Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are toying with the idea about trading up to a 5.0 but not sure if the extra cost would be worth it .We are looking at a 2012 with 14000 on it for 21000 ours has 28000 .Question is has anyone traded up from a 3.7 to a 5.0 i know a 100 plus hp is nice and the sound of a v8 which i like but any other advantages?

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
respect....

I've driven both and the V8 is better (duh) but is it worth the extra $ is only your call. My V6 is a toy and I could afford the 8 and I love bargains.

never mind that go for it it's well worth it....

dibs on driveshaft!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's a tough call for sure the car still puts a smile on my face when I drive it the 3.7 is no slouch so cost is the factor. If I do trade up the shaft is yours sir

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Check on the cost of insurance as well. 5.0 Mustangs are more expensive to insure than a same-year Corvette.
Moving from a Corvette to a new Mustang cost me about 30% more for insurance.
If you are under 25 yoa -- I'll bet insurance cost is close to prohibitive compared to your V6............But I would not change my choice of vehicle.
The sound of that V8 makes up for practically anything....

·
Registered
547 Posts
We are toying with the idea about trading up to a 5.0 but not sure if the extra cost would be worth it .We are looking at a 2012 with 14000 on it for 21000 ours has 28000 .Question is has anyone traded up from a 3.7 to a 5.0 i know a 100 plus hp is nice and the sound of a v8 which i like but any other advantages?
You can surely lower that, People have bought a 13-14 for 21gs

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
have you driven it (or one) yet?

the difference in torque is amazing. but it would be a hard call for me to spend the extra $.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Just look to see that the 5.0 has at 3.55 or 3.73 gears. I prefer the 3.55 as a nice compromise between the stock lower torque/lower revving 3.31 and the higher torque/higher revving 3.73.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
have you driven it (or one) yet?

the difference in torque is amazing. but it would be a hard call for me to spend the extra $.
That where we are at now spending the extra money for 100 more hp I haven't driven one yet as the car we're looking at is 3 hours away also wife can't drive standard so autos are hard to find around here so waiting to hear back from the dealer mon

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
I will throw my opinion out there...

So when I had my 2014 V6 (as everyone probably knows), I spent A LOT trying to make it quicker and ultimately more capable. If anyone has drove a V6 and then a V8 (both stock), the V8 just feels more capable (obviously).

I wanted something that was strong already from the factory, because in the back of my mind, I was really tired of modding and destroying my warranties.

Now that I own the 2016 GT, I have not spent nearly as much money modding as I did with the 2014 V6. The 2016 feels much more capable and provides all of the power I want/need. I did some little stuff but nothing to really change the performance like with the V6.

I am happy I get to enjoy my warranties now. As I already needed a new oil pan. Every time I drive the GT, it is an awesome experience and I never get 1 bad comment about my car.

Everyone always compliments it and some people even ask if they can take over payments.

Whereas with the 2014 V6, it was ALWAYS constant jokes about it not being a V8 or a "real man's car". Glad that is over now. I never feel the need to prove anything, nor do I have to. People respect the V8 Mustang.

That was another thing with the V6, you are always trying to prove yourself/car. It gets tiring.

My wife and I always wanted a GT anyways. I was extremely disappointed when I started building my credit that I could only get approved for the cheaper V6 counterpart. But after building up my credit, my small dream came to reality.

My wife didn't know how to drive a manual transmission either. But in the 2016, I taught her. Now she gets to drive every once in a while and she loves it also.

People will debate on whether a V6 is capable enough for them. But for me, the V8 was a long anticipated "want" in my life.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
The Mrs has a '14 3.7, and i had a '13 5.0 for a while.

There are a few differences i can comment on:

- Weight. The 3.7 is give or take 100 lbs lighter on the nose, and you feel it. The car feels more willing to "dance," it wants to change direction and feels like it wants to be driven. That being said, i dont think the 3.7s come with driving modes on the steering rack like the GT. My GT was a base model, but in sport steering mode the steering feels tight and responsive, on the 3.7 with only the soft factory setting the steering feels very vague. It almost cancels out how light the nose feels.

-Power delivery. My 5.0 had 3.31s (my personal opinion on the best gear, but to each his own) and her 3.7 has 3.55s. With only gears, intake, tune, her v6 is eager to get up and go. Its not hurting feelings, and its "quick," but its not "fast." Is it enough to have fun in? Yes, yes it is, i enjoy driving her car, but really you just cant compare it to the 5.0. A properly modded 5.0 punching it from 20 mph and dead hooking is stronger than any drug known to man haha. The v6 gets up, but never once have i driven her car and said "Damn haha" like i did in my 5.0.

-Sound. I dont even need to comment on this. We've manged to make her v6 sound nice, but the 5.0 wins hands down.

Overall I would go with the 5.0, as everyone would. The adjustable steering rack is a nice feature. Go test drive one and put it in sport and you'll instantly notice how much more connected it feels than the v6. They each have their perks, but the 5.0 is just too much fun.

---------- Post added at 01:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 PM ----------

The Mrs has a '14 3.7, and i had a '13 5.0 for a while.

There are a few differences i can comment on:

- Weight. The 3.7 is give or take 100 lbs lighter on the nose, and you feel it. The car feels more willing to "dance," it wants to change direction and feels like it wants to be driven. That being said, i dont think the 3.7s come with driving modes on the steering rack like the GT. My GT was a base model, but in sport steering mode the steering feels tight and responsive, on the 3.7 with only the soft factory setting the steering feels very vague. It almost cancels out how light the nose feels.

-Power delivery. My 5.0 had 3.31s (my personal opinion on the best gear, but to each his own) and her 3.7 has 3.55s. With only gears, intake, tune, her v6 is eager to get up and go. Its not hurting feelings, and its "quick," but its not "fast." Is it enough to have fun in? Yes, yes it is, i enjoy driving her car, but really you just cant compare it to the 5.0. A properly modded 5.0 punching it from 20 mph and dead hooking is stronger than any drug known to man haha. The v6 gets up, but never once have i driven her car and said "Damn haha" like i did in my 5.0.

-Sound. I dont even need to comment on this. We've manged to make her v6 sound nice, but the 5.0 wins hands down.

Overall I would go with the 5.0, as everyone would. The adjustable steering rack is a nice feature. Go test drive one and put it in sport and you'll instantly notice how much more connected it feels than the v6. They each have their perks, but the 5.0 is just too much fun.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
you can find a v8 local mayhap not auto but I'd be surprised. Wife not being able to drive your car ain't a bad thing.

just saying

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
forgot to mention just back from having 12 V8's and 1 ecoboost chase me for over 140 miles.....:)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had a 2011 5.0 and totaled it, bought a 2012 3.7 and regretted it for the last 4 years. Next year I'm going to buy another 5.0. Any extra money you spend is worth it as long as you can afford it. I'm so sick of the lack to torque in the 3.7, after owning a 5.0, that the only way I would get a 3.7 again is if it had at least 3.55 gears in it. The extra money you spend is wort every penny.

·
Registered
140 Posts
always go bigger if can afford it. smiles on your face when you downshift and get on it is priceless.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all your input sounds like we need to buy a 5.0 You know I enjoy our 3.7 still puts a smile on my face when I drive it but what zombie said it is v6 and their is that respect factor when you go to car shows especially but I called the dealer but didn't talk price yet they want 21000 which is fair market value kkb but I won't pay. Their price but keep you guys posted ...Also nothing' against the 3.7 guess with us guys it's a speed thing and sound and hp

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes it is worth it. I traded my 14 V6 for a 16 Mustang GT. Its exciting to drive this car every day. The power, the overall feel is worth every penny. I really loved my V6 but life is short.....get the 5.0. You wont be disapointed.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Worth looking at a later model auto (13-14). They are amazingly capable and take away a lot of the driveline faults the stick car has, like wheelhop and a rubbery shifter. 9 times out of 10, on the road, the auto will smoke the stick out of the hole, even with it's too-tight torque converter.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Having gone from a 2014 3.7 to a 2013 5.0, I too can confirm that it was well worth it. My first car had less than 100 hp to the wheels before I got the 3.7, so coming from those lower power numbers makes me appreciate my 5.0 that much more, even in stock form. As much as I drive it now, it never gets old.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts