Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2013 GT. I hadn't given any thought at all to the back up camera when I ordered my car... or really since either... until today. I went with my mother in law to pick up her new car and it has one. I've decided it's the most amazing thing invented and I have to have one. I asked my salesman about it (same guy who sold maw n law her car), and he said it would be very expensive, and recommended after market. I really would rather spend the extra cash and get a factory one put on. Any thoughts or recommendations?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
my dad put an aftermarket unit on his f250...it's mounted to the license plate frame and you don't even notice it there...all in all he spent just a small bit of cash and it works with his aftermarket 7" screen CD player. Even does decent at night time

·
Registered
41 Posts
I got my 2012 5.0 with a back up camera. And after using it, it comes in handy. It also has the rear sensors so it lets u know when ur close to something

·
Registered
297 Posts
lilredgt said:
I have the 2013 GT. I hadn't given any thought at all to the back up camera when I ordered my car... or really since either... until today. I went with my mother in law to pick up her new car and it has one. I've decided it's the most amazing thing invented and I have to have one. I asked my salesman about it (same guy who sold maw n law her car), and he said it would be very expensive, and recommended after market. I really would rather spend the extra cash and get a factory one put on. Any thoughts or recommendations?
AM has a license plate frame with a built in camera for $200. http://www.americanmuscle.com/backup-camera.html That way, you can put on any type of spoiler you want.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my dad put an aftermarket unit on his f250...it's mounted to the license plate frame and you don't even notice it there...all in all he spent just a small bit of cash and it works with his aftermarket 7" screen CD player. Even does decent at night time
But I have a really pretty license plate frame that I don't want to lose. I'll have to give this some real serious thought. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
lilredgt said:
I think you're right. I think I'll do it!
Mine came with it. It is great as I only back into spots.

The only downside to the oem spoiler mounted one is the spoiler itself... I would have preferred one like the gt500 (at least an option).

I have no seen aftermarket spoilers with the camera integrated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the camera and rear sensing. I feel the camera is a novelty. It was my go to tool when I first brought the car home, but after a few weeks realized the side view mirrors are more helpful. The cam offers a fish eye view that distorts the view. The hash lines are helpful when driving straight back.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chessmanmark said:
I have the camera and rear sensing. I feel the camera is a novelty. It was my go to tool when I first brought the car home, but after a few weeks realized the side view mirrors are more helpful. The cam offers a fish eye view that distorts the view. The hash lines are helpful when driving straight back.
The fish eye view is a deal killer. The one on my mother in law's edge isn't like that. I want it to look like hers or I won't get it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You need to check out my post 1/1/13, how to install a backup camera in a 13 CS/GT.
I installed an echomaster VM150 on the underside of the spoiler (which the dealer said couldn't be done) for less than $150. The advantage of the underside of the spoiler vs. the license plate is two-fold, one-the lens stays cleaner, two-the viewing perspective is better (note that Ford does not have any factory cams at the license plate). The fish eye is caused by a lens perspective greater than 150degrees.
Good luck.
Dan

·
Registered
45 Posts
mtnman325 said:
You need to check out my post 1/1/13, how to install a backup camera in a 13 CS/GT.
I installed an echomaster VM150 on the underside of the spoiler (which the dealer said couldn't be done) for less than $150. The advantage of the underside of the spoiler vs. the license plate is two-fold, one-the lens stays cleaner, two-the viewing perspective is better (note that Ford does not have any factory cams at the license plate). The fish eye is caused by a lens perspective greater than 150degrees.
Good luck.
Dan
How did you connect the camera to the factory Sync/Navigation unit? I'd like to add a camera to my '13 GT as well, and was told the only way to do it is by purchasing either a Nav Tv unit or a Lockpick unit. They both offer numerous other features which I don't need; I just want to view the image from a rear camera on my factory screen.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What happened with my car is that the dealership agreed to install the backup camera, which I took to be a factory camera...in actuality they contracted an aftermarket installer who installed a license plate fish eye camera. When I told them it wasn't what I wanted, they said it couldn't be done, and I just had the camera supplier give me a camera that I chose, then I installed it. He had already put in the wire from the trunk to the area behind the display, which I assume hooks to an input feed to the display, so I installed the camera at the spoiler and then just hooked up to his installed wire, which displays the image on the nav screen when I go into reverse.

·
Registered
45 Posts
mtnman325 said:
What happened with my car is that the dealership agreed to install the backup camera, which I took to be a factory camera...in actuality they contracted an aftermarket installer who installed a license plate fish eye camera. When I told them it wasn't what I wanted, they said it couldn't be done, and I just had the camera supplier give me a camera that I chose, then I installed it. He had already put in the wire from the trunk to the area behind the display, which I assume hooks to an input feed to the display, so I installed the camera at the spoiler and then just hooked up to his installed wire, which displays the image on the nav screen when I go into reverse.
I'd love to know how you hooked it up to the Mav screen. I asked my local dealer and they have no idea

1 - 20 of 27 Posts