Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me crazy, but I'm in no huge hurry to disclose my info to the good people at Ford with this whole SYNC thing. Maybe I'm a fusty old man that's read "1984" one too many times, but I'm hesitant to give yet another corporation access to information about me, my habits, phone book, location, etc. The one thing I do see that is of interest is the Vehicle Health Report, which of course is linked to SYNC.

My question is, do you use this service, and if so, are you happy with it? Do you think it's of any value? I swear I'm not some paranoid lunatic wearing a tinfoil hat. These days I just don't trust huge companies with my info.

Happy Friday, folks!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I've used it but it won't tell you anything you don't already know. It just reports any warning lights that might be on the dash and can't really tell if the car needs service or not. For example if you run a VHR with the parking brake on the report will say there's something wrong with your brakes since the same warning light is used for all brake related warnings. I'm not sure if it sends additional information to Ford of some kind. The in vehicle technology support group likes you to run a VHR before installing any Sync upgrades. I didn't bother the last time and it seemed to work out fine.

Reactions: The Nomad

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Is this the function that goes through and says battery ok, brakes ok, fuel ok, etc? If so I don't see how it gets sent to ford each time you push it and like others have said it's pretty useless and just gives a generic ok for everything unless something is potentially really wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
79 Posts
Is this the function that goes through and says battery ok, brakes ok, fuel ok, etc? If so I don't see how it gets sent to ford each time you push it and like others have said it's pretty useless and just gives a generic ok for everything unless something is potentially really wrong.

The stuff that comes up when you access information on the display isn't sent to Ford but might get stored for later by reading the vehicle health report through SYNC. The oil life monitor is sorta useful as you can see the effects of short vs long trips as the percent counts down :thumb:

·
Registered
900 Posts
doesn't 911 assist say something about locating you and being able to access your speed prior to request for help? There was some reason I didn't activate it due to "being watched" so you're not alone nomad.

Reactions: The Nomad

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
The stuff that comes up when you access information on the display isn't sent to Ford but might get stored for later by reading the vehicle health report through SYNC. The oil life monitor is sorta useful as you can see the effects of short vs long trips as the percent counts down :thumb:

I know it's not sent to ford but if the information is being stored to view not viewing the information isn't going to change the fact that it's there.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I know it's not sent to ford but if the information is being stored to view not viewing the information isn't going to change the fact that it's there.

You're right looking at the info is after-the-fact. I meant to say the stored info was available when the health report was read through SYNC.

·
Registered
79 Posts
doesn't 911 assist say something about locating you and being able to access your speed prior to request for help? There was some reason I didn't activate it due to "being watched" so you're not alone nomad.
Cell towers keep track of your phone's location either with or without using SYNC as long as the phone is turned on. The speed access could come from the phone GPS or the Mustang OBD II data and is scary if it get reported. The only benefit I can see is more accurately predicting your location while driving :confused:

·
Registered
900 Posts
That's y I keep my phone in the trunk. Since it's behind me it reads slower speed. :hide:

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
I tape mine to the front bumper...they'll read the data and think "no one in a V6 can drive that fast" and will just assume it's faulty data.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I tape mine to the front bumper...they'll read the data and think "no one in a V6 can drive that fast" and will just assume it's faulty data.
LOL

·
Registered
551 Posts

The report does appear on your ford owner site. I assume Ford has access to that site.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I thought I was the only one that did that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts