Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dang, this phenolic is a pain to cut! And of course I have a cheap cordless drill. Glad I got a decent jig saw at least, the holes are going to be a pain to cut out I imagine! I should have a couple of them cut out by Thanksgiving break. Can put it in then while classes are out ;)

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
OK are you wearing a mask when you cut Phenolic!!! The resin in Phenolic is extremely dangerous and Cancer causing. Professionals who work with it use respirators and a well ventilated area. It is dangerous to work with in a house the dust particles get in the A/C ducts and spread around the house. The dust gets into the eye ducts and can spread thruout the blood system. Only using a surgical mask is insufficient you need to protect the eyes and the people around you.

184 Posts
dang u might as well have ordered a slab of Anthrax!!! :D :D

on a serious note no way id be making my own.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got a dual filter dust mask at Lowes and I do all of the cutting out in the back yard :D Those cheap paper masks fog up my glasses anyway. Now I have a nice dust mask for porting stuff as well! yay me! :headbang:

Haven't even noticed any effects from it, I make sure to dust myself off really well before going back inside.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm the DIY type person :D

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, got it all cut out and no G10 inhaled. Just gotta do some dremel work to smooth out some edges and it will be ready to be installed!

A question: Do I need to get new bolts? It's a 1/2" spacer

Thanx

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also, what size would those bolts be?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
From what I understand, yes, you do need longer bolts if you're puting anything over 3/8 of a spacer on. I dont know the measurements of it though. you could always take one off, and run to the hardware store ;)

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I'm having a friend comming over to help me out so we have his car to make a run to the store :D

will be putting it in on saturday.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Just be sure to remember to mark everything very well when you dis-connect everything.

Let me know how you like it.

By the way... you know there is an installation How to for this mod right? :D.

http://v6stangs.com/how_to/performance/flex_spacers/

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup, I've seen the installation and will probably have it up on the computer while I do the work :D

I'll have the marker and the masking tape out for this work for sure!

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
whipster24 said:
Yup, I've seen the installation and will probably have it up on the computer while I do the work :D
Yeah, I wish this site had the procedures when I instaled mine :oops: :oops:

AS it turns out, after I installed it and made sure everything, went through a lot of BS..., some bozo makes a how to for it that would have saved me a lot of time :rolleyes:

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And I'll be posting the bolts required after saturday :) there's a really good machine shop here that should have what I need.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Danger Dude said:
Hey Evin does Erick have spacers on his car ????
He was supposed to have the spacers during his engine rebuild. But, the powers that be, couldnt get the spacers to him in time.

So no, he doesnt have the spacers on his car

·
Registered
168 Posts
I am making my spacer soon... I have everything I need cept for the mask. I was wondering what kinda torque wrench I need also. I saw one at a autoparts store for $20, but it was 120-950 in. pound. I was wondering if this would work? Also, I know to tighten the throttle body to 81 in. lb, but what about the intake bolts? Is it the same?

Also, you who have put in the intake spacer, have you really noticed any difference in power?? I really hope I do. I also hope I dont screw up on anything!! That would really suck if I mess my car up!! Ohh well though, I will just have to take my chances.

Thanks and later

·
Registered
168 Posts
uhh, anyone come to these boards any more?? :-?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
98GreenStallion said:
I was wondering what kinda torque wrench I need also. I saw one at a autoparts store for $20, but it was 120-950 in. pound. I was wondering if this would work? but what about the intake bolts?
Get a TQ wrench that will do you some good down the road. My TQ Wrench cost me like 80 bucks. It goes from 15-140 ft/lbs or something. You can get a in/lb wrench, jsut remember, if you need a ft/lb conversion, it's a 12x multiplier.

Also, you who have put in the intake spacer, have you really noticed any difference in power?? I really hope I do. I also hope I dont screw up on anything!! That would really suck if I mess my car up!! Ohh well though, I will just have to take my chances.

I love my spacer. When I installed it and tested it for the first time, I was actually able to chirp third gear :D. It's worth it in my book.

If you're not aware, I made a step by step "How-To" on installing spacers... check it out :)

http://v6stangs.com/how_to/performance/flex_spacers

:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts