Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright gt500 owners, I've been on the market for one for a few months now and originally had to have a 13'-14' but today I test a drove a bone stock 11' and fell in love. Keep in mind the fastest car I have is a modded 03 mach 1 so you can imagine I was blown away. Question is, the 13'-14's are $20,000 more on average. Is it worth the extra money? Has anyone had both? I'm not looking to go out and race professionally but I want a gt500 that is worth what I'm paying and will hold up to my weekend abuse and light- moderate modding. Here's a pic, I'm a sucker for black and red. Thanks guys!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
10 GT500s have the Iron 5.4 block (Don't think they have power steering)
11 Gt500s have the aluminum 5.4 (not sure on brakes and other stuff)
12 Gt500s have the aluminum 5.4 (Not sure on brakes)
13/14 GT500's have the aluminum 5.8 with 6 piston Brembos up front (single in rear)
I believe they all have the Tremec trans....

If it was NOT my money I would probably go for a loaded 14. If it was my $ then I would head for a loaded 12 and have fun with upgrades. You will be better off with one that has a 3:55 or 3:31 rear end. Don't forget to do the rear suspension if you want to stay somewhat planted on launches. I will never own a black car due to paint reasons.

·
Premium Member
6,965 Posts
You need to speak to 1 Alibi 2. He owns a Condor and Trinity.
I'd say the Trinity is well worth the money.
Funny thing is there's a Shelby here in that color combo. Nice looking.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Supension and good tires would be the first thing I'd do untill I got a feel for the car to knowhow id want to mod it. It's funny first and second gear seemed a little sticky, I've heard of people having issues with that. I wonder if it will pose a problem.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Recently there was a 2013 race red Shelby with I think 30000 miles on it near me for 41000 and it was loaded but of course that deal flew and its no longer for sale. Personally I would go for a 13 or 14 because I like the styling better, the extra 112 horsepower, and possibly still having the factory warranty although if you are looking to mod that's probably not gonna matter anyways.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I haven't had the opportunity to test drive a 13'-14' yet and I'm going to before I make any decision. I just wanted to see if anyone had advice but I see its all in what you want and what your wallet can handle. I'll be on the lookout for a 13'-14' to drive and compare so I'll keep ya'll posted. Thanks for the help so far!

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
I'll second what Recon said, talk with a Shelby owner that has both.
I love black and my drag only car was black...beautiful when they are kept up.
That Shelby is very nice looking...how many miles on it and was it a one owner car?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I test drove both and would have gone with the 14 GT500 but even with 15k down, the payments were still going to be north of $700 a month. While I was looking I found my 14 Saleen and got it for about 1/2 the price of the 14 GT500, but it is missing the Blower and the bigger brakes but I can upgrade both for under 1OK when I get around to it lol! The 12 was gone when I went back to look at it again :( I ran in to the guy who bought it a few weeks later at our local cars & coffee meet.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll second what Recon said, talk with a Shelby owner that has both.
I love black and my drag only car was black...beautiful when they are kept up.
That Shelby is very nice looking...how many miles on it and was it a one owner car?
It's got 32,000 miles on it. Two owners, which I'm not crazy about but has a clean carfax. It's at a ford dealer near me they are asking $34k but I think they'll come down a few thousand.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
I've owned an '11 PP and now a '12 PP with Recaros. I have driven a '13 PP/TP.
I also came from modded Mach 1 :D

I think it depends on what you want to do with the car. If you want a Shelby for resale then the 13-14 cars are the ones you want. Everyone knows about the 5.8 Shelby with 662 hp factory, 200+ mph, blah blah..right now, those will most likely hold their value, or until Ford makes something even more ridiculous.

Pre 13 cars have dipped in value a little (07-09 cars a lot) so if you want to save some money and mod the hell out of it maybe an 11-12 is a better option, they are no means a terrible car.

An upgraded blower/tune on a 11/12 car will get you around what bolt ons on a 13/14 car will get you.
The 11-12 cars share some upgrades the 5.8 has ie. EPAS, aluminum block, Recaros, 2.75" exhaust, better cooling options that the 07-10's don't have. Obviously the track pack cooling options are nicer on the 5.8 cars especially if you plan on tracking it. The trans is beefed up, launch control is standard, the electronic Bilsteins are sweet if you plan on leaving stock suspension on the car.

Now nobody flame me, cause when I say this I'm not saying the 13/14 cars aren't fast, only a fool would say that, but the 13 I drove with the 3.31 gears did not feel as fast or aggressive as I expected. With the gearing, you don't really realize how quick you're going till you look at the speedo lol, it's pretty weird. It's apparent SVT left a lot on the table with tuning on those cars. But it doesn't take much to make them stupid fast.

A decent 13/14 is about $6-10k more so If you have the money and have resale in mind go for the 13/14. Bolt ons and E85 will make a stupid fast car that's more than likely faster than 95% of the cars on the road. To save a few bucks look into a non PP/TP car. Might not be as desired in the future but if you plan on changing suspension it might be a better option, and they still come with LC, tvs blower, beefed up trans, track apps etc.

I was sort of in the same boat as you with making the jump to a 13/14. I decided resale didn't matter and frankly was more comfortable financially with the 11-12's price range.
I picked up my 1 owner '12 with 4600 miles for $40k out the door and bought a used TVS 2.3 blower literally while driving home in the car that day lol.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've owned an '11 PP and now a '12 PP with Recaros. I have driven a '13 PP/TP.
I also came from modded Mach 1 :D

I think it depends on what you want to do with the car. If you want a Shelby for resale then the 13-14 cars are the ones you want. Everyone knows about the 5.8 Shelby with 662 hp factory, 200+ mph, blah blah..right now, those will most likely hold their value, or until Ford makes something even more ridiculous.

Pre 13 cars have dipped in value a little (07-09 cars a lot) so if you want to save some money and mod the hell out of it maybe an 11-12 is a better option, they are no means a terrible car.

An upgraded blower/tune on a 11/12 car will get you around what bolt ons on a 13/14 car will get you.
The 11-12 cars share some upgrades the 5.8 has ie. EPAS, aluminum block, Recaros, 2.75" exhaust, better cooling options that the 07-10's don't have. Obviously the track pack cooling options are nicer on the 5.8 cars especially if you plan on tracking it. The trans is beefed up, launch control is standard, the electronic Bilsteins are sweet if you plan on leaving stock suspension on the car.

Now nobody flame me, cause when I say this I'm not saying the 13/14 cars aren't fast, only a fool would say that, but the 13 I drove with the 3.31 gears did not feel as fast or aggressive as I expected. With the gearing, you don't really realize how quick you're going till you look at the speedo lol, it's pretty weird. It's apparent SVT left a lot on the table with tuning on those cars. But it doesn't take much to make them stupid fast.

A decent 13/14 is about $6-10k more so If you have the money and have resale in mind go for the 13/14. Bolt ons and E85 will make a stupid fast car that's more than likely faster than 95% of the cars on the road. To save a few bucks look into a non PP/TP car. Might not be as desired in the future but if you plan on changing suspension it might be a better option, and they still come with LC, tvs blower, beefed up trans, track apps etc.

I was sort of in the same boat as you with making the jump to a 13/14. I decided resale didn't matter and frankly was more comfortable financially with the 11-12's price range.
I picked up my 1 owner '12 with 4600 miles for $40k out the door and bought a used TVS 2.3 blower literally while driving home in the car that day lol.
Nice write up man and cheers on the mach 1, I love that car but I'm finally in a position for an upgrade. Resale isn't a huge deal to me because I plan on keeping the car a long time ( I bought the mach new in 03). What does matter is how well the car is going to hold up. This obviously won't be my DD so when I take it out I'm going to drive the thing for what it's made for, I don't plan on making 1000hp but some light modding and styling to make the car my own.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Same here. Was gonna procharge the mach but power is achieved way easier with the newer cars and the s197s are so much nicer inside (relatively speaking).

Since resale doesn't matter it comes down to pocketbook and power goals. The 13/14 cars may be better if you want ~700rwhp after boltons. Keep in mind all the shelbys really wake up after a pulley & tune swap.

That 2011 you drove will feel way different with a 2.6 pulley, midpipe and tune than it does stock. It was that way with both my cars. Bigger blower gets even crazier.

Reliability is pretty solid with the 5.4s and 5.8s. Internals in both max out around the 800rwhp mark. An $800 triple bypass dual fan H/E will solve cooling problems and stock fuel systems are good to 600-650rwhp on 11-12 cars. Then look into a BAP and injectors. Slightly higher on 13/14 cars. Biggest issue is probably the T6060 1-2 shift grind. My 11 didn't have it, my 12 does. A revised synchro and ~$1200 will fix it lol.

Again either car is a great choice. Im sure you wouldnt be dissaponted with the 2011, but remember not to settle for the first car you look at. If you got it for low 30s that'd be a good deal with the miles. Take the money saved and pick up a VMP Gen 2 blower.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500, SGM, " 1 of 1 "
894 Posts
It's got 32,000 miles on it. Two owners, which I'm not crazy about but has a clean carfax. It's at a ford dealer near me they are asking $34k but I think they'll come down a few thousand.

Might know where there is a ( 1 ) owner car, less than 10K miles, lightly modded, black / red stripes........................not currently listed for sale anywhere.
And not too far from you...........& it will be priced to sell when I list it.

·
Premium Member
6,965 Posts
Getting an S550 GT500 when they come out Alibi?

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Might know where there is a ( 1 ) owner car, less than 10K miles, lightly modded, black / red stripes........................not currently listed for sale anywhere.
And not too far from you...........& it will be priced to sell when I list it.

Private message me if you want to talk about it!

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
Private message me if you want to talk about it!

You'll forget all about a 13/14 with the Whipple on that car :lol:

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500, SGM, " 1 of 1 "
894 Posts
Getting an S550 GT500 when they come out Alibi?
Pick your poison.
Only thing I've seen about a new GT500 are rumors, nothing from Ford.
Not wild about the S550 body style.
It would have to have around 865 crank hp to get my attention.
Ford is taking dealership applications for the 2018 MY GT350 now.

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
So any update jasondanger?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts