Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would cause my temp gauge to float? One second its at normal temp then just drops a quarter if the way down then goes right back to normal.

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
there should be a water sensor/sending unit on the intake somewhere in the water passage.

for air you can usually just runn it for a while with the cap off and it should burp out. then you may need to add coolant accordingly.
i would think he air is most likely the problem. whenever an air pocket gets by the sensor it is causing faulty readings.

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Yup, air bubbles or a possible broken sending unit wire are the most likely causes. :good:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Yup, air bubbles or a possible broken sending unit wire are the most likely causes. :good:
Sounds like air, I had this issue 2 hours ago, with engine cold, open rad cap, and rev engine a few hundred RPMs higher than idle, hold it there till the temp gauge settle. Add coolant/water as needed Good luck

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did this twice today and it is better now. Still floats a little but not nearly as much as it did.

Going to do it again tomorrow and see if that takes care of it. Hopefully it does.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I jacked the front if my car up high as i could and it seemed to help getn all the air out

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Kenny laird said:
I jacked the front if my car up high as i could and it seemed to help getn all the air out
Let it run like that for awhile with the cap off

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kenny laird said:

---------- Post added at 12:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 AM ----------

Let it run like that for awhile with the cap off
I'll try jacking it up and see if it helps get that little bit out.

I let it run for 30-45 minutes both times giving it gas every 5-10 minutes. Hopefully there is still a small bubble in there I can get out and not a sensor/sending unit problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts