Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new thermostat. The guys at Kragen sold me a gasket. The gasket doesn't look like the thermostat housing on my car. Therefore, I believe I was sold this gasket in err.

Can anyone confirm this for me? I'd rather not tear up my current gasket to realize I have the wrong gasket on the bench.

Here is a picture of the gasket they sold me:

My thermostat does not have the little "O" thing in the upper left. Not sure what that is for! But I don't have one.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Yes, that is definately NOT the right gasket. You can go with silicone if you want or go get the right gasket. You already paid for it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the next obvious question is... Did they even sell me the right thermostat? Though, I don't think a picture will help with determining that one.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
well what kind of thermo is it? Stant? I think your best bet is to just go back and verify the thermo and switch out the gasket for the right one. I had something like this happen to me before. I needed an alternator, so I went to the store, and bought it. I just looked it really quick, it looked like the right one. Took it apart and polished the hell out of it. Turns out it was the wrong alt. I was so mad. So I took it back and got the right one. No questions asked.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It's a prestone 300-180. It cross-references to Stant's 13008 and 13308.

Edit: According to a quick search, Stant's 13008 is the correct thermostat. So. I'll be doing that tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
I go this info from the stant website:

Thermostats:
- Premium Thermo, Part #45359
- Economy Thermo, Part #13009

Thermo Gasket:
- Thermostat Gasket, Part #25138

I'm going to assume you have a 2002 right?

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
What kind of search did you do?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I searched on V6Power and they said it was the right one. :confused:

Are those 195* thermos or 180*? I believe this one is a 180* off a 95 5.0 but it is the same one for 3.8s.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Well I just did a search on the stant website, and it gives me the same part numbers for 5.0's and 3.8's. You can tell if it's a 195 or a 180. it should be stamped on the front on the thermo.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
97Stallion said:
Well I just did a search on the stant website, and it gives me the same part numbers for 5.0's and 3.8's. You can tell if it's a 195 or a 180. it should be stamped on the front on the thermo.
180/82 is stamped on the front. I'm fairly confident now it's the correct one... Unless Kragen's database and v6p are both wrong. Unlikely, I think.

It's almost not worth driving down there to pick up a new gasket, considering I'll spend twice as much in gas. :disgust:

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Yeah, i think it is the right thermo. Even the other one thermo that stant list is off by one number.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts