Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows everyone doin? You can probably tell from my name that I used to own a V6 stang. And by sc, im not from south carolina....she had a vortech blower! lol. But that car is gone now, I sold her to some lucky kid. Now Im steppin up to run with the big dogs. I was checkin out a 97 Mustang GT, black with black leather. Very nice. Had the 2003 GT wheels on it, looked real cool. Now this car is a 5 speed. How high should the clutch be if it is in normal condition? What is normal on these cars? If the clutch should be replaced, any idea how much these clutches cost? Are there any peticular problems I should know about of these year gt's? It looks to be in excellent condition and drives out real nice, but Im wondering about the clutch. Its only got 79k miles, which is pretty good for a 1997. Another question... This guy is asking $8,900. The car blue books at $7,500. He put brand new wheels, tires, and brakes on it. I originally offered him $8,200 for the car, before I realized what the blue book is. Now considering the additions and repairs he did to the car, what do you think a reasonable price is? Keep in mind he had told me this car has been for sale for over 3 months and he needs to get rid of it for the space, even tho he doesnt want to. I was thinking about offering him $7,800...Think thats reasonable?

·
Registered
68 Posts
id say around 7,800 is about right.

·
Registered
31 Posts
why don't you get a 99+, i have seen them available for less than 10k . You will get more power to start with than a 96-98.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I wouldn't go over 8000 on it. you can probably find a 99 for around 9-10 grand I bet though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ditto. Luv my 01 GT.

·
Registered
68 Posts
paersonally i like sn95 style but to each their own!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I prefer the 94-98 body style, I dont care much at all for the 99+ stangs. I think the 94-98's have smoother body lines. And 8k is all i can afford to spend on the car, so I think my best bet is this one... Because I already bought it a few days ago. Its exactly what I wanted, black with all black leather interior and a 5 speed. This is the only one like that I have seen in my area (milwaukee). And if it means losing out to 40hp by getting an older gt, then so be it. Either way, its gonna get a vortech v2 blower so im not overly concerned. Either car could run an 11 on the 1/4 mile with what im gonna do to it!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I like them all, had a 94 v6 before I got the 99 GT vert, but I would do the PI head swap before I would invest in a SC for it if I were you, I think you are about right on the price.

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
what's wrong with 99+ body style?... it obviously sold quite a few cars :)... (not to say that your model years were ugly, as they weren't... just defending my model years :D)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im not trying to offend your model era, but like someone said earlier, to each his own. Im happy with my new car. I honestly think the body lines and whatnot on the 99+ are too squared off. I like my car because it has a more smoother look, but thats my opinion. Now before I strap my vortech on, Im going to invest in some ported and polished GT40 heads with a 3 angle valve job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No GT40 my boy - New vocabulary words

PI- Power improved- keeping up with the 99+ jones'
Timing Chain (s)- really long things that keep everything turning- two of them
Intake manifold- Really expensive overpriced piece of aluminum
Gear swap- cheapest way to get seat of the pants kick

Or to go retro-
5.0 stroker short block $4000- no lunch money for a while
add PI heads $1000 -no breakfast

or a V2 Kit for about $3500+ install

Sheesh... new mod owners =)
Congrats on the new Stang

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok so apparently we have a smartass. As if I dont know what a damn timing chain is? I think you took too much time to write that post...Obviously way too much thought then what its worth. But I think my posi 3:73 gears will work out fine for now. And a V2 kit with about 8 pounds of boost is about 4200 direct from vortech.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
my friends got a 96 gt up for sale cuz he wants a truck.... very nice shape car with 98 cobras and nearly new tires its a 5 spd and has 3.73s out back and a few other mods such as full exhaust with no cats and old series flowmasters (sounds better than any other 4.6 ive yet to hear)

to run with the big dogs you need far more than a bolt on pre 99 gt.... get a 99 up gt you WONT BE SORRY....

·
Premium Member
2,037 Posts
lol, the man's already driving the car, lol.... PS, is your friend interested in selling some rear axles?... also the rims?

·
Premium Member
3,216 Posts
SpectorV said:
my friends got a 96 gt up for sale cuz he wants a truck.... very nice shape car with 98 cobras and nearly new tires its a 5 spd and has 3.73s out back and a few other mods such as full exhaust with no cats and old series flowmasters (sounds better than any other 4.6 ive yet to hear)

to run with the big dogs you need far more than a bolt on pre 99 gt.... get a 99 up gt you WONT BE SORRY....
your friend wouldn't want a dodge ram would he? How much is he asking for said GT

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
7200 im sure he will take less~ and he has a truck he wants as soon a he sells the car so i doubt he will be interested.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts