Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have resisted this for a couple of years as there are a couple of things I don't like, especially O2 sensor extensions.
Anyhow, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and biting the bullet and installing a pair of long tubes and low flow cats. I'm hoping some of you out there have done this and give me an idea about which ones are the best and easiest to install.
I plan on doing this without a lift (don't have access to one) and am curious if anyone has done this dropping the K member with out a lift.
Any feedback would be helpful, but please refrain from the hater stuff, i.e. brand X sucks, brand Y blows, brand Z is $h!t.
Thanks!

·
Registered
449 Posts
I got longtubes done on my 11' over last winter. I didnt install them myself due to not having the time or space to get it done plus idk if I would even wanna tackle that job lol... I can say I got mbrp stainless 1-7/8's long tubes with the offroad hpipe that they offer with it. the kit ran me about $1200 bucks maybe a little more and they are a very nice peice. fit like a glove with no issues or rubbing and that still look brand new although it hasnt been to long. I always think it's a better idea to go catless when doing long tubes if you can get away with it in your state.
The upstream o2 sensor harness will reach without using the extensions but the downstreams will not. I will say I had to change my o2 sensors once after but they were originals and I have had issues since. Imo well worth it mod and it made a HUGE difference with sound.. much much louder

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks
Your signature says Philly, our you in a county that doesn't have emissions?

---------- Post added at 11:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 AM ----------

Thanks
Your signature says Philly, our you in a county that doesn't have emissions?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Philadelphia Pennsylvania, yes we have emissions testing every year in PA but no visual only a scanner hooked up to it. As long as you can get it not to throw a cel in pa you can pass it through. Not sure how it works in other states though

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How are you getting through

I got longtubes done on my 11' over last winter. I didnt install them myself due to not having the time or space to get it done plus idk if I would even wanna tackle that job lol... I can say I got mbrp stainless 1-7/8's long tubes with the offroad hpipe that they offer with it. the kit ran me about $1200 bucks maybe a little more and they are a very nice peice. fit like a glove with no issues or rubbing and that still look brand new although it hasnt been to long. I always think it's a better idea to go catless when doing long tubes if you can get away with it in your state.
The upstream o2 sensor harness will reach without using the extensions but the downstreams will not. I will say I had to change my o2 sensors once after but they were originals and I have had issues since. Imo well worth it mod and it made a HUGE difference with sound.. much much louder

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I understand it, in order to not set a code, you need to turn off the Rear o2 sensors (cat efficiency) that will show as a not ready when the hook the machine up. I usually get the vehicle exempted, so they don't do any of that they just write me up a sticker. In Pa if you drive less than 5 k miles it can be exempt. FYI, I'm on the other side of the state outside Pittsburgh. Hopefully, you are not a hockey fan!

·
Registered
449 Posts
so in that case I'd say the best bet is to go catless especially if you drive under 5k a year and get it exempt. I personally dont like the idea of running cats with long tubes.. dont follow sports as much but I do like hockey lol

·
Registered
449 Posts
kooks are great because of where the 02 sensor bung sits. Probably the best but its not the end all be all choice... other good companies out there as well

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Go for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You don't need O2 extensions. There is plenty of slack to reach the rear O2's. Just undo the harness that the wires are connected to and pull it down.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i purchased my ceramics LT 1 7/8" by JBA with a catted midpipe for $1,200. I never had an issue with the O2 sensors and i been running them for 5 years now.

As far as the install, it took me about 6 hrs, lots of sweat, tears and bloody knuckles as i also placed them on without a lift :(.

oh by the way.....LTs with Catted midpipes is not loud enough. I placed Cutouts on mine right before the cats and it SCREAMS! :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do yourself a favor and go with the Kooks mid lengths.
OK Show I just saw a very detailed thread on another forum by Shaun of AED, he extolled the virtues of the KOOKS mid length and I'm sold! The tuning is specific to the engine as far as timing order and he claims out of all the different headers/configurations they've had on their dyno, Kooks consistently puts down the best power. Now my question is that he seemed to indicate that the smaller tube diameter may be better, so I'm debating on 1 and 3/4 versus 1 and 7/8. also is install any worse better than any other header

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Shaun from AED is one smart cookie, I would go with whatever he says.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts