Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so i'm about over this dam car now but whats happening is, it basically wouldnt start today. so i had it towed, the tow truck guy said it wasn't getting fuel so i checked everything and found out it was the maxi 13 fuse. I'm not sure what that is for cuz i dont have the manuel but i bought a new one and i put it in and the car cranked and ran real rough for a couple seconds and died. What could be blowing this fuse? could it be the fuel pump relay? the fuel pump itself? wiring?
please help!

·
Registered
49 Posts
a fuse blows because to much current is flowing through it.
the relay simply amplifies power when it's switched.on, good for higher power drawing accessories, fuel pumps included.
a wire short will also cause a fuse to blow.

the fuel pump can be wearing out and drawing more power, which is normal for an old pump. I'd also check the wire connector to the fuel pump & make sure the wires didn't get rub against the body of the car.

·
Registered
40 Posts
You either have a bad pump, ground or your wiring is chafed or burned. If you are blowing a maxi fuse, you have a big problem. What else lives on the fuse? one of those could be the problem too. It would be in the owners manual

·
Registered
30 Posts
try a bigger fuse if you hadent already.if it blows then you know you have a bigger problem and take it to someone who can fix it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It is the fuel pump failing. As they start failing they draw more amperage.

Putting in a bigger fuse is a bad idea. Allowing more current could cause the wires to burn up. The factory uses the smallest gauge wiring as possible to save money on parts.

The relay has nothing to do with drawing more amperage. A relay is a electromechanical switch. It draws very little current to use a magnet to draw the contacts closed. It allows higher amperage switching that normal switches can not handle. realys typically handle switching up to 10 amps, contactors allow switching over 10 amps.

When the relay is energized the magnets pull the contacts closed. On the contacts is the feed from the battery on one side and the load (in your case fuel pump) on the other.

If the relay was bad the fuel pump would never get power, since the pump works the realy is working.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts