid to rip into their cars, and are willing to get taken for a ride at the dealers.

·
Super Moderator
17,969 Posts
Agreed, all the ppl who say maintenance on these cars is crazy just can't DIY. I mean the parts can be a bit pricey but its not TERRIBLE.

Really nice pickup, agreed on the solid axle, why mine is swapped to an IRS although I'd never want to try this car in the snow lol.

Glad to hear it seems like you made a good choice for you and your family. The Chevy SS is an awesome car too. Maybe take a look at getting another Stang for the 2020 chassis?

But why not just get a truck for the snow? Gas costs?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I do my own oil changes on all our cars except Chevy (have free changes for a while longer). It takes just under 5 quarts of Euro Spec Mobil 1 from Walmart. Price is same as 5w-30 I put in everything else, around 27 bucks per 5 quarts. I ordered Audi oil filter from amazon for 13 bucks. Just need Vag-com cable to reset service interval and adjust settings, such as allowing me to rip my old cds to the memory box. Will also do own brakes and general maintenance too, so hopefully I can keep costs down. It is funny how some people on Audi forums seem afraid to rip into their cars, and are willing to get taken for a ride at the dealers.
Thanks. I was just wondering. Heard people talk about costing upwards of $300 for an oil change.....or was that a BMW??

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
I'm assuming same engine in my GTI. Enough to do 3 changes with OEM filter and special VW spec oil (502?) 0-40 M1 delivered from Amazon for around $110

I did my suspension on my 12....speeds are similar but it took suspension on the Stang to deal with the kick out of the back

·
Premium Member
6,864 Posts
You can use Liqui Moly, it’s cheaper than Mobil 1 and will meet VW/Audi specs, most of the time. It’s what we use if we are changing oil on a newer euro car.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Agreed, all the ppl who say maintenance on these cars is crazy just can't DIY. I mean the parts can be a bit pricey but its not TERRIBLE.

Really nice pickup, agreed on the solid axle, why mine is swapped to an IRS although I'd never want to try this car in the snow lol.

Glad to hear it seems like you made a good choice for you and your family. The Chevy SS is an awesome car too. Maybe take a look at getting another Stang for the 2020 chassis?

But why not just get a truck for the snow? Gas costs?
Yeah, when I was doing research on these it seems there are lots of people who do their own wrenching. Many detailed write-ups and videos that I reviewed and they id not seem to bad to work on. Of course, many of the other owners seem to freak out if you do not have "AudiCare" and get the blinker fluid changed every 3,000 miles. I appreciate them too because that drives the used car prices on them down!

I definitely have my eye on newer Stangs, really like the new 5.0 with auto transmission performance. I would also take a Terminator if the prices ever softened but I just do not see that happening.

As for a truck in the snow, we have always had Grand Cherokees/Armadas with 4x4 that my wife drives around. We currently have 2013 Armada Platinum with Reserve package that is excellent at people hauling, towing, has good acceleration, and gets decent mileage for its size (15 mpg combined). I just cannot get excited to drive it, or any other truck though. Too big, too ponderous, hard to park in Metro Detroit, etc. A Grand Cherokee SRT-8 is about as trucky as I would want, but the damn thing was too small to convince the wife to drive!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. I was just wondering. Heard people talk about costing upwards of $300 for an oil change.....or was that a BMW??
I would not doubt it, teh Audi forums are full of ignorant customers who believe everything the dealers tell them! I was checking out some of the smaller BMWs (1 and 3 series), but was turned off by need to sync things like a new battery at the dealer. NO thanks, that would annoy me greatly.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm assuming same engine in my GTI. Enough to do 3 changes with OEM filter and special VW spec oil (502?) 0-40 M1 delivered from Amazon for around $110

I did my suspension on my 12....speeds are similar but it took suspension on the Stang to deal with the kick out of the back
I believe you are right on engine, although in the A5 they have since increased rated HP and the newer models are much quicker than mine (0-60 in low 5's now). That sounds like pretty good deal on oil, I will check that out!

---------- Post added at 06:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 AM ----------

You can use Liqui Moly, it’s cheaper than Mobil 1 and will meet VW/Audi specs, most of the time. It’s what we use if we are changing oil on a newer euro car.

Pick your poison.
I will have to check this oil out as well, thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts