Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys went to auto parts store and could only find seafoaming spray I was wondering if this is as good as the liquid stuff I've seen used in videos. Also wondering if anyone's used this stuff and could give any tips.

image-2142463494.jpg

Is it used the exact same way?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've also seen people pouring into a vacuum line an others spraying into the throttle body. Curious if both should b done or if doing one is better than the other. Also ppl add to the gas tank, wondering if the spray seafoam is safe to perform this

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:23 PM ----------

And I've seen ppl pour into oil so is it safe to use the spray kind on all three or should I return the spray and try to find some liquid seafoam
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Hey guys went to auto parts store and could only find seafoaming spray I was wondering if this is as good as the liquid stuff I've seen used in videos. Also wondering if anyone's used this stuff and could give any tips.

View attachment 76571

Is it used the exact same way?
More or less, yes, it's used the same way, same product, different delivery method. Check out the vendor videos from Seafoam for using it, they explain a bit more in detail. You can use it via the throttle body or vacuum line connected to your power brake booster.

I've used both and prefer the liquid, because I can control the amount i'm adding a little easier than an aerosol, and also know how much I've used. (half a can, 3/4, etc...which is hard to gauge with an aerosol)

Be careful not to use too much, less is more with the spray. I can tell you firsthand that once i used it on a 2005 Cadillac STS (at 100,000 miles) and used too much. It cleaned the engine so well that it caused my car to leak around the piston rings. Good=it cleaned it, Bad=it cleaned it so well that it burned off the buildup around my worn piston rings that was keeping the compression 100%, causing a bit of leaking. It wasn't a big deal, but when I'd start the car, it would smoke for about 20 seconds, then run just like normal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
IanM said:
More or less, yes, it's used the same way, same product, different delivery method. Check out the vendor videos from Seafoam for using it, they explain a bit more in detail. You can use it via the throttle body or vacuum line connected to your power brake booster.

I've used both and prefer the liquid, because I can control the amount i'm adding a little easier than an aerosol, and also know how much I've used. (half a can, 3/4, etc...which is hard to gauge with an aerosol)

Be careful not to use too much, less is more with the spray. I can tell you firsthand that once i used it on a 2005 Cadillac STS (at 100,000 miles) and used too much. It cleaned the engine so well that it caused my car to leak around the piston rings. Good=it cleaned it, Bad=it cleaned it so well that it burned off the buildup around my worn piston rings that was keeping the compression 100%, causing a bit of leaking. It wasn't a big deal, but when I'd start the car, it would smoke for about 20 seconds, then run just like normal.
I picked up the liquid kind I'm gunna go w that. So when u used too much how much did u use? And did u do all three methods...vacuum line,oil,gas tank??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
I picked up the liquid kind I'm gunna go w that. So when u used too much how much did u use? And did u do all three methods...vacuum line,oil,gas tank??
That time, I used nearly the whole can, I used the spray aerosol one, and I didn't realize how much i'd used...It was one of the first times i'd done it and wasn't sure what I was doing. Since then i've researched it a ton and done it to several other vehicles successfully.

Now when I do it, I use about 1/3 to 1/2 of a can, using the liquid version, and I put it in through the vacuum on the brake booster line. I use a small cup, putting the desired amount I want to use into it, then use a clear fuel line tube (it looks somewhat like aquarium tubing, but is made for fuel) with one end fed into the booster line, then the other end I slowly dip into the cup, while pinching the line to control the flow. More than a mist is usually too much and will make the car stall. I feed it in, then when i'm finished I shut the car off, reconnect the booster line, put the rest of the seafoam I have left in the bottle into the gas tank, and wait overnight to run the car again. The next day i'll usually top off the gas tank to mix up the seafoam. You'll also want to change your oil shortly after doing this, because that crap you burn off...some of it goes into the oil, and you don't want that in your engine.

Watch the videos online, you'll see what to expect. You'll have some smoking, etc, that's all normal, so are the increased performance and responsiveness after a treatment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,311 Posts
That time, I used nearly the whole can, I used the spray aerosol one, and I didn't realize how much i'd used...It was one of the first times i'd done it and wasn't sure what I was doing. Since then i've researched it a ton and done it to several other vehicles successfully.

Now when I do it, I use about 1/3 to 1/2 of a can, using the liquid version, and I put it in through the vacuum on the brake booster line. I use a small cup, putting the desired amount I want to use into it, then use a clear fuel line tube (it looks somewhat like aquarium tubing, but is made for fuel) with one end fed into the booster line, then the other end I slowly dip into the cup, while pinching the line to control the flow. More than a mist is usually too much and will make the car stall. I feed it in, then when i'm finished I shut the car off, reconnect the booster line, put the rest of the seafoam I have left in the bottle into the gas tank, and wait overnight to run the car again. The next day i'll usually top off the gas tank to mix up the seafoam. You'll also want to change your oil shortly after doing this, because that crap you burn off...some of it goes into the oil, and you don't want that in your engine.

Watch the videos online, you'll see what to expect. You'll have some smoking, etc, that's all normal, so are the increased performance and responsiveness after a treatment.
that's how i do it...it's part of my once a year major tune up process...

@op...i love the stuff and you'll be surprised how dirty your motor really is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,201 Posts
1slosix said:
that's how i do it...it's part of my once a year major tune up process...

@op...i love the stuff and you'll be surprised how dirty your motor really is.
+1000...I was so skeptical about it before doing it, I had a bit if a rough idle, so decided to do it, put 1/3rd through the vacuum line and the rest in the gas....super smooth idle now, seafoam is now on my annual maintenance list.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Hey buddy I just read this and wanted to put my two cents in, because I actually have used the sea foam product. Yes I believe it works. Use the spray can u got, just disconnect a vacuum tube to your CAI. That way you clean your throttle body some what too, and do just like the video say, you know rev it up a lil then take it for a short spin. And you don't need to put any in your gas tank I didn't and turned out good results. I just wanted to back you on this idea, sea foam is not a bad product...

---------- Post added at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Mathew r Wright said:
Hey buddy I just read this and wanted to put my two cents in, because I actually have used the sea foam product. Yes I believe it works. Use the spray can u got, just disconnect a vacuum tube to your CAI. That way you clean your throttle body some what too, and do just like the video say, you know rev it up a lil then take it for a short spin. And you don't need to put any in your gas tank I didn't and turned out good results. I just wanted to back you on this idea, sea foam is not a bad product...
Oh yah forgot about the changing oil part too sorry...
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top