Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Banned
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard this is a common problem on our 4.0 mine has 41k and i want to change it before it goues out on me and leaves me stranded on the sahara dessert. Is it easy to do? I havent found any videos on how to do it.. Or should i take it to a mechanic.. I plan on changing the thermostat and the housing

·
Banned
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
99ford said:
It's pretty simple there are 4 screws just to the right of the engine block you can't miss it. From what I've been told it pretty much screws in and out. The shop charged me $300 150.00 for the part and $50 for the coolant and $100 for labor.
Dammmn 50 for coolant??? its around 19$ for a gallon and for the parts the housing is 35$ and the thermo is 9$

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
My starting leaking at 60k miles, apparantly that's when about 90% of peoples do go out on the 4.0...but it's not too difficult of a repair

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Andy714 said:
I was thinking on knockin it down at 50k before it knocks me up on the road
And before it spews coolant all on the inside of your engine bay...looked like my engine threw up!

---------- Post added at 11:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

Andy714 said:
I was thinking on knockin it down at 50k before it knocks me up on the road
And before it spews coolant everywhere!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Definitely let me know how it goes. I just hit 51k on mine and sounds like I might have to take care of it as well before I am forced to do it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's unfortunate. My clutch went out 2 weeks after I bought my car but I told the car salesman about it started to wear out when i test drove it. He assured me it was nothing and said he had confidence in his car that if the clutch was bad, he would replace it. Sure enough, I got it looked at and it was bad. Good thing was that he kept to his word and paid me for the clutch and installation. I got the spec stage 1 clutch from americanmsucle.com

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Andy714 said:
I dont think it gives you any hints that its about to fail.. But once it goes bad your car will overheat and if youre far from home youre going to have to have it towed
Wrong....you'll have coolant leaking under your car and it'll be in your engine bay, trace it to the source and there ya go

·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
When the thermostat housing splits there is no warning before hand. That was my experience too. No leaks on the garage floor the week before; nothing on the day it happened. No coolant odor from the car at all.

Nothing on the first two passes at the track.

On the third pass, did the burn out and had just prestaged when the starter waved me off and said "you're overflowing". There wasn't any sign of spillage from the burnout box up to where I prestaged. Pulled back to the pits, popped the hood and started it up - and coolant was spewing all back in the valley between the heads.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I heard this is a common problem on our 4.0 mine has 41k and i want to change it before it goues out on me and leaves me stranded on the sahara dessert. Is it easy to do? I havent found any videos on how to do it.. Or should i take it to a mechanic.. I plan on changing the thermostat and the housing
Haha remember when I told u I got stranded in the Vegas desert? Lol

1 - 20 of 43 Posts