Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
By itself no not really. But if you plan on modding other things, especially intake it will help out. But it wont really alone. I'd put that money towards gears first.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I need advice will a throttle body really work
I just installed the bbk 85mm the other day and did notice a power increase. 0-60 time improved from 4.3 to 4.1. Both timed runs were with trac conrol on, same road and ambient temps within 1 degree.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I need advice will a throttle body really work
A TB by itself probably will not give you the best Bang For Your Buck. But if you coupled that with a tune, now your talking a whole different story. Your newer cars TB is controlled by the computer and less by your foot.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I put on the 85mm TB and I noticed a gain and way better throttle response, but I have longtubes and Boss intake and CAI

·
Premium Member
1,480 Posts
I put on the 85mm TB and I noticed a gain and way better throttle response, but I have longtubes and Boss intake and CAI
85mm that sounds huge lol well Iam glad it's working out for you

·
The Blue Dragon
5,465 Posts
There is too much contradictory evidence of tb really working or not working on the new 5.0. Better throttle response is about the only thing guaranteed by a different throttle body, but not so much on the power side of things

·
Registered
452 Posts
If throttle response is controlled by the tune in our drive-by-wire system, how does the TB improve response? Does the motor in the TB respond faster to the signal from the PCM?

I ask because it seems like "improved throttle response" is the default comment for almost every mod, from throttle-body spacers (which I know are BS on these cars), no-tune-required CAI's and throttle bodies.

Or do I have this all wrong (possible!)

Thanks.

·
The Blue Dragon
5,465 Posts
If throttle response is controlled by the tune in our drive-by-wire system, how does the TB improve response? Does the motor in the TB respond faster to the signal from the PCM?

I ask because it seems like "improved throttle response" is the default comment for almost every mod, from throttle-body spacers (which I know are BS on these cars), no-tune-required CAI's and throttle bodies.

Or do I have this all wrong (possible!)

Thanks.
The electronics send/receive signals faster and more precisely? Just a guess I have no hard evidence of that

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
The electronics send/receive signals faster and more precisely? Just a guess I have no hard evidence of that
+11. Down side is that without a tune you'll not really see the full benefits of a larger TB. And because the computer controls it, it will stay within its stock settings. You should still see a little better response but I wouldn't imagine much.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The TB works well, I was very hesatant to by it because of what people say...but ive learned that people that are saying the TB doesnt work are mostly people that do not have one or they read the same article that I read that said there was no gains,...well I went with the smaller TB because too much will air isnt always good , and the 85mm is perfect and it really is worth buying.

·
Registered
440 Posts
4.10 gears

·
The Blue Dragon
5,465 Posts
The TB works well, I was very hesatant to by it because of what people say...but ive learned that people that are saying the TB doesnt work are mostly people that do not have one or they read the same article that I read that said there was no gains,...well I went with the smaller TB because too much will air isnt always good , and the 85mm is perfect and it really is worth buying.
Have you tried running the exact same mods on your car with and without the throttle body? What kind of testing have you done to show hard evidence of gains?

I am not bashing, just trying to figure out why you say it's better, and the butt dyno does not count

·
Registered
380 Posts
Do you have 3.73 gears?
Yep.

---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 AM ----------

Have you tried running the exact same mods on your car with and without the throttle body? What kind of testing have you done to show hard evidence of gains?

I am not bashing, just trying to figure out why you say it's better, and the butt dyno does not count
I just installed the bbk 85mm the other day and did notice a power increase. 0-60 time improved from 4.3 to 4.1. Both timed runs were with trac conrol on, same road and ambient temps within 1 degree.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I have run it both with all my mods, the TB was the last mod I did and it is a noticable gain, maybe not much, maybe just because it is so much better throttle response it gets to the hp quicker?? I dont know but I like it....was it worth 400.00 plus? NO....but nothing is worth the money spent on these cars....every little gain is a bonus after you put them all together it all works well..

·
The Blue Dragon
5,465 Posts
I have run it both with all my mods, the TB was the last mod I did and it is a noticable gain, maybe not much, maybe just because it is so much better throttle response it gets to the hp quicker?? I dont know but I like it....was it worth 400.00 plus? NO....but nothing is worth the money spent on these cars....every little gain is a bonus after you put them all together it all works well..
So then you're saying there is no noticeable power gain? I agreed to the increased throttle response but most data has shown that power gains are negligible, and it seems as though you're saying the same.

I'm sure there is a better driving experience to be had from a bigger tb

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Most actual tests I've read generally shows about 5hp gain with just a TB. Some show a little more and some just a little less. But they all have shown better throttle response. So if your taking your car to the track, and more specifically AutoX, then your throttle response means everything. I do know when I put my TB on I can't honestly say I gained much in the HP department, but the throttle response was ten times better.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts