Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I am new here and new to mustangs. I picked up a 2000 gt 5sp the other day. Yesterday I got to do a lot of windows-down cruising. I noticed that my tranny makes a quiet whine anytime it is moving and in gear. If I push the clutch in or put it in neutral while the car is rolling, it goes away. I have also noticed that the noise (while pretty quiet, you can barely hear it with the windows up or the radio on) is most noticeable between 1-2k rpms. Is this normal? I am getting ready to install a stinger cat-back and I am pretty sure Iwon't be able to hear this. I was just wondering if it is something I might want to keep and eye on, or if that is "normal and acceptable" transmission noise? The car has 38k on the clock and is bone stock for now.

Thanks alot.

Andy

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Almost any manual will make a least some noise, its probably normal, but you might want to let a Ford tech or just a good transmission man listen to it to be safe. Good luck with the "new" GT. I know I love my 99, have had it since 02, have not stopped modifying her since I got her either. LOL. Has gone from 27.4K to a bit over 40K now. A safe bet at that mileage, go ahead and have the oil in the transmission changed, you could have a good synthetic put in it, not a bad idea to have the rear end done at the same time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I have only had it for 5 days and I have already ordered a borla stinger cat-back, a K&n FIPK and a Tri-Ax shifter. Man, this is going to be addicting.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
That it is, but fun too! Enjoy your GT glad to have you on our boards, hope you come visit often.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
mmm borla stinger on a gt... mmmm

but yea, i have the whirring sound as well. it happens mostly when i accelerate quickly in 1st or 2nd. if i push in the clutch it stops. it kind of sounds like a ghost rev up. the car revs up while i accelerate, then another rev starts on a different pitch. i dunno if it's normal or not

anyone?

·
Registered
251 Posts
The whine that disappears could be the throwout bearing. All I have seen have some amount of noise even when newly replaced. Long as the clutch is grabbing good I wouldnt stress it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts