Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 40 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
It's funny how these topics always get out of hand. The V6 guys are happy with their cars and the V8 guys say he should go for the V8. Of course everyone is going to push for what they have but at the end of the day there is no best car just a car that fits your needs the best. To the OP in your original post you said you regretted getting the 5.0. If that's that case and you can afford it then you should upgrade if it makes you happy. If you look and find a certified pre-owned you will actually get a better warranty then a new car comes with.

As far as 'is it worth it' that is really only a question you can answer. Just know aside from the engine and a few cosmetic items (hood vents, bigger rims, and foglights in grill) your going to have essentially the exact same car. I have a V6 and love it and have had V8 muscle cars in the past and loved them as well. I miss the V8 sound and low end torque but love the MPG's I'm getting for a DD and at this point in my life I don't have a garage or time to race it so its strictly a DD. At the end of the day your the one who has to drive it and your the one spending the money. Newer cars will never be an investment so you gotta pay to play. I had a 370Z that after 4 months of owning hated it so I traded it in. Lost a little but I am happy with what I drive now so its worth it.

·
Premium Member
687 Posts
Bro, what's to ask opinions on????? Its only worth it, if its that important to have 420 HP! Only you can answer that question! Your 3.7 and the 5.0 look very similar and to the average person, they don't care if you have a V6 or V8.

The average person is not going to care or be impressed with you having 420 HP over 305 HP. If 305 HP is not enough for ya then step up to the 5.0 and nothing to think about.

Asking someone if buying a V8 is worth it over a V6 is a silly question. That's an individual answer with a no right or wrong answer. Its an individual preference. The question you need to ask yourself is this?

Is a 5.0 worth it to me? Why do I want a 5.0? What will I do different with the 5.0 that I don't do with the 3.7? Will woman want my Johnson more if I get a 5.0?

My 69 year old father got a 2014 5.0 because he didn't want to get his balls busted about owning a V6 mustang. He will never come close to using 420 HP and he actually drives slow enough to drive Miss F-ing Daisey but he got the 5.0 because he didn't want to get busted on!

Bro, let's be honest with each other and the group. You regret buying the V6 because people are always busting your balls about buying a V6 mustang. Come on bro, let it out, come clean. I know this because I get my balls busted constantly from my fellow co-workers, friends and even strangers. People always saying " oh, you got a V6 mustang! " "Why in the world would you buy a mustang that's a V6? "

You regret the purchase because you had no idea how bad you were going to take a ball beating from people about owning a 305 HP mustang. Its okay bro. Us V6 owners have been there and are still there.

Being just 20, that's a hard age where you really value what others think and being the cool guy is just super cool. You owning a 5.0 would make you feel super cool like the other super cool kids so you should buy the 5.0. My father wanted to be the man with the 5.0 and a V6 wouldn't cut the mustard. Its like owning a motorcycle. You either own a Harley Davidson or the rest is a joke.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I don't know why anyone in their right mind would base their car buying on a girl wanting his johnson. Most women don't know ****. They would think a 325i is more "pimp" (richer, flashier, whatever adj you want to use) than a gtr. *****es don't know **** most of the time. That's why when you find one that does know cars, you marry them on site. My wife doesn't care **** about cars, but she supports my hobby and that's enough. I sold my 08cbr1000rr for money for an engagement ring; now I have my tundra paid off, second 5.0 (she let me sell one back in the day and realize I should have kept it) and I can mod it know issues even with a kid on the way (disclaimer: as a guy, you should have some priorities and not push to blow your account on car stuff; do it slow).
In closing, I agree with you in saying "buy for you, not someone else's opinion on what's awesome. Most of the time nowadays, some ****ty hybrid from a Japanese company with a power cell manufactured in China with salt from South America would be considered cool because it saves the environment while China destroys it quietly. That's the changing world we live in.

In the words of Kevin Hart: "Do you booboo!!"

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
It's funny how these topics always get out of hand. The V6 guys are happy with their cars and the V8 guys say he should go for the V8. Of course everyone is going to push for what they have but at the end of the day there is no best car just a car that fits your needs the best. To the OP in your original post you said you regretted getting the 5.0. If that's that case and you can afford it then you should upgrade if it makes you happy. If you look and find a certified pre-owned you will actually get a better warranty then a new car comes with.

As far as 'is it worth it' that is really only a question you can answer. Just know aside from the engine and a few cosmetic items (hood vents, bigger rims, and foglights in grill) your going to have essentially the exact same car. I have a V6 and love it and have had V8 muscle cars in the past and loved them as well. I miss the V8 sound and low end torque but love the MPG's I'm getting for a DD and at this point in my life I don't have a garage or time to race it so its strictly a DD. At the end of the day your the one who has to drive it and your the one spending the money. Newer cars will never be an investment so you gotta pay to play. I had a 370Z that after 4 months of owning hated it so I traded it in. Lost a little but I am happy with what I drive now so its worth it.
Its not a V6 vs V8 thread but I just laugh when there are threads like this. The OP indicates he is starting to regret buying the V6 but never tells what he regrets about it. They want advice on if they should step up to a 5.0 but doesn't say what he doesn't like about his 3.7.

How can one give advice to buy another model if we don't know what the issue is with the current model. Maybe the OP will regret buying a 5.0 because it has the same issues the 3.7 has which caused the OP to regret.

If I were to take an educated guess the regret comes from getting his chops busted or looks by majority of people he comes in contact with about buying a mustang with a V6 engine. He can't regret the looks of the 3.7, they look practically the same.

What does the OP regret about his awesome 3.7 that a 5.0 would cause no regret!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I bought my GT because I wanted a performance car with a V8, simple as that. The car I had before this was a 2004 Monte Carlo SS Dale Jr. with a supercharged 3800 V6. It was a good looking car with a decent amount of power but it didn't have the sound or torque of a V8 so I was never very satisfied with it. My GT gets the same gas mileage as the Monte did even though I don't care about that because I didn't buy this car for gas mileage. It's a fun car and not a DD.

Buy what you like and don't care what others think.

Wayne

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well, if the OP having 2:73 gears is why he regrets buying the 3.7, say no more. I have a easy solution for that! Wait for it!

Gear swap, under $700 dollars. Bamm, problem solved and no more smart cars kicking his butt at the intersection. I never lost to a smart car when I HAD 2:73 gears in my auto.

And then no warantee, so what was the point of buying and keeping the brand new car again?? He could find even an 11 GT that someone had gotten the ext warantee on, so you can't automatically say the warantee wouldbe out the window.

That and as bad as the stock GT tires are, they are worlds above the stock base V6 tires (again, if that is what he has). But not using those green mileage tires drops you a solid 1.5-2 MPG, as that is what I lost swapping over to stock brand new take off GT wheels/tires.

Combine the fact you really have to get into it to get up to speed with V6 (again, stock auto/2.73), and the loss of mileage from an equivalent tire, and the gas mileage advantage was almost nil. I'm sure I would have been happy with perf pack and the V6, I'm not a total V6 hater. The problem with that is you can then just about get a base 8 $wise since I could find no perf packs new without premium.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I rented a V6 automatic convertible and it really kicked a$$ So really, its enough and I respect it, especially a premium. I did however get a 5.0 there but a lot of untapped potential unless I take it on a track. I do like the rumble of the coyote.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I've got the same V6 that comes in the Mustang in my Edge Sport. I'm less than impressed amd would never own a Mustang with a V6.

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
I've got the same V6 that comes in the Mustang in my Edge Sport. I'm less than impressed amd would never own a Mustang with a V6.
That's cool, then don't buy a V6 mustang. 😎Of course this picture being of a V8 is highly impressive because its V8! Oh wait, my little 3.7 rolls 150 mph too and reaches 0-60 mph in less time.

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Not sure why, but it is an absolutely pathetic setup, off idle, out of the hole. Could not even get a healthy chirp in cold weather with TC off, with a small tire that has no right even being on a sporty car. I suspect it is ford programming, vs the engine/trans/rear combo really, since it has a boatload of gear in first. And before anyone says go get a tune, DON'T, not going to kill that warantee.

I'm certainly was not looking to do burnouts all over the place, but "some" tire spin is usually some indication an engine has some balls, out of the hole. Even the 80's Mk VII's with over 150K I've gotten in the past, for used motors, would spin the tires out of the hole a bit (and that was with a really pathetic combo of 2.73 rear and the AOD non wide ratio first).

·
Registered
727 Posts
If it were me, there's no way I'd trade a car with 6500 miles for one with 40-60k

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Not sure why, but it is an absolutely pathetic setup, off idle, out of the hole. Could not even get a healthy chirp in cold weather with TC off, with a small tire that has no right even being on a sporty car. I suspect it is ford programming, vs the engine/trans/rear combo really, since it has a boatload of gear in first. And before anyone says go get a tune, DON'T, not going to kill that warantee.

I'm certainly was not looking to do burnouts all over the place, but "some" tire spin is usually some indication an engine has some balls, out of the hole. Even the 80's Mk VII's with over 150K I've gotten in the past, for used motors, would spin the tires out of the hole a bit (and that was with a really pathetic combo of 2.73 rear and the AOD non wide ratio first).
Then don't get a tune bro. I agree that in factory form, the 3.7 is less than impressive out of the hole. Sure glad I decided to spend $1,000 dollars on new gears and a performance tune.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Then don't get a tune bro. I agree that in factory form, the 3.7 is less than impressive out of the hole. Sure glad I decided to spend $1,000 dollars on new gears and a performance tune.
I'm sure it is 1000 times better by doing that, but I have 8 other vehicles and a boat that are not under warantee, so I opted to trade the V6 for the GT.

I don't think the OP at that age should get the GT unless it comes with some kind of warrantee (at least drivetrain for a while). Deals are out there if you want to look/wait/travel. This one had bumpers replaced, but still has full warrantee for a long time. If I could not have afforded to go new GT, I would have waited for something like this. Have a full inspection done by a ford dealer, including checking to see if it had warrantee killing tune, ever.

Cars for Sale: 2014 Ford Mustang GT in Oakdale, NY 11769: Coupe Details - 392488046 - Autotrader

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
That's cool, then don't buy a V6 mustang. 😎Of course this picture being of a V8 is highly impressive because its V8! Oh wait, my little 3.7 rolls 150 mph too and reaches 0-60 mph in less time.
Lol someone's all butt hurt. Just giving you my honest impression from personal experience.

A V6 Mustang is just like having a black and white television. It's okay but it leaves you wanting more.:lol:

·
Registered
7,653 Posts
Lol someone's all butt hurt. Just giving you my honest impression from personal experience.

A V6 Mustang is just like having a black and white television. It's okay but it leaves you wanting more.:lol:
Oh no sir. You are misunderstanding of the situation. No butt hurt here. I fully respect and appreciate your point of view. Your not impressed with the V6, don't buy a V6 mustang. That's why they make different models to offer consumers.

Mustang 3.7 = performance
Mustang 5.0 = more performance

It comes down to how much performance does a consumer want and how much are they willing to pay for it. For me, having the 2011 5.0 wasn't worth the extra $7500 dollars but that's just me. I have never regretted my 3.7 purchase!

Someone always has a faster and more powerful ride. Some people spend their time chasing the end of the rainbow always wanting faster and more powerful. I focus my energy on enjoying what I have and not trying to get more.

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
Kona, I know you and I have had some back and forth with the whole gt vs non gt. Going to preface the following by saying I don't want to be that guy poo poo'in on you guys. So don't take it that way at all. I honestly don't hate on others that like yourself opted for the v6 or even an Eco boost. Dude it's your car. Whatever.

But why do you feel like it's your duty to defend all non GT mustangs!? Lol. This guy (op) has basically said he regrets his choice and wants opinions on the difference. Grabber has had experience as have many others. So they offer that solicited opinion and you get a bit defensive.

Feels like maybe deep down your trying to convince yourself, but it's okay. Remember your not out to convince or impress others your v6 is the right choice, because it's your choice. Right?

21 - 40 of 202 Posts