Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1801 - 1820 of 1884 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,801
IMG_3221.jpg

Also had the Bentley back at the shop for some maintenance. His new toy should be at the shop soon. We’re almost done with one of his two cars that are currently at the shop. Second car is done, but waiting for transport back to him. That photo is after completion and going back to him.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
I'll take another stab at this.

1. Mid 70's K10.
The drivers side door was cracked at the upper hinge, and needed welding/strengthening.
The frame was cracked where the steering box is mounted, and needed welding/strengthening.
The fuel valve for switching between the two saddle tanks was leaking and needed replacement.
I used to own one! (Shortbed) lol

2. Late model 280Z.
Those 5 mph bumpers are a disgrace. What a shame that they were forced to use them.
Gonna ignore the wheels...
Fuel injection problems... Wouldn't start.

3. Early 70's split-bumper Camaro.
Look at it. There is nothing wrong with that car.
For some reason, the owner wasn't happy with the tone of the exhaust, so a little magic was performed and PRESTO.... Problem solved!

4. BMW 2002.
This is one of the only BMW's that I have ever really liked, (Along with the Isetta) and would actually consider buying used....
This car needed brake work. I don't know why, but I'm just feeling brakes on this one.

5. 56 Buick.
Not sure on this one, but if I owned it, I'd want to be able to shoot flames out of those fender ports!

6. Mid 70's kit car.
The Volkswagen engine needed the valves adjusted, and was also suffering from leaking push-rod tubes.

7. Corvette.
Came in for a cam swap and full exhaust, but ultimately decided to just do the exhaust system because he needed the car back before the weekend.

8. Shortened and Channeled Cadillac Eldorado.
This is certainly the most unusual of any of the cars you've photographed at your shop, that I can remember.
Looks to be Volkswagen powered, so I'll guess valves again, and fuel system issues. I'll throw in brakes because it was sitting for a long time unused.

So was I close on any of these? Lol
I'm oddly attracted to that little red Cadillac. Haha. Any details?

·
Premium Member
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,808
I'll take another stab at this.

1. Mid 70's K10.
The drivers side door was cracked at the upper hinge, and needed welding/strengthening.
The frame was cracked where the steering box is mounted, and needed welding/strengthening.
The fuel valve for switching between the two saddle tanks was leaking and needed replacement.
I used to own one! (Shortbed) lol

2. Late model 280Z.
Those 5 mph bumpers are a disgrace. What a shame that they were forced to use them.
Gonna ignore the wheels...
Fuel injection problems... Wouldn't start.

3. Early 70's split-bumper Camaro.
Look at it. There is nothing wrong with that car.
For some reason, the owner wasn't happy with the tone of the exhaust, so a little magic was performed and PRESTO.... Problem solved!

4. BMW 2002.
This is one of the only BMW's that I have ever really liked, (Along with the Isetta) and would actually consider buying used....
This car needed brake work. I don't know why, but I'm just feeling brakes on this one.

5. 56 Buick.
Not sure on this one, but if I owned it, I'd want to be able to shoot flames out of those fender ports!

6. Mid 70's kit car.
The Volkswagen engine needed the valves adjusted, and was also suffering from leaking push-rod tubes.

7. Corvette.
Came in for a cam swap and full exhaust, but ultimately decided to just do the exhaust system because he needed the car back before the weekend.

8. Shortened and Channeled Cadillac Eldorado.
This is certainly the most unusual of any of the cars you've photographed at your shop, that I can remember.
Looks to be Volkswagen powered, so I'll guess valves again, and fuel system issues. I'll throw in brakes because it was sitting for a long time unused.

So was I close on any of these? Lol
I'm oddly attracted to that little red Cadillac. Haha. Any details?
Ok most of this will be from memory so if it’s vague my bad.
1. Exhaust work, Flowmasters, SBC with a lot of work, cam heads headers, sounds good now. Nice truck.
2. Dropped a valve in head but was wedged in head. Didn’t make contact with piston. Other repairs done mostly electrical.
3. Exhaust finished. We did mid pipe and mufflers, this visit for the tail pipes.
4. A very nice restoration. Finished some electrical work, and got engine happy.
5. Needed an alignment.
6. Real 65 Morgan. Alternator upgrade (had generator) also fixed oil leaks. Replaced trans fluid. Pretty sure it’s a triumph engine. Wood floors.
7. A/C compressor, along with finding a belt squeak noise. Had Borla exhaust. Auto
8. Complete custom built 70 Eldorado. Converted to rear engine rwd, 500 Cadillac V8 with no mufflers, mild cam. When I say he built I mean it, he even made the molds for the front end. Hideaway headlights from a Mazda, doors from a camaro actually 4 made into 2, windshield from an f100. We got the engine running good. Also fixed some electrical problems. Also probably one of the highest mileage vehicles at the shop, at least 250k+. Rarely goes a week without driving it.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
Ok most of this will be from memory so if it’s vague my bad.
1. Exhaust work, Flowmasters, SBC with a lot of work, cam heads headers, sounds good now. Nice truck.
2. Dropped a valve in head but was wedged in head. Didn’t make contact with piston. Other repairs done mostly electrical.
3. Exhaust finished. We did mid pipe and mufflers, this visit for the tail pipes.
4. A very nice restoration. Finished some electrical work, and got engine happy.
5. Needed an alignment.
6. Real 65 Morgan. Alternator upgrade (had generator) also fixed oil leaks. Replaced trans fluid. Pretty sure it’s a triumph engine. Wood floors.
7. A/C compressor, along with finding a belt squeak noise. Had Borla exhaust. Auto
8. Complete custom built 70 Eldorado. Converted to rear engine rwd, 500 Cadillac V8 with no mufflers, mild cam. When I say he built I mean it, he even made the molds for the front end. Hideaway headlights from a Mazda, doors from a camaro actually 4 made into 2, windshield from an f100. We got the engine running good. Also fixed some electrical problems. Also probably one of the highest mileage vehicles at the shop, at least 250k+. Rarely goes a week without driving it.

Pick your poison.
My sincerest apologies to the Morgan owner, and to the Cadillac owner.

It's difficult to tell the scale of the Cadillac. That thing looks terrifying now that you have described the drive train! Haha
If it ever comes in again, you have to get some more pictures of it!

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
1. Late model Porsche.
Nothing wrong with it. Porsche cars don't break....
Exhaust system.

2. Mid 70's Chevrolet C10
The hood ornament makes me think that is/was originally a 5.7 liter diesel truck.
I don't see an exhaust pipe, so I'm going to say this was an exhaust job.

3. Late 70's/early 80's Porsche 911
Again, there is nothing to go wrong with a Porsche. And the exhaust was undoubtedly done at the same time as the wing.
I'm going with a brake job on this one...

4. Dodge Challenger
Discovered that the Shaker hood scoop was not shaking correctly. Problem rectified.

5. Cummins Ram
Faulty emissions system.

6. I don't know what this car is. I'm going to guess Maserati.
If that is the case, just let your imagination run wild with the possibilities of what could go wrong...

7. 1975 Triumph TR6
Here is another exception to my "I will NEVER buy a used European car" rule. I always liked them.
It's British, so I'm going to say needed electrical work, and probably had a number of oil leaks needing attention.

8. Roush Mustang
Supercharger belt was slipping.... Easy fix.

9. Early 80's Corvette.
I feel like this is a 4 speed car, and needed some clutch work.

10. 03/04 Mach 1
Isn't this your car Recon?
A little body work on the fender and it is as good as new!

Part 2 tomorrow night. Lol

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
1. 1934 Ford Coupe.
Another car with nothing wrong. Owner stopped by searching for a copy of the ZZ Top "Eliminator" CD. The folks at Recon's Garage were actually able to find one laying around the shop!

2. Pontiac Firebird.
I'm having a vision of fluid.... fluid on the ground....its green.... no, red.... pink....pinkish red.... It's wet, very wet.
Leaking water pump.

3. Pontiac Firebird.
Another one! Must have been running a special for Pontiac Firebirds down at the garage that week.
Came in running rough. Tune up, and replaced leaking vacuum hose.

4. Ford Lightning.
Another slipping supercharger belt. (Those Ford guys and their small pulleys! Sheesh)
Fixed right up and sent out the door.

5. 90-91 Ford Bronco.
This truck looks like it has been garaged, and well maintained for it's entire life. This era of Ford trucks is pretty rock solid, but they came with wonky headlight switches that eventually get hot, melt, and stop working.
So that's my guess on this one.... Headlight switch.

6. Lexus.
Toyota is known for reliability, and this car looks too new for anything to be wrong mechanically,... Headlight bulb replacement.

7. Corvette Z06
Again, too new for anything mechanical.
Has to be a exhaust job....

8. Challenger Hellcat.
Owner came in complaining of low power when doing 50 pulls on the freeway against single turbo, 500 whp, 2V New Edge Mustangs. Checked supercharger belt, found no evidence of slipping. Customer advised to just purchase a single turbo, 550 whp, 2V New Edge Mustang, and sent on his way.

9. Early 80's Volkswagen Caddy.
Yet another exception to my "never buy" list. That list has a lot of exceptions! Lol
Probably due to my affection for the "truck-cars".
This was a 50 mpg vehicle from 40 years ago! The roads would have been full of them if it wasn't for the 50 second 0-60 mph times!
This one just absolutely has to be a issue with the diesel injector pump.

·
Premium Member
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,813
1. Late model Porsche.
Exhaust system.

The hood ornament makes me think that is/was originally a 5.7 liter diesel truck.

Again, there is nothing to go wrong with a Porsche. And the exhaust was undoubtedly done at the same time as the wing.

4. Dodge Challenger
Discovered that the Shaker hood scoop was not shaking correctly. Problem rectified.

5. Cummins Ram
Faulty emissions system.

If that is the case, just let your imagination run wild with the possibilities of what could go wrong...

7. 1975 Triumph TR6
Here is another exception to my "I will NEVER buy a used European car" rule. I always liked them.
It's British, so I'm going to say needed electrical work, and probably had a number of oil leaks needing attention.

8. Roush Mustang

9. Early 80's Corvette.

10. 03/04 Mach 1

1. Late model Porsche.
Exhaust system.

4. Dodge Challenger

5. Cummins Ram
Faulty emissions system.

7. 1975 Triumph TR6

8. Roush Mustang

9. Early 80's Corvette.

10. 03/04 Mach 1

1. 07-08 Turbo. Convertible top malfunction.
2. Late 70’s C10. Freshened up some gaskets and tune up.
3. 84ish 911. Engine ran terribly. Also extensive gasket freshening.
4. R/T shaker. Pretty sure it was A/C.
5. Ram 2500. Oil change along with fuel filter change. I’m amazed this truck is 10K lbs.
6. Maserati lesser trim of Gran Turismo. Oil change.
7. 75 TR6. Friend stopping by to say hi.
8. 09 Roush RTC. Some thing as above.
9. 79 Corvette. Yes it’s a 4 speed. Did engine work, tune up, and gaskets.
10. 03 Mach 1. I was very close to buying it as a parts car for mine. Luckily I posted a picture of the “good side.” Engine didn’t run good so fixed it along with having a driver window installed.

Pick your poison.

·
Premium Member
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,814
1. 1934 Ford Coupe.
Another car with nothing wrong. Owner stopped by searching for a copy of the ZZ Top "Eliminator" CD. The folks at Recon's Garage were actually able to find one laying around the shop!

2. Pontiac Firebird.
I'm having a vision of fluid.... fluid on the ground....its green.... no, red.... pink....pinkish red.... It's wet, very wet.
Leaking water pump.

3. Pontiac Firebird.
Another one! Must have been running a special for Pontiac Firebirds down at the garage that week.
Came in running rough. Tune up, and replaced leaking vacuum hose.

4. Ford Lightning.
Another slipping supercharger belt. (Those Ford guys and their small pulleys! Sheesh)
Fixed right up and sent out the door.

5. 90-91 Ford Bronco.
This truck looks like it has been garaged, and well maintained for it's entire life. This era of Ford trucks is pretty rock solid, but they came with wonky headlight switches that eventually get hot, melt, and stop working.
So that's my guess on this one.... Headlight switch.

6. Lexus.
Toyota is known for reliability, and this car looks too new for anything to be wrong mechanically,... Headlight bulb replacement.

7. Corvette Z06
Again, too new for anything mechanical.
Has to be a exhaust job....

8. Challenger Hellcat.
Owner came in complaining of low power when doing 50 pulls on the freeway against single turbo, 500 whp, 2V New Edge Mustangs. Checked supercharger belt, found no evidence of slipping. Customer advised to just purchase a single turbo, 550 whp, 2V New Edge Mustang, and sent on his way.

9. Early 80's Volkswagen Caddy.
Yet another exception to my "never buy" list. That list has a lot of exceptions! Lol
Probably due to my affection for the "truck-cars".
This was a 50 mpg vehicle from 40 years ago! The roads would have been full of them if it wasn't for the 50 second 0-60 mph times!
This one just absolutely has to be a issue with the diesel injector pump.
1. No working LED brake lights.
2. 01-02 Trans Am. Trans problem.
3. 96 V6. 79k miles, did a complete inspection and oil change.
4. Actually stock everything but keeps blowing spark plugs.
5. To be honest I don’t remember. Maybe exhaust manifolds leaking?
6. 15 GS350 F Sport. Bad tie rod end.
7. Base stingray. Muffler delete.
8. 15-16 Hellcat manual. Under 2500 miles. First set of mufflers deleted.
9. Diesel rabbit. You are correct, injection pump.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
I predict that trucks like that will someday pay for a large house on acreage, and put your children through college, Recon!

That looks pretty fancy! Is it some kind of special edition?
It also looks way too new to be in the shop for any mechanical repairs.... I'm going with some kind of maintenance work, or the owner wanted to hear a little more of that hemi roar.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I bet it‘s parked in the wrong lot. The owner was picking up a mattress from Hays Furniture and the GPS took him to the wrong spot. ;-)

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
I bet it‘s parked in the wrong lot. The owner was picking up a mattress from Hays Furniture and the GPS took him to the wrong spot. ;-)
Hmmm.... I haven't really been considering that possibility.
Could have also been next-door at Don's, getting a haircut....Which I would happily trade some toilet paper, and paper towels for right now! Lol

1801 - 1820 of 1884 Posts