Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 90 has a bullet proof posi rearend with 3.73 gears while the 64's rear is a who-knows-what POS open diff. with who-knows-what gears and a puddle of fluid under it. so my question is - can I swap rearends and how hard would it be if its do-able?

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup. i think ssp's came from the factory with 3.08's though

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
i belive your 64 has leave springs you may can swap the components and keep the hulls where they are....

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SpectorV said:
i belive your 64 has leave springs you may can swap the components and keep the hulls where they are....
yup, 64 is leaf.

·
Registered
12 Posts
SpectorV said:
You do not mean the housing? The 66 is an 8inch and the 90 is a 8.8. There was a 7 1/2 in the family somewhere, but I think it was on V-6's They do make kits to do a 8.8 to a classic platform, which is really inexpensive if you compare to the 9 inch. You can pick up an SN-95 with disc brakes and save money on a rear disc swap.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
I would think with some very careful measuring and precise cutting/welding it wouldnt be too hard. Guys in Jeeps do it. Of course going from leaf to coil is a major thing. Dunno.

·
Registered
138 Posts
DanzCherry68 said:
You do not mean the housing? The 66 is an 8inch and the 90 is a 8.8. There was a 7 1/2 in the family somewhere, but I think it was on V-6's They do make kits to do a 8.8 to a classic platform, which is really inexpensive if you compare to the 9 inch. You can pick up an SN-95 with disc brakes and save money on a rear disc swap.
I have heard the best route to go is using the explorer rear end.You end up with an 8.8 that usually has the desirable gears plus it's a 31 spline

1 - 9 of 9 Posts