Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1761 - 1780 of 1883 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Recon, 150 hours = 6 1/4 days which I'm sure you know, and your still not done. Did this make you tired? I hope not. Just some trivia for ya.

And that's working on it 24 hours straight for that 6+ days too!

·
Premium Member
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,762
Recon, 150 hours = 6 1/4 days which I'm sure you know, and your still not done. Did this make you tired? I hope not. Just some trivia for ya.

And that's working on it 24 hours straight for that 6+ days too!

I assisted with some parts of the tear down and rebuild, but my boss handled the majority of it, he also oversaw the work when I helped.
IMG_1413.JPG
Only photo I have halfway through the build.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
Or a Continental or Franklin for that matter.
Sorta... None of those aircraft engines are overhead cam.

Ironically, Porsche did in fact build a certified general aviation engine for a short time. And Mooney Aircraft actually built an airplane around this engine. It was called the Mooney-Porsche, I believe.
None of the planes were flown for many hours, but I don't recall there being anything horribly wrong with either the Mooney airframe, or the Porsche engine.
Porsche quickly discovered that the aviation market is very difficult to make any money in. And there is a great deal of liability involved with selling airplane engines to the general public. So they essentially "orphaned" the engine almost immediately after producing the engines for Mooney to use, and they stopped distribution of any spare parts. One of the parts in the engine needs to be replaced on a fairly regular basis for it to comply with a FAA airworthiness directive. Since Porsche, or anyone else, was not willing to produce and supply any FAA certified replacement parts for the engine, as soon as the time was up for that part, it caused the Mooney-Porsche to be grounded with absolutely no way to ever get it certified to fly again. It couldn't even be re-powered by one of the "big three" aircraft manufacturers engines.
As you can imagine, the irate owners filed lawsuits against both Mooney and Porsche seeking compensation. It was a debacle for both companies.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
That's a good looking 110!

I'll go out on a limb, and guess that the majority of the "project" was chasing down electrical gremlins, and trying to make it stop leaking every type of automotive fluids known to mankind! Lol

I always liked the Defender 90, and the original early "Series" vehicles.... all swapped with reliable American drivetrain components, of course. Haha

·
Premium Member
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,773
That's a good looking 110!

I'll go out on a limb, and guess that the majority of the "project" was chasing down electrical gremlins, and trying to make it stop leaking every type of automotive fluids known to mankind! Lol

I always liked the Defender 90, and the original early "Series" vehicles.... all swapped with reliable American drivetrain components, of course. Haha
Actually no. Engine was freshly done, but couldn’t get it running. Buick 215 V8 that was converted to fuel injection, also a right hand drive variant from Ireland. Then other complaints/concerns were addressed, now we’re getting the heat fixed.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
Are you sure that it is a Land Rover then? Lol

My parents had a Range Rover as their last vehicle... Worst car EVER!!!
The only part that seemed fairly Bulletproof was the Buick engine. Everything else was a problem.
The British guy that used to work on it was pretty humorous. One day I was going on and on about what a pile of crap that it was, and British motor cars in general, and he got pissed. In his best Cockney accent, he says to me "Mate, it has a Buick engine, Bosch fuel injection, and a Delco alternator".... My response was "And those are the only components that have not been a problem".
After my folks passed away, I sold it to some guy for roughly scrap value. And I still felt sort of guilty, knowing full well that any money spent fixing it was like flushing it down the toilet.

Inexplicably, I still like the Defenders though. There's just something about the simple, "can of Spam" styling that appeals to me. Much like a International Scout 800.

Best of luck to the owner of that 110.
That will be a fun adventure rig!

·
Registered
8,398 Posts
I suppose that it is both a shame, and a blessing that I don't know much about Ferrari.... Or supercars in general.
The only European sports cars that I have ever been even remotely interested in is Porsche.

·
Premium Member
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,779
It’s a flat plane crank 4.3L V8 453hp, DCT, and Carbon ceramic brakes. Pretty good set up, but I can only imagine the maintenance costs. It’s also heavier than I expected it to be, but from what I hear it manages it weight very well.

Pick your poison.

·
Premium Member
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,780
IMG_3327.jpg

Y’all might find this interesting.
Also I noticed I never made a finishing post about the 62 Corvette fuelie, that should be up over the weekend.

Pick your poison.

1761 - 1780 of 1883 Posts