Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to get 315 drag radials for my car. Currently I have 315 Nitto NT555s, and they clear everything just fine, but I want to get Mickey Thompson ET Streets for it. I've heard Mickey Thompsons are wider than usually advertised so I'm concerned with clearence issues. My rear is lowered about an inch as well.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Just go with the nt555r. I have 315 as well and depending on your suspension they clear and get unbelievable grip. Mickeys are over priced for what they are and how much better they preform. They are better but not an extra 100$ a tire better. And they have like zero tread life compared to the nittos. I have roughly 15k on my current set and they are just at the replace me marks. and mickeys absolutely hate wet roads. My nittos have even been driven on snow and do fine when fairly fresh and rain has zero effect unless you drive like speed racer everywhere.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok Nittos it is then. And would the NT05 actually be better? They're supposed to have better grip than the NT555R tires.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
If you want a tire that almost hooks on the street and almost hooks on the track, go with the Nitto.

If you want a tire that will hook enough to break your rear and trans go with the M/T.

And yes, a 315 Nitto is equal to a 275 M/T. You should be able to clear a 315 M/T.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Idk what your talking about cause my nittos hook instantly. Yes there is some spin but I want that because unless you build your rear end your just gonna snap stuff and end up costing you more money

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right now it's stock with an automatic, minus exhaust and ram air intake, so I don't want to instantly hook or otherwise I know I'll just tear my rear to pieces. I figured the NT05s would be the midway point between NT555Rs and M/Ts.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Idk what your talking about cause my nittos hook instantly. Yes there is some spin but I want that because unless you build your rear end your just gonna snap stuff and end up costing you more money
...then they don't hook instantly...

I'll leave you with one quote:
"spinnin ain't winnin"

---------- Post added at 09:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 PM ----------

Right now it's stock with an automatic, minus exhaust and ram air intake, so I don't want to instantly hook or otherwise I know I'll just tear my rear to pieces. I figured the NT05s would be the midway point between NT555Rs and M/Ts.
On your stock stall, you're not going to tear anything up.

With your power level a Nitto will work just fine, just practice.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I spin because I intentionally leave 40 psi in them So I don't instantly. Who every said you won't break things on stock has no clue. I raced a kid that had just put nittos on his car and snapped his right axle. And all he had was the drs and a cai. You can't release that much torque on a stock rear end and expect it to hold up when it's instantly stuck to the ground. Something's going to give at some point and time

·
Registered
19 Posts
Simple learn how to leave the line. I am leaving on the bottle on slicks on a stock rear and haven't broke anything yet. That 8.8 is a lot tougher than you think sir. Just font be dumb about it and you will be ok.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Lol I'm just saying that never expect stock anything to hold up. It won't happen. Case in point the kid I raced. Now do we know if it was just a random failure or wether it simply couldn't handle it no but it's better safe then sorry

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very true. Better safe than sorry. I agree. Build it I'm building mine now one piece a week when the big moser's come in I'm done and I will finally get to leave in all of the tq! But I'm pulling the front left about sic inches on the stock rear so I think you will be fine with radials man.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The guy who owned my. At before me told me " just drop the psi to about 20 and drop it from about 4500 and you'll just shoot right out. No spin all win" lol not gonna try it.

·
Registered
711 Posts
It's 3.90 gear, k&n cai, trick flow 75mm tb, plenum and track heat intake and long tubes, x pipe, flow master catback. I thinks it got enough power to rip some stuff apart with the stickies on low lol

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll try those Nittos then. I launch as hard as I can now for what I got. Powerbrake it until it can't no more before spinning. So idk if it'll be too much. I'll go with the NT555Rs for now. If I really need more I'll go from there. But I assume anything is better than a street tire and NT555s lol.

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
I guess I've got to bolt the M/T's on my wife's 04 GT automatic with stock rear to prove it won't break anything...been wanting to get it into bracket racing.

To the OP, I had better luck just leaving at idle than powerbraking in my last automatic car. Try both ways and see what works best

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll try both methods, see what works. Thanks for tip though. Never would think leaving on idle could work, but we shall see.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts