Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 95 mustang gt 5.0 the guy I bought it from said he ran premium fuel on it and said it wouldn't run good if I ran unleaded fuel is it okay too change too unleaded fuel when it's been running on premium. Would rather save money. would it mess up my engine or make it run any worse?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I just bought a 95 mustang gt 5.0 the guy I bought it from said he ran premium fuel on it and said it wouldn't run good if I ran unleaded fuel is it okay too change too unleaded fuel when it's been running on premium. Would rather save money. would it mess up my engine or make it run any worse?
If you're timing is advanced past the ten degrees stock, it's best to run premium. Set your timing back to 10 and you should be fine.

·
Super Moderator
18,074 Posts
I don't know about you but where I live premium is 15-20 cents more per gallon. Fill up is usually what like 12 gallons and once a week if you are DDing and assuming 20 mpg and a not crazy commute.

So if you can't afford the extra $3.40 a week to make your car run better with the timing at 14 degrees... I dunno... You aren't going to save any appreciable amount of money using regular gas, look elsewhere to save money like bagging lunch, quitting smoking, using durex instead of trojan or get rid of the fancy TP for Sam's Club brand.

Or just pay the extra $15/mo for more power for your fun toy. If $15/mo is making or breaking your budget then you should probably sell the stang and get a beater that gets near 40mpg like a Civic or Corolla or Del Sol or something...

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Here the 93 octain is easily $50-60 more than regular..

---------- Post added at 07:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:26 AM ----------

Cents not dollars lmao

·
Registered
341 Posts
by me premium is about 20-30 cents extra usually i run plus (89) premium being 91 or 93 depending where you go. i never run regular at least in my stang i never have. its my dd so i get where your coming from as far as saving money but recently i started running premium and i really do see a difference even from plus (89) as far as responding time and mpg maybe its just me though. i realized that what would i be saving per fill up like someone posted above 3-5 bucks? imo i think just stick with it from now on i think im just going to stick with premium maybe plus but ill never go to regular just my 2 cents everyone has their own opinion i just believe the car definitely responds better with higher octane

·
Registered
344 Posts
That sounds so stuck up.
No really would you want a doctor to give you some Radom person blood that you don't know if they have any ads not knowing what in it or would you want to know where you blood have come from that's clean blood just like you mustang you want to give you stang the best clean gas not the low grade bottom of the barrel not know whats in it kinda gas

We only want the best for our mustang by running better gas

·
Super Moderator
18,074 Posts
Uh, the regular vs plus vs premium has 0 to do with "low grade" or whatever you think it means, its an octane rating and nothing more than that. Yeah our cars can run better on premium because they are somewhat of a performance motor especially if you bump the timing.

But if a motor is designed to run on regular, it isn't going to run better on premium, it might run worse.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts