Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on blacking out my tail and marker lights, and would like to hear some opinions, I know that bigwormmotorsports.com has pre cut vinyl at any % tint but heard it doent last long. What are your opinions on Paint vs Vinyl?

·
Loc: Austin,TX
5,980 Posts
Paint in the taillights for the win. You don't wanna halfass the taillights and sometimes the precut tints can be cut short.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
I would go with paint, it gives a smooth complete look where you can control how dark you go.
Also the precuts are never cut full size you will have a red rim around your lights that will drive OCD people like me insane and look choppy X)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I tried painting my taillights and turned out like ass... I've done quite a bit of spray can painting b4 also and never had any issues...

·
Registered
706 Posts
I am planning on blacking out my tail and marker lights, and would like to hear some opinions, I know that bigwormmotorsports.com has pre cut vinyl at any % tint but heard it doent last long. What are your opinions on Paint vs Vinyl?
You better make sure that your home state laws, don't object/forbid this.. I personally think this is a safety hazard:bad:. Reduction of visibility/brightness of tailamps/lights? Not so much...

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I got lucky and was able to get all the paint off of mine.. I also had painted over the reverse lights and I couldnt see a damn thing backing up..

·
Registered
706 Posts
I also had painted over the reverse lights and I couldnt see a damn thing backing up..

...dat's what I was alluding to....:uhh:

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I got lucky and was able to get all the paint off of mine.. I also had painted over the reverse lights and I couldnt see a damn thing backing up..
I also had painted over the reverse lights and I couldnt see a damn thing backing up..

...dat's what I was alluding to....:uhh:
It should be easy enough to tape them off before painting though, right?

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Napoleon85 said:
It should be easy enough to tape them off before painting though, right?
Shouldn't be too hard..

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
jimbullit said:
You better make sure that your home state laws, don't object/forbid this.. I personally think this is a safety hazard:bad:. Reduction of visibility/brightness of tailamps/lights? Not so much...
Here its also illegal to have lighs too brite. There are a couple led tail light cars whom got cited for distra tingly bright lights. Solution? Replace stock bulbs with LEDs for extra brightness. Win win really... I def hate seeing super dark tail lights where there is not enough light.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Here its also illegal to have lighs too brite. There are a couple led tail light cars whom got cited for distra tingly bright lights. Solution? Replace stock bulbs with LEDs for extra brightness. Win win really... I def hate seeing super dark tail lights where there is not enough light.
I like your suggestion-the 'best'. :good:
I DO NOT favor, safety, over "perceived" vanity :rolleyes:-even though, it's your car, to 'do with as you please'.. Your lack of visibility-especially in fading light/low light situations, effects everyone around you, with your 'blacked-out', lenses...
:mad:

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
jimbullit said:
I like your suggestion-the 'best'. :good:
I DO NOT favor, safety, over "perceived" vanity :rolleyes:-even though, it's your car, to 'do with as you please'.. Your lack of visibility-especially in fading light/low light situations, effects everyone around you, with your 'blacked-out', lenses...
:mad:
I'm not suggesting a full blackout. Im just pointing out that there are solutions which allow tinted tails (and headlights) without sacrificing visibility. I have a friend in town (where we have a bylaw against showy lighting systems which produce too much light) who tinted his tail lights and then added high output led bulbs in his tinted housing. They actually are brighter than before the tinting. Don't take it so personally.

·
Banned
3,606 Posts
Mine are painted. All them except head lights. No issue here. Take yoru time. The more coats you put ont he darker they are. Get some some stuff to wet sand them and between each coat as well. Then also a clear to make them really shine.

This is with the car dirty even

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I say painting is the way to go on the rear
Mine were done by the people who repainted my car and they came out awesome
Just be careful to not go too dark or get someone who will pass ur car cause some places near my house wont pass her for inspection but i finally found a place

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mine are painted. All them except head lights. No issue here. Take yoru time. The more coats you put ont he darker they are. Get some some stuff to wet sand them and between each coat as well. Then also a clear to make them really shine.

This is with the car dirty even

have a picture with the lights on?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts