Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After all the research i finally got all my parts in, next weekend I'm going to swap my auto to t5!!!
Wish me luck, ill post a tutorial after. I found alot of tutorials on how to do it, but none with an actual step by step video tutorial. If i can help a fellow pony rider it will be worth it.
Little worried tho, I'm not changing my ECU to a manual ECU because if i changed my ECU the car wouldn't start because the codes or whatever wouldn't match "I think its called PATS" which means i would have to tow the car to the dealer, either way i hope it starts and can be drivable for 10 miles to the dealership to get the auto codes flashed to the T5 settings!

·
Registered
748 Posts
After all the research i finally got all my parts in, next weekend I'm going to swap my auto to t5!!!
Wish me luck, ill post a tutorial after. I found alot of tutorials on how to do it, but none with an actual step by step video tutorial. If i can help a fellow pony rider it will be worth it.
Little worried tho, I'm not changing my ECU to a manual ECU because if i changed my ECU the car wouldn't start because the codes or whatever wouldn't match "I think its called PATS" which means i would have to tow the car to the dealer, either way i hope it starts and can be drivable for 10 miles to the dealership to get the auto codes flashed to the T5 settings!
if you don't mind me asking how much it cost total in parts?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if you don't mind me asking how much it cost total in parts?
roughly $1500 could have been less but i got performance clutch assembly, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, short throw shifter, shifter ball, and clutch cable. I got the tranny, driveshaft, bolts, pedal assembly, and wire harness from an auto salvage yard online for 800. The tranny only had 50,000 miles on it, everything worked. I recieve it all today "UPS" i have 300 on the back burner just in case i want to rebuilt the tranny before i put it in.
Ebay has a few of these swaps for 1600 - 2200 bucks problem is everything is bone stock parts. You gets everything NEW except tranny, drive shaft, and pedal assembly, and the tranny is rebuilt so that's good. But i didn't want to go that route because its still ford oem parts and i wanted a little more bang for the buck going aftermarket!
If you decide to do this plan ahead, if you know u will one day change the shifter or clutch, do it from the beginning to save you money.

i can give you a complete parts list of everything you need if you want!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
run an OEM ford throwout bearing or a heavey duty ford throwout, dont use the ones that come in clutch kits FYI, probably same for pilot bearing
Exactly!
i used oem on those but i was just saying i bought those brand new. At least that was what i was trying to say. The only aftermarket that arnt oem would be, clutch, flywheel, shifter "knob and boot" and a few gaskets.
i saved money going this route instead of going with that kit online, because i knew i wanted a few aftermarket performance parts and don't want to spend more money down the line.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
thanks in advance for the writeup, vids, and also snap a ton of pics. It will be a great addition, plus anyone wanted to know about your car/swap in the future can read it. Just have a good light source so we can see details in the pics lol.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
thanks in advance for the writeup, vids, and also snap a ton of pics. It will be a great addition, plus anyone wanted to know about your car/swap in the future can read it. Just have a good light source so we can see details in the pics lol.
+1 there are a lot of guys that for what ever reason acquired an auto, and want to convert it. A good write- would help them quite a bit. To either do the swap themselves, or at least give them a better idea of what is involved to better determine if they still want to do it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For sure im going to do all i can, I wish i would have bought a manual in the first place but i couldn't complain, my uncle bought the car brand new in 02, put 14,000 miles on it and has sat ever since in the garage. Sold it to me for 3500$. So i put 5G into the motor, "m112 supercharger, Powerpack stage 3 from supersix" change the rearend from 7.5 to 8.8 with 373 gears, and full LT headers and true dual exhaust. Now after the trans, i will just need a dyno tune then im done modding it.

I'm take pics of all the parts tonight, then video will come this weekend hopefully.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright Guys!
Update 1

I just want to say, it took me 10 hours to pull the old auto out "thats what happens when u have a few beers and BS with buddys" anyways, it came out last night, im putting the new one in today. Take auto out is alot harder than installing the smaller T5.

So far steps,
remove driveshaft, Ypipe, starter, wires connected to trans, shifter cable, rubber insert to get to the torque converter bolts, 4 torque converter bolts, bell housing bolts, driver seat, center console, shifter.
Taking the auto out isnt fun, for 1 reason its hard to get to the top 4 bellhousing bolts, 3 options, tuff it out with an openend 13mm wrench, get it from the back of the motor from inside the motor area, or get a 2-3 foot long extension with a swivel on the end.
I did tuffed it out except for the top 2 bolts which i used the biggest extension on the planet lol.

Anyways so far so good, you will see it once i get it all done and edit the video.
Sorry about spelling and stuff, my hands are so cut up and can barely type.

·
Registered
916 Posts
wow, im really excited to see this, I've been wanting to do this very same thing. Maybe this could be a sticky?

side note, I'd love to see the parts list if you can.

·
Registered
916 Posts
You just became my best friend. Now I just have to find the wife a car of her own (she cant drive a stick and pretty much refuses to learn, she said we have to get her a car before i can make mine a sticky lol)

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

oh yea, and save up the money for it....and wait for parts.....but that's just details...lmao

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We'll the T5 is in!!!!
Been a long day, just need to put in pedals and clutch cable. The test drive!
My gf is so pissed I did this, she can't drive stick either, and she thinks she can't tell me what I can and can't do to my own car, I don't even let her drive it so wtf lol.
We'll she gon learn today, I do what I please

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There were many times i sat there saying what did i just get myself in too, but as long you keep pushing yourself to continue, u will hit your goal. Wish i had a lift, but i got my car almost 4 feet off the ground, with old school jack stands that are very tall, and a modified bumper jack.

·
Registered
748 Posts
We'll the T5 is in!!!!
Been a long day, just need to put in pedals and clutch cable. The test drive!
My gf is so pissed I did this, she can't drive stick either, and she thinks she can't tell me what I can and can't do to my own car, I don't even let her drive it so wtf lol.
We'll she gon learn today, I do what I please
lmao can't wait to hear how it goes!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.