Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
semi-long post

So I'm considering changing out my 2012 MT V6 Stang. I like it but don't love it. I am considering a few things but have been looking (online only) at C7 vettes. I don't need anything that nice/fast but Love how they look. My main thought for changing is I want a car that is more fun to drive. The Stang and it's looks/speed (even the V6) is nice but there is no feel to it when zipping on 2 lane blacktop twisties.

If I fit in a Miata that is what I would have bought back then...I have even considered a Miata and seeing if racing seats would work but don't like the idea of eliminating the side air bags. I was never a Vette lover but the C7's are beautiful but the C7 new are 50-65K new 40-50 used. I know I can get a used C5/C6 cheap but the looks are just OK.

This will be like my Stang a nice day toy, and I am looking for thoughts on what is fun to drive and reliability/value suggestions. Within reason I can afford a new C7 but I'm cheap and also have to convince Mrs Mud. I have done a couple of trial balloons on C7's with her one "No" and one "they are nice looking"

Just looking for any thoughts/suggestions/recommendations from folks I know

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
If you are considering a 'Vette, why not a GT 350?
I've owned two 'Vettes, and take my word for it....they just don't "wear" well. LOTS of creaks and rattles that will drive you nuts. Go and read some of the C7 forum stuff.
My 'Vettes were a 1998 C5 and a 2008 C6. I also had a 2012 Miata RHT with a manual trans--- and for my money, the Miata was more fun to drive than either 'Vette.
The Miata IS small and you look up at the door handles to Corollas, but they drive GREAT and shift like magic. I have not driven the new model, but it too is getting fantastic reviews. The C7 has sure had its teething problems -- as in blown engines and trans problems.
If you fit in the new Miata, I would suggest going to drive the retractable hardtop, as road and wind noise is a Miata trait.....you could buy two Miatas for the price of the new 'Vette, you know?

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
C6GS. Basically a Z06 with an LS3. Or maybe a modified LS2 GTO or a S197 I Condor. Then again if I had to do it over again; I'd buy a Terminator. Or one of the best bang for your buck cars is a C5.

Pick your poison.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do hope to drive the Stangs with IRS I like the looks.....I also believe that this winter there will be smoking deals on 17's as there are signifigant upgrades on the 18. I will look at new Miata's but know I won't fit 6'3" on the older ones if I kept the roof down the top windshield bar was directly in my line of sight. Noise/rattles are something I put up with in my Stang. Not a deal breaker but not a mark in the plus column.

the T/A just makes me think mullet I'm just not a fan of the style of the F bodies (I think that is the correct term)

·
Lorraine's driver
8,193 Posts
I've heard the Miata's are fun to drive. I drove the first gen and liked the power for such a little car. I didn't go through any twisties, but I hear even the early ones handle great. I'm not a Honda guy (by any stretch), but I've heard the S2000's are great drivers cars. you always hear people say the gearbox is very satisfying. Corvette's are just too expensive for me, but I love C3's and C5/C6 Z06's. I personally don't think I'd could ever push a Corvette to it's limits lol. I'm sure that won't deter from the fun factor of a Vette.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wants in order of importance:
1. fun to drive
2. I'm 6'3" so size matters
3. being able to drive it on 300 mile road trips with little worries
4. a bargain is nice

yeah I know about not being able to push limits....fun to drive is way more important to me than fast to drive. That being said a 2018 GS Vette is the car I would go get 1st after hitting Lotto. I've never even sat in one but I would stop at the Chevy dealer on the way home from cashing in my ticket.

·
Premium Member
6,857 Posts
Viper.
I agree a C7GS is a very good looking car. I would love to have a loaded Carbon 65 model. But the 100 grand price tag not so much.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
You could just mortgage the house and get a Hennessey GT, or the greatly improved Hennessey Venom GT.

I just want to drive one for the weekend.

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
Raptinator was speaking very highly of an early 00s Viper as literally the best sports car you can buy for the money on a "budget" right now. I dunno.

My vote would go to a leftover "deal" on a 2017 GT. New, warranty, aftermarket is already robust for it, nobody's farted in the seats yet.

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
Raptinator was speaking very highly of an early 00s Viper as literally the best sports car you can buy for the money on a "budget" right now. I dunno.

My vote would go to a leftover "deal" on a 2017 GT. New, warranty, aftermarket is already robust for it, nobody's farted in the seats yet.
98-02 viper deffintley worth the money. 488ci and makes power like crazy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I had a 98 Corvette that I used to track, It was fun but was falling apart so I traded it on a 2009 Mini JCW and kept on tracking, It was one great track car but after the warranty was running out, BMW wanted $6,000 to extend the warranty for two more years, I traded it for my Mustang MCA edition for $5,000 out the door. ( Brand New)
I liked the Vette and loved the Mini, But don't track anymore so my Mustang fills the bill for me. I do a lot of cruise-ins and car shows and my Red Ryder has won two Peoples choice awards at a couple of large shows, Many trophy's and awards which ain't bad for a V6 automatic Mustang.
I say get what you think you will want but be assured that the Corvette people are nothing but a bunch of snobs and were so stuck up and unfriendly I quit the Corvette club and joined the Porsche / Audi club to track with.
I now belong to the Daytona Mustang Club and the members are great people to be around.
Most other cars are just "CARS" but A Mustang is an American symbol of Muscle ( Even with a 6 cylinder engine)
The Mustang just has """IT"""
Ronnie

·
Super Moderator
17,968 Posts
98-02 viper deffintley worth the money. 488ci and makes power like crazy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Went and did a little reading on some Viper forums for just the last 10 or 15 minutes and holy ****. Seems the 99 is the one to get if you are in the market?

Regardless its like "yeah, do Gen III brakes and a power adder and have fun with 800hp and dead nuts reliable". Jeez...

What about the SRT-10 Rams?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Went and did a little reading on some Viper forums for just the last 10 or 15 minutes and holy ****. Seems the 99 is the one to get if you are in the market?

Regardless its like "yeah, do Gen III brakes and a power adder and have fun with 800hp and dead nuts reliable". Jeez...

What about the SRT-10 Rams?
If I could find and afford an SRT10 Ram I would have one. Great trucks.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I doubt Mrs Mud would buy into a Viper and I'd prob end up in the trees with it anyways.

I've got a truck and a half... a Tacoma so somewhat different that a SRT10 but more practical and 1/2 of a plow truck

1 - 20 of 28 Posts