Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Rick:

If the first and most-commonly-performed mod on 03 cobras is to swap out the IRS for a live-axle.. Why the heck did Ford even put one on the 03 cobra at all?

And why did you want one?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of having an IRS?

From,

Laser02
Palm Springs, CA

·
Registered
219 Posts
i know i'm not rick. but i know just a little about it. irs is very good for road racing, and the live axle is better for drag. irs handles better. which is just like the front end. i'm pretty sure this is accurate. but i could be wrong. that's the only thing i know about it.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Black00GT said:
i know i'm not rick. but i know just a little about it. irs is very good for road racing, and the live axle is better for drag. irs handles better. which is just like the front end. i'm pretty sure this is accurate. but i could be wrong. that's the only thing i know about it.

Well you are correct the 2000 - 2002 IRS sucked pretty bad for cars wanting to drag race but in reality SVT set Cobras were up for handling and that is where the IRS shines. In 2003 they fixed the main problem with the earlier IRS. Now in looking at how Rick is setting up his car you can see it is for handling and not drag racing. I am the same way I love mountain running and there are alot of mountains to run where Rick and I live.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
How did I miss this so long??? Yes, the 03 Cobra IRS is the best of the crop of the 99 up cobras which all have IRS or I should say 03-04, I would think they are the same, they have extra bracing, developed in the Cobra Rs., and 31 spline drive axles, but yes, the Cobra is more designed for road racing, road handling, not for drag racing, a lot of guys buy them for the power then want to drag race, when they have problems or envision problems with the IRS failing on the strip they want to switch to straight axle, I was more than happy to relieve one of this excellent handling and riding rear end since as Danger Dude said, I am into handling, not drag racing, I like to watch drag racing, but my mods cost me too much money and effort to tear up on the drag strip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts