Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1941 - 1960 of 1978 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,941
I wouldn't have guessed that.
Is it because they are so troublesome that GM products are a endless source of revenue?

If you guys have been doing the work on this vehicle for a while now, there is no doubt in my mind that both the engine and transmission oil cooler lines have been replaced at some point....
It has the 8.1L. Had A/C problems and replaced some components and it’s good as new.
I’m usually the test driver of the big tank once maintenance is done. It makes my 5.3 feel like a gutless 4 cylinder. I never beat on it but the amount of torque at low rpm is awesome. If we’re talking about staying with a gas engine. I would entertain the consideration of a truck variant with the 8.1 and Alison trans as a replacement of my truck. But it’d have to be perfection in every possible way for that to happen.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
I have a 8.1/Allison in my 06 2500. It does feel a lot more powerful than the small-block powered 1500's of the same era.
After driving my slightly modified big-block 91 F250 for 25+ years, I wasn't impressed with the 8.1 Chevy engine. It seems like a strong engine, and will certainly do the job, but the factory tune is horrible from a performance standpoint. You can actually feel it holding itself back.
The worst part, for me, is the fuel consumption. I don't recall it ever breaking into the teens, even during unloaded freeway driving.
The 8.1 was a strange chapter in the history of big block Chevrolet engines. It was never really fully accepted by the pickup truck community, and diesel engines ruled the day at the turn of the century, thus, it wasn't around for very long.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Looks like a well kept example of a late 60's early 70's 280 SE.
No idea what a 50 year old Mercedes could be in for.
I always thought that these cars would be great candidates for a modern powertrain swap. Sort of like the Jaguar XJ have been for decades....

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,947
IMG_5367.jpg

IMG_5365.jpg

IMG_5366.jpg

Interesting brake system set up.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
I did not know that you could get a MG with a automatic transmission.
I guess that they didn't bother moving the master cylinder for the left hand drive cars?

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,949
IMG_5628.jpg

Got 3 of them almost ready to go in the new building again. But one is missing, hopefully in the not too distant future we’ll resume the restoration of it.

Pick your poison.

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,951
That's a nice looking building!
Is it brand new?
Thank you.
Yes, it’s almost finished. Not much left. We sealed the floor over the weekend and toys are going in tonight and tomorrow. The bathroom isn’t finished yet but the biggest thing is when the lift is installed.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
Thank you.
Yes, it’s almost finished. Not much left. We sealed the floor over the weekend and toys are going in tonight and tomorrow. The bathroom isn’t finished yet but the biggest thing is when the lift is installed.

Pick your poison.
That will be fun to fill up!

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,955
That will be fun to fill up!
I’ll post a photo later tonight.

Did you buy another one?
Haha, no. I found this car for some friends and they bought it. It’s quite a nice piece. Better condition than my two, stonger (440rwhp), and much rarer only auto in the color combo rest of them (11 or 12) were stick shifts. Originally a display car.

Pick your poison.

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,956
IMG_5664.jpg

Not everyone is in here. But maybe by the weekend they will be. Mach has to be cleaned before coming in and the Chevy stays in the garage still, at the moment.

Pick your poison.

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,958
That is beautiful!
The building is a lot larger than it appears in that exterior photo.

Floor looks great!
Is that colored concrete?
It is quite a nice looking car. I can honestly say that car will place in any show it attends. Such as nicely done car, and in showroom condition.
The roof is 40x70, but the actual building is 40x60. Has a 10 foot patio on the back portion.
To my knowledge no it isn’t colored concrete. That’s basically the sealant changing the color. I think it looks quite nice. The darker color is a nice touch.

Pick your poison.

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,959
Got a survivor 68 Riviera GS stopping by the shop tomorrow. Truth be told it was here today but it’ll be here longer tomorrow. Pretty nice ol car.

Pick your poison.

·
Premium Member
6,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,960
IMG_5825.jpg

At the show today.

Pick your poison.

1941 - 1960 of 1978 Posts