Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
You can also switch back to regular at any time, but a lot of ppl will tell you either not too, or to switch only to partial synthetic blends.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Nope, as long as you're using the recommended oil specifications (ex. 5w30). Also, the only time switching back and forth between synthetic and conventional shows to be an issue, is on high mileage cars.

Most synthetic blends have high amounts of detergents in them, which will break apart any "gunk" that's built up in the engines creases. So, a high mileage car is more likely to have "gunk" built up between gaskets, which is actually preventing a potential oil leak, assuming the gasket is on it's last end. When the synthetic oil is used, the detergent will break apart the "gunk" and open up a leak, if the gasket can't hold!

Just a little tech info for ya!

Shane

·
Banned
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, as long as you're using the recommended oil specifications (ex. 5w30). Also, the only time switching back and forth between synthetic and conventional shows to be an issue, is on high mileage cars.

Most synthetic blends have high amounts of detergents in them, which will break apart any "gunk" that's built up in the engines creases. So, a high mileage car is more likely to have "gunk" built up between gaskets, which is actually preventing a potential oil leak, assuming the gasket is on it's last end. When the synthetic oil is used, the detergent will break apart the "gunk" and open up a leak, if the gasket can't hold!

Just a little tech info for ya!

Shane
So synthetic is more likely to cause leaks than conventional?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
No it only causes leaks if you use synthetic an switch back in forth with regular oil cause it will **** your gaskets up but id recommend picking synthetic an sticking with it
Yeah I've done synthetic since the first change on my 08 when I got it and that was about 15k miles ago

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
So synthetic is more likely to cause leaks than conventional?
No, I'm simply stating that switching back and forth could cause a weak spot in your gaskets. If you stick with synthetic full time and are always prompt on your oil changes, there will be no extra slug to begin with.

Hope this clears things up!

Shane

·
Registered
389 Posts
So I've been using regular oil on my 12 the whole time and it's at 41k so would it be good or bad to change to synthetic? I was thinking about switching to amsoil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts