Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, i have read high and low and have Not really found a concrete answer for this.

I will be installing a 2011 GT500 rear end (full 8.8 axle) into my GFs 2014 v6. It is my understanding that on the other 2005-2010 V6s that the cobra pinion flange (Ford Racing Mustang Pinion Flange M-4851-B (03-04 Cobra) - Free Shipping) is needed to go from the 7.5 rear to the 8.8.

So far i cant find any threads about someone swapping the full rear on a 2011+ v6 (probably because you can just do a gear swap) but i got the axle for free and am capable of doing the swap myself, so i really just want to make sure i have everything. If the Gt500 rear is an 8.8, and the 3.7 rear is an 8.8, it "should" bolt right up correct? Or did Ford make a different flange for the v6?

Secondly, i have seen some people say "oh you just pop the new flange on and go." I have also seen "take it to a shop, they have to press the new flange on with a new crush sleeve and set the pre load and yada yada..." I am ok with doing this right the first time, but i'm wondering what is really needed and what is excessive. Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been looking into this as well and I know I read it somewhere (just can't remember where) that the full rear-ends are swappable with GTs/V6s/etc. in the later models.

Definitely interested in hearing how this goes.

Good Luck!
Tobey

·
Registered
1,840 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont think thats correct though, the 05-14 V6 dont have the same axle. I have a feeling someones not taking into account the fact that the 05-10 have a 7.5 and the 11+ already have an 8.8...

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I did some quick digging and for some reason what I found is o the 5.0 it bolts right up but on the V6 it needs the flange. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ehh its $30, i guess i'll just order it any ways. The second question is: is it just bolt on and go, or do i need a shop to press it on?

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Bolts up, no need to press it. It looks like someone with a 2014 v6 already did this swap. I can't find many details on build though.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Volt-Looking like you got a slew of answers in here! I remember seeing the thread some time back and I'm trying to hunt it down but the FR Pinion Flange will definitely be necessary in order to attach your ds to the new rear. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Alex

The flange is necessary. Here AM sells it and advises it. I believe they have the install instructions as well:

Ford Racing Mustang SVT Rear Axle Assembly M-4001-A373 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping - AmericanMuscle

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Volt-Looking like you got a slew of answers in here! I remember seeing the thread some time back and I'm trying to hunt it down but the FR Pinion Flange will definitely be necessary in order to attach your ds to the new rear. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Alex
Just placed my order. Not exactly on a time crunch, other than i wanted to do it this weekend, so hopefully no extra tools (like a press) are needed. I just wish i could find a thread with a picture so i could at least see how the pinion flange fits into the equation. I've looked at the 8.8 sitting in storage, and pictures of the Cobra flange and they do look quite different ... i guess thats the point of having to switch, but i guess we'll see.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Subscribed. Seems like this would be more cost effective since it could be done at home. How much was the axle?? I think i saw them for like $1200 somewhere but i forget. Ford wanted $900 for labour only on a gear change. Doesnt include gears, or the speedo programmer to adjust for anything above 3.31

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Free. Guy at work bought a spare 3.55 axle to build for his Texas mile GT500. He and i are good buddies, and i mentioned just letting us throw it in Valerie's car and giving him her axle since he basically just wanted the housing and hers only has ~1000 miles on it. Win win. Just gotta go dig my transmission jack out of storage because this ***** is HEAVY lol.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I always thought the 2011 up V6 had the 8.8 differential.

I don't really know for sure but from what I have been reading the 2011 up 3.7 V6 uses the same differential (8.8)as the gt but the standard ratio is 2.73. The performance gears are 3.31. The V6 also shares both manual and automatic transmissions but with different gear ratios with the gt.
I have only heard this about a million times since 2010 just before the 2011 3.7 305 HP V6 came out.
Someone needs to clue me in if I read this wrong over the years.
Ronnie

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't really know for sure but from what I have been reading the 2011 up 3.7 V6 uses the same differential (8.8)as the gt but the standard ratio is 2.73. The performance gears are 3.31. The V6 also shares both manual and automatic transmissions but with different gear ratios with the gt.
I have only heard this about a million times since 2010 just before the 2011 3.7 305 HP V6 came out.
Someone needs to clue me in if I read this wrong over the years.
Ronnie

That is all correct. My question is the flange going from the driveshaft to the new rear end. Why Ford chose to make a separate flange for the V6 is beyond me, but oh well. It was $50 with 3 day shipping (want it for this weekend) so i guess i really cant complain if i end up not needing it and sending it back.

I've done more suspension / control arms than i can count, so i'm very familiar with taking the entire rear end apart, except for the driveshaft, so hopefully this experience is fairly smooth and painless.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Yeah, let us know how it goes. I was actually looking at that swap later on down the line of my build.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
VoltWings

You say your girl friends V6 is a 2014
Why would you change the whole assembly?
I'm just wondering & CONFUSED.
Ronnie

She seems to alredy have the 8.8 inch differential.
Mustang 7.5” & 8.8” Rear End & Axle Info

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You say your girl friends V6 is a 2014
Why would you change the whole assembly?
I'm just wondering & CONFUSED.
Ronnie

She seems to alredy have the 8.8 inch differential.
Mustang 7.5” & 8.8” Rear End & Axle Info

3.55 > 2.73, it was free, and i have the tools to do it? We road race our cars, and the 2.73 are just WAY too long to function on a track, even going down to a 26" tire, so it really just worked out.

·
Registered
699 Posts
3.55 > 2.73, it was free, and i have the tools to do it? We road race our cars, and the 2.73 are just WAY too long to function on a track, even going down to a 26" tire, so it really just worked out.

Not tryin to threadjack but what would be a 26" tire on a 17" rim? And what ratio would that make the rear end act like

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
11+ V6 already has an 8.8,

Bullitts are better than Bullets
Yep, that's true but that's not the point of the swap.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts