Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after having a bunch of suspension upgrades earlier this week, I also had them stick an RTR chin spoiler / splitter on there they had sitting on the wall.

Awesome. Right?

Now, went to change my oil and my Race Ramps don't fit under the new chin spoiler! :banghead:

Once the tires are on the ramp, the splitter touches the ramp.

Any bright ideas, or do I just need a floor jack? I can life the car up and stick a ramp under as a jackstand. Not sure if it will lift high enough ... already spent so much damn money this week on this car wife is starting to give me that "Seriously?" look.

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Race ramps? I have some 'Black Widow' ramps that are only a couple inches that get me high enough to get my low-pro floor jack under the car.. Then I use jack stands..
Never been a fan of ramps.. I prefer jack stands personally

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
I have wooden ramps to get on my normal ramps...just a small price to pay for a good ride height.

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
Lol, I just drive up on a brick, then side my jack under the car. My side splitters have now made that task a pita.

I so love changing the oil in my F150. All I've got to do is slide my fat ass under there. Lol

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried driving onto some boards ... but it hits AFTER the tires leave the board and get on the ramp.

Ford needs to disclose the REAL cost of ownership of these cars on the window sticks ... I feel like a crack addict grubbing for my next fix ... every time I turn around, gotta buy something. :eek:

Roush side splitters next ... dammit .... see what I mean?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol, I just drive up on a brick, then side my jack under the car. My side splitters have now made that task a pita.

I so love changing the oil in my F150. All I've got to do is slide my fat ass under there. Lol
Same with my wife's Pilot ... almost don't need to lift it at all.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Low Profile Aluminum Racing Jack - 2 Ton, Rapid Pump®

I know the best in the world, but there is a HF store in Richmond and just happen (seriously) to be going there tomorrow, anyway.

I have Roush lowering springs, so my car is I think at most 1 1/4 lower than stock. Any idea if the above jack will fit under the car or will I need to drive up on boards? It says the min saddle height is 3 1/4 " which fits under the car if that is what that measurement means.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Funny you mention this. I just turn the ramps to the side to allow me to slightly get up on them. Then jack the car up and reposition ramps if I needed.
I did that once from only the passenger side, raised it enough to remove and reinstall the front bumper. I see u were able to do both sides, but how did u get it back down? I don't think you can simply back off to get down??

·
Registered
698 Posts
I did that once from only the passenger side, raised it enough to remove and reinstall the front bumper. I see u were able to do both sides, but how did u get it back down? I don't think you can simply back off to get down??
Yeah, I'd tear off the bumper if I backed down. I just rejacked and placed the ramps back in the original side position like I came up on them.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Next time check for clearance BEFORE you put on a spoiler.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
I have a low profile aluminum racing jack that fits under the sides.

If i'm wanting the car off the ground I have 6 2x12's cut to 14". Build a pyramid with them and drive up them. Then I can fit my big 3 ton sears jack under it. I don't trust those small aluminum jacks for more than 6".

My wife's gt barely clears the plastic ramps at stock ride height with the mach 1 chin spoiler.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
then buy a 4 ton...i use a low profile 4 ton and it slides just fine even with my new lowering springs

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, having never jacked the car before (always used ramps) I googled the jack points ... my God, it's almost as bad as searching for what oil to use.

That said, if I want to jack the front and stick the ramps under the tiers in lieu of jack stands (we're just changing oil here) where is the safe jacking point for a floor jack? It seems like the front cross member just forward of the oil pan would be a good point? Do you need wood under it?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
mmike87 said:
OK, having never jacked the car before (always used ramps) I googled the jack points ... my God, it's almost as bad as searching for what oil to use.

That said, if I want to jack the front and stick the ramps under the tiers in lieu of jack stands (we're just changing oil here) where is the safe jacking point for a floor jack? It seems like the front cross member just forward of the oil pan would be a good point? Do you need wood under it?
That's the spot, no wood needed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts