Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been thinking a little and had an idea that I wanted to get everyone's thoughts on if it would look cool and how to do it.

I've been wondering if there is a way to make the Pony on the front translucent and put lights behind it so at night it lights up.

Any thoughts or ideas about this?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
You are about to hear that it is a ricer idea from the majority.

If I wanted an emblem to light or glow, I,would have one cnc milled from aluminum. Build the emblem in two pieces. Have the outer / front of the emblem cut so that an LED can shine through the silhouette only.

That same process can also be done with a 3D printer.

A cheap and easy way to achieve a glowing emblem is by using thick (1/2" to 3/4") lexan or plexiglass. Use a template to trace the long onto the plexiglass with a sharpie marker.

If you are good with a Dremel you can cut the pony out, and carve it. Make sure to leave the rounded edges dull. This will allow them to work in the same fashion as fiber optic cable. Now you can drill a small hole in the center of the back and epoxy the LED color of your choice into the plastic emblem. For a cool silhouette effect sand the entire emblem with a scotchbrite pad. Now tape off the outer edges and prime and paint the emblem. Silver is a good color for this because it will hide the bare, roughed outer edges. When you pull the tape you will be able to wire the emblem into the parking lights, or a circuit of its own. The outside edge will glow.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wow that was an extremely thorough and we'll thought out answer for a first response hahah

Sent from my 0PM92 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I grew up around cars. My dad owned a paint and body shop for 40 years. I have fabricated a lot of random things. I have built quite a few $100,000 street rods. Those cars are all one off, hand made pieces of art.

These days I work in the music, sound, and studio industry. Oddly enough I get to use my fabrication skills for lighting and stage effects from time to time.

I do appreciate the compliment. Hopefully you find an idea that works for you that can be accomplished for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
...and Semper Fi. Thank you for your service as a Devil Dog.

I come from a family of Marines. I have visited Parris Island more times than I remember for graduations. I spent more time on LeJeune than I can or will remember while my brother and several friends stuck in that sweaty, humid place.

I regret not joining when I look back. I chose to party, go to school, party more, wake up one day in reality, and then begin life... ...and go back to school again. Working on finishing up a PhD.

Anyway, I greatly appreciate your service and dedication, as well as that of your family. Everyone thinks the military is a one man effort. That is a wrong assessment; the military requires sacrifices to be made by all who love those in uniform.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are about to hear that it is a ricer idea from the majority.

If I wanted an emblem to light or glow, I,would have one cnc milled from aluminum. Build the emblem in two pieces. Have the outer / front of the emblem cut so that an LED can shine through the silhouette only.

That same process can also be done with a 3D printer.

A cheap and easy way to achieve a glowing emblem is by using thick (1/2" to 3/4") lexan or plexiglass. Use a template to trace the long onto the plexiglass with a sharpie marker.

If you are good with a Dremel you can cut the pony out, and carve it. Make sure to leave the rounded edges dull. This will allow them to work in the same fashion as fiber optic cable. Now you can drill a small hole in the center of the back and epoxy the LED color of your choice into the plastic emblem. For a cool silhouette effect sand the entire emblem with a scotchbrite pad. Now tape off the outer edges and prime and paint the emblem. Silver is a good color for this because it will hide the bare, roughed outer edges. When you pull the tape you will be able to wire the emblem into the parking lights, or a circuit of its own. The outside edge will glow.
I know it's semi ricer. I'm thinking for more show at dusk car shows than I am leaving them on while driving.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I know it's semi ricer. I'm thinking for more show at dusk car shows than I am leaving them on while driving.

For a show application in the dark a bright, thin line will be more effective than a dim, wide line.

I enjoy lighting effects. I have seen some very classy and well executed lights on different show cars.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You want something like this?

I have seen them on Ebay

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You want something like this?

I have seen them on Ebay
I haven't but that was exactly what I was thinking

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
E-bay has them for the 2015-2017 Mustangs. I'm sure they are out there for our Mustangs :)

·
Registered
258 Posts
...and Semper Fi. Thank you for your service as a Devil Dog.

I come from a family of Marines. I have visited Parris Island more times than I remember for graduations. I spent more time on LeJeune than I can or will remember while my brother and several friends stuck in that sweaty, humid place.

I regret not joining when I look back. I chose to party, go to school, party more, wake up one day in reality, and then begin life... ...and go back to school again. Working on finishing up a PhD.

Anyway, I greatly appreciate your service and dedication, as well as that of your family. Everyone thinks the military is a one man effort. That is a wrong assessment; the military requires sacrifices to be made by all who love those in uniform.
That's probably the best explanation for it, I appreciate it thanks man

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They work for ours I was just at a cars and coffee and saw one of our models with it

Do they work with modification or do they stay plug and play?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Do they work with modification or do they stay plug and play?

Not sure about that I'm assuming itd need to be spliced into say the parking lights I couldn't see on the car at the time the hood was down. I don't see how they'd be plug and play considering it's not stock option.

A tip for if you do install them, when splicing into the parking lights don't go cheap actually splice it in with a soldering iron and solder don't use those ****ty crimp connectors they sell at Walmart.
The crimp connectors actually cut the original wire in 2 which isn't good and can result in your parking lights going out, or worse a short circuit

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not sure about that I'm assuming itd need to be spliced into say the parking lights I couldn't see on the car at the time the hood was down. I don't see how they'd be plug and play considering it's not stock option.

A tip for if you do install them, when splicing into the parking lights don't go cheap actually splice it in with a soldering iron and solder don't use those ****ty crimp connectors they sell at Walmart.
The crimp connectors actually cut the original wire in 2 which isn't good and can result in your parking lights going out, or worse a short circuit

If I don't solder wires I use a wire tap. Little needle that punctures in the middle of the live wires. I've never had a problem using them, even after the tap was taken out.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Doesn't look Rice to me. Reminds me of an old Indian motorcycle or Pontiac car. The blue shown in the photo is very tasteful.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Looks cool--not rice--to me too.

If you add ground effects lighting and spinners on the wheels, that would be rice-a-roni.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks cool--not rice--to me too.

If you add ground effects lighting and spinners on the wheels, that would be rice-a-roni.
Nope just want to add that. Since I have a Base V6, I thought about trying to wire it so that it turns on instead of Fog Lights. I have the upgraded switch in my car so I could use auto lights, which means the fog light setting does nothing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts