Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my water to cool my engine down is leaking from the themostat. I will be parking my car because of this but any ideas on how to fix this? It's very minor but water is still seeping out of it

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Just go get a new thermostat, gasket and some RTV sealant.. Make sure all the surfaces are super clean.
It's an extremely easy swap.. Doing mine tomorrow. :good:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
deadsp0t said:
Just go get a new thermostat, gasket and some RTV sealant.. Make sure all the surfaces are super clean.
It's an extremely easy swap.. Doing mine tomorrow. :good:
How much would it cost? Could I get them from autozone?

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
How much would it cost? Could I get them from autozone?
Yup, like $10 for the T-Stat $5 for the gasket and $7.50 for the RTV..

Biggest thing is to make sure the surfaces are spotless!!!! If you have a Haynes or Chiltons manual there are details on the repair in it..

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
deadsp0t said:
Yup, like $10 for the T-Stat $5 for the gasket and $7.50 for the RTV..

Biggest thing is to make sure the surfaces are spotless!!!! If you have a Haynes or Chiltons manual there are details on the repair in it..
Okay thanks!! And do I really need that rtv? That junk is messy

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Okay thanks!! And do I really need that rtv? That junk is messy
Yes!! You do not need a lot but it will ensure you don't have any leaks and don't have to do it twice! It comes in smaller tubes for single use, will save a couple bucks.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
deadsp0t said:
Yes!! You do not need a lot but it will ensure you don't have any leaks and don't have to do it twice! It comes in smaller tubes for single use, will save a couple bucks.
I actually have a leftover tube of it :D. I just wanted to keep it as clean as possible haha

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Can you get a photo of the thermostat housing and surrounding area? It is very common on our cars that somewhere around 100k miles the inner wall of the plastic flange's coolant passage (between the t-stat housing and the head) will deteriorate and allow the formed sealing ring to bulge out--allowing coolant to leak.

It looks like this when it fails:

When mine failed I disassembled the aluminum crossover and manifold; scraped it all as clean as a dinner plate, removing all deteriorated plastic and other crud; degreased it all with denatured alcohol, and reassembled it using JB-Weld with no gaskets--that was 35k miles ago:

(I also bought a new FRPP manifold which sits in my attic, as insurance that the JB-Weld repair will never fail.)

Get a photo of it if you can, if it has failed as described above it will be obvious...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts