Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, did everyone know that we have an electronic chip in our keys that lets the ignition know to start and to turn off the theft light? I was going to just go and make an extra key for my stang and a freind told me I have to go get one through Ford so it'll match up otherwise my car wouldn't start...........Does anyone know if this is true?

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Very true and the key is 19.99 and the programming is 75 to 100 depending on how much of the crook the dealership is :oops: :oops: :( :( :( :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
some did... if your key is kinda bulky then its got it, if its really small and not bulky... you dont. I know mine doesnt have it, but my buddies 96 GT does... i really cant give a for sure yes or no

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you can also look at the top of your key and if you see like a little square on top that looks like you could pop it off then you have a chip........mine does and my stereo guy told me about it right as I was heading to get a new key made. That would have sucked to get a key made and it not work............

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
lol yeah, they probably would have said something about there being a chip though... damn ford and their continuous ways to rip us off and make more money :oops:

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
it was standard on all 98+ models and an option for 97s. it is known as the PATS system. Passive Anti-Theft Security.

the programmed keys go for about $75 at a dealership (where im at anyway). and yes, the ECU sends a signal to the chip, if its not there, then the engine will crank, but not start.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well whatever you guys do don't lose your key's. Cause damn it's going to cost an arm and a damn leg to replace let alone get a duplicate made.......

·
Registered
414 Posts
Then again you can get a spare key made cheap that will at least open your doors so you can get in if you lock your keys in your car or something.

Hey, anybody know if that chip is water proof?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I washed the remote pad to my 94 once, I had to get a new battery put in it, but other than that it was fine. (washed in with the laundry) :oops:

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
If you look in your owner's guide, there is a section on programing keys. (I have an 02 it's on page 103 for me). If you have the 2 programed keys that came with your car you can program more yourself and save some $$$.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Wow, you can program them yourself? Cool. I'll have to check that out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts