Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1701 - 1720 of 1908 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,701
You weren't able to talk him into buying that LC500?!?

Nope, but there was a brand new GS F that I mentioned earlier in the thread that he liked a lot. He just wasn’t keen on the idea of dishing that much money on a brand new car. Depreciating asset and all that, plus he’s not a fan of the big grill front ends that Lexus has on all their models nowadays.
I did try to get my grandfather to buy the GT. That thing will be worth some serious coin in a decade or two. The value has already went up but I think it’ll be a million dollar car in the future.

Pick your poison.

---------- Post added at 10:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 AM ----------

I'll take it.

You can have it.

Pick your poison.

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,707
Update: Mach 1 restoration.
IMG_1117.JPG
IMG_1118.JPG
IMG_1119.JPG
IMG_1120.JPG
IMG_1121.JPG
IMG_1122.JPG
IMG_1125.JPG
Ok I was holding off on an update until I got a proper diagnosis, by my machine shop, of the damage. We saw 3 spun rod bearings while disassembling the engine. So crank was most likely done. After getting the engine down to the machine shop it turns out the damage was far worse than that. I figured there’d be some metal debris in the oil, proven right when there was debris on the cams. (See earlier photos)
So one piston made contact with the head, and there was catastrophic oil contamination due to metal debris. Damage: 1 piston done, 1 rod done, crank done, the remaining 7 rods and pistons can be saved but will need to be reworked, cams done, lifters done, timing components done, etc. As my machine shop stated the engine was very close to being totally destroyed. The good news, Block is saved and fixed, along with the heads. And yes the head that was hit by the piston is repaired. After finding out the pistons are actually dished (-3cc) he finally found one after about a week of searching. Now the very bad news: the crank. He’s called nearly everyone going well into Florida and all the way to California. No one has one in F6TECE specs, and ever so conveniently Ford has discontinued the crank. So we’re searching for a used one, or I might have to bite the bullet and get my crank repaired. We’re trying to get all my options before deciding anything. There’s also some more good news (not sarcasm); I sent nearly all the engine down to the machine shop. The car was from the east coast and the saltwater air did a number on the bare aluminum. Photos of the engine after cleaning:
IMG_1315.JPG
IMG_1316.JPG
IMG_1317.JPG
IMG_1319.JPG
IMG_1320.JPG

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
It's hard to tell how bad that crank journal is from the picture but I would try to save it if it is possible. Used Kellogg 4.6 cranks are available, (There may even be some NOS brand new in the box cranks floating around) but they usually need to be, at least, polished before installing them, so you have to add that to the cost of purchasing a replacement v possibly machining your existing crank.
What did the machine shop say about machining the crank? Did they think that it would clean up by removing 0.01 or 0.02 of material?

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,711
So a stroker crank is not an option with this engine? Just asking, I don't a thing about these engines.
No a stroker kit isn’t an option.

It's hard to tell how bad that crank journal is from the picture but I would try to save it if it is possible. Used Kellogg 4.6 cranks are available, (There may even be some NOS brand new in the box cranks floating around) but they usually need to be, at least, polished before installing them, so you have to add that to the cost of purchasing a replacement v possibly machining your existing crank.

What did the machine shop say about machining the crank? Did they think that it would clean up by removing 0.01 or 0.02 of material?
Machine shop stated metal will have to be added. But I may have found a crank, my machine shop will validate if it’s compatible.

Glad you were able to save the block and heads.

IG: @ ab_mach1
I’m happy about that. Another good note is I got a really good deal on a Terminator IRS. I’m going to be picking that up when I get my tax returns. Also something else came in today for the Mach:
IMG_1325.JPG

Pick your poison.

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,714
Top picture is a BIG uhoh:hide:

I'm sorry, bet you weren't counting on having to do some repairs like that?

It’s not a big deal simple control arm and ball joint replacement.
It was eating the inside of the wheel. (See photo above.

Pick your poison.

1701 - 1720 of 1908 Posts