Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just won an ebay auction for a 2000 f-150 4.2. I ended up paying $755, which I'm kicking my self over because if I had waited to bid on it until the last second I could have had it for $510. Still a good deal though because I'm going to drive there and pick it up and for a motor with the same miles the salvage yards around here charge $1200+ So now I'll have an extra set of heads, and 4.2 intakes to sell off to recoupe some of the cost. It'll probably take me a while to get it all put together, but I'm still really excited. I've wanted to do the 4.2 swap for several years but I'd never been able to find a resonably priced motor for donor parts.

:D This rules :D just thought I'd share.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
:wstupid:

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Hey, since you got a 4.2 now, are you planning on swapping your engine, or swapping the internals? You may need to remove the knock sensors and plug them if you swap the whole engine. If you have any 4.2 questions, I'm your man. I think you PM'd me once before.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have been seeing this 4.2L mentioned around here alot lately, what are the power gaines from the 3.8L that normally comes with the mustang v6's, any huge differance, more ummphhh when needed?

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
The power gains are very little, but the torque gains are the real improvement here. But with the increase of displacement you allow the engine to make more power with bigger mods. For example big-valved heads on a 3.8 are kinda wasteful, but lets say you have your 3.8, and if you went to a 4.2, your engine would still in theory make the same power. But with big valved heads you could flow more useful air and then make more power. Does that make sense? When you think of your engine, think of it as an air pump. You want the air to move fast and free of disturbance. If you have an over-flow of air, the air slows down and then you result in a decrese of power.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What I was planning to do was use the 4.2 block, get the 2001 oil pan, and then swap my heads and intakes over to the new block. I need to check and see if my ASP underdrive pulley will still work. I can't remember now if I have the one for externally balanced one or the one for internally balanced motor. Which one of those works for the 4.2? The 4.2 is internally balanced right? I was under the impression that the 4.2 block was exactly the same as the 3.8?

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Yes, the 4.2 block is identical. Do you know what year the block is? if it's a 97-98 4.2L the 94-98 mustang pulleys work, and if it's a 99+ 4.2L block you can use the respective pulley and balancer or a 01+ mustang pulley.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's out of a 2000, same year as my mustang. They swapped the pulley setup part way through the year, to the 2001+ style, but I can't remember which one I have. I just have to look to see if I have the externally balanced pulley or not. Now, if I have the 2001+ style then it will work with the 4.2 crank out of a 2000, right?

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Well if the 4.2 block is from a 2000 and you don't have it's pulley and balancer, you'll need to buy a 01+ Mustang pulley. Might as well get an underdrive pulley then. You can try your pulley, but I won't promise you anything. Just be safe and get the right one.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, to be clear, I already have an underdrive pulley, but I'm not sure if it's the 2001+ style or not.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Horse said:
Sorry, to be clear, I already have an underdrive pulley, but I'm not sure if it's the 2001+ style or not.
Well if you said you have one for a 2000, then it's not the right one.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Actually it might be. In the middle of the 2000 model year they switched it, so some 2000 actually have the same dampner as the 2001+'s. I remember being asked which kind I had when I got my ASP pulley, but I can't remember which kind I have.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ZimStang said:
think this will be done by the end of this season?
I doubt I'll have it done by the end of this season. This is going to take a while. Most of the reason it's going to take a while is because I need to save up for the parts and machine work. I'm going to have the blocked bored and get flattop pistons for it. That's going to take some cash. I haven't decided if I'm going to use forged rods yet or not. I don't plan on doing forced induction, but if I do eventually then I'll be kicking myself when I have to tear it all apart again.

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
Yeah you might as well use forged rods... even if you dont put a blower or somethin on it right away, a couple years down the road theyll still be there for ya :) I think its so funny how youve got all this engine work done to your car but your still runnin the stock straw exhaust and stock intake. UPGRADE THAT!! lol... that was one of my favorite gains (the exhaust / CAI ) when i added those it felt like a whole new car. :thumbs2:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts